Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2023 2:59:59 PM EDT
Last night I got a text message from Permitium saying that my CCW application has been approved, and that I needed to upload my official FIREARMS SAFETY AND PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE which I had already done.  It also said that I needed to pay a "final payment" for my application.  That was a surprise.

I called the Sheriff's Department phone number provided in the email.  After a long menu I got through to a person who was friendly and helpful.  I gave her credit card information for my payment of $53.51 for permit issuance and "processing." and she said my permit would be mailed to me within a few weeks.

So much hassle, so much inefficiency.

But the shooting test was kind of fun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#1]
Congratulations!

The fees seem like a "poll tax".  

How do less fortunate people afford it?  

Are people denied the permit if they cannot afford the fees?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Who did you use for the required CCW training and testing?

I'm going to get off my arse and apply for mine. I'm in Oceanside.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Who did you use for the required CCW training and testing?

I'm going to get off my arse and apply for mine. I'm in Oceanside.
View Quote

I went to this place.  Michael Tew is the proprietor, very cool dude.

https://sotcnow.com/?v=f24485ae434a

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Not quite the final chapter.

I got a call from the Sheriff's Department person who will issue my permit.  He said there is one small problem: The training and testing certificate that I received after my shooting test is missing a leading letter from the number on my SA 1911.  It's stamped rather faintly on the gun.  It's possible that I failed to include it on the handwritten form that the trainer had me fill out, or maybe the trainer people failed to transfer the number correctly into their computer.  Trainer has agreed to update and re-issue with the complete, correct serial number.

What a hassle.  More than a year to get something that takes under an hour in some CA counties, and a matter of minutes in normal states that still require permits.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 1:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
Your experience highlights the importance of ABSOLUTE accuracy in every regard when filling out every single form - no mistakes is the only viable option.  

How long would the process have taken had there not been multiple screw ups in your paperwork?  

These are Party bureaucrats you are dealing with and they do NOT want you to get this license.  It's what they do.  Do not give them any "ammunition" to use against you.

(rant mode off)
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

...How long would the process have taken had there not been multiple screw ups in your paperwork?...  

View Quote

Maybe two months less.

A full year and more to get a CCW permit is ridiculous on its face.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Not only is the time excessive but the fees and madatory classes are as well.  The majority of the states now have permitless carry.  But we probably don't have a chance here to obtain that status.  However, if you aren't, regularly send a letter (not an email as letters have to at least be opened) to all of your legislators (state and local) and the governor requesting they work to obtain permitless carry here.

Yes, your requests will fall on deaf ears.  But should something untoward happen they can't say they didn't know.  Which by the way, like children, "I didn't know" is always there first line of defense.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 4:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#8]
My trainer sent me a corrected Firearm Safety and Proficiency Certificate by email.

I forwarded it to the deputy who is issuing my permit, and he emailed back that he will put it in the mail today!

A long wait, lots of hassle and expense, but we're better off than we were before the Bruen decision.

Thank you, conservative members of SCOTUS and even to AG Bonta for seeing that he was licked, and instructing California jurisdictions to go shall-issue.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#9]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:
Not only is the time excessive but the fees and madatory classes are as well.  The majority of the states now have permitless carry.  But we probably don't have a chance here to obtain that status.  However, if you aren't, regularly send a letter (not an email as letters have to at least be opened) to all of your legislators (state and local) and the governor requesting they work to obtain permitless carry here.

Yes, your requests will fall on deaf ears.  But should something untoward happen they can't say they didn't know.  Which by the way, like children, "I didn't know" is always there first line of defense.
View Quote

The only requirement that kind of made sense to me was the live shooting test.

I've had plenty of prior training, and sufficient trigger time on the three guns that I qualified on.  I can see an applicant getting held back if he or she demonstrates in front of a firearm instructor a lack of working knowledge of safe firearm handling, unfamiliarity or a fear of his or her own weapons, an inability to follow simple instructions like "Give me five head-shots with your .45!" etc. then I could see the issuing agency requiring remedial instruction.

I don't think everyone should carry firearms around, but there's a big intersection between the people who shouldn't and the people who wouldn't want to.  Everyone who was at the range with me that Saturday morning did just fine.  I felt very much at ease being around a bunch of fellow firearm users and instructors.

BTW most of the people in the session were renewing "exposed carry" permits, i.e. security guards.  Recertification on those is required every 4 - 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the biggest issue is people need to know when it's necessary to pull a weapon.

Just because someone takes a parking space that you were coming around to, doesn't mean you pull a gun. Same as if someone is calling you a cocksucker, little bitch, fag, whatever... even if they say it about your mama!

Best thing is to laugh at them and walk away, once you escalate to pulling a gun, you better be in fear of your life! If there's a camera anywhere and you're wrong, guess who's getting locked up?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Starting the process.

Saw this on the San Diego County Sheriff's website:

The following statistics are provided the first week of each month:

Total Active CCW Licenses: 12,882*

June 2023:  393 approved**, 573 issued***

*"Total Active CCW Licenses" - Number of active CCWs in San Diego County

**"Approved CCWs" - Background is complete and letter of approval has been e-mailed.  The applicant has 90 days from the date of approval to complete the Firearm Safety Course as specified in PC26165.

***"Issued CCWs" - CCW license has been issued.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Starting the process.

Saw this on the San Diego County Sheriff's website:

The following statistics are provided the first week of each month:

Total Active CCW Licenses: 12,882*

June 2023:  393 approved**, 573 issued***

*"Total Active CCW Licenses" - Number of active CCWs in San Diego County

**"Approved CCWs" - Background is complete and letter of approval has been e-mailed.  The applicant has 90 days from the date of approval to complete the Firearm Safety Course as specified in PC26165.

***"Issued CCWs" - CCW license has been issued.
View Quote

Good man!  I'm surprised how many of my gun-owning, pro-RKBA friends aren't aware of the impact that the Bruen decision has had on CCW permitting in California.  It's not super hard or prohibitively expensive for most people who can afford a decent handgun to get the permit now.  There are bureaucratic hoops and plenty of room for unexpected hassles such as the state having inaccurate gun registration data.

Getting the permit doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.

My instructor was retired Chula Vista PD.  I asked him one question that I'd been wondering about - Whether an LEO who stops you in traffic or wherever is automatically notified that you are a permit holder.  He said they aren't, which goes against things we've probably all seen in movies or on TV.  They can find out if they want to dig, but it doesn't come up automatically.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have it.  License is in hand with a pretty scary photo of me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top