Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2020 1:57:06 PM EDT
The family and I had been planning a Western Vacation as soon as we heard President Trump was going to bring the fireworks back to Mt. Rushmore.  We had everything planned way before the shit hit the fan, and decided to keep it all intact on the chance we could still take the trip.   Well, we still are taking the trip but now we find out that we have to win the lottery to see the fireworks in the Park.  Well, we did not win.

Any members in the area know of a good spot to watch the fireworks over the Monument without actually getting into the park?  We'll be staying at the Palmer Gulch KOA if thats any help.

Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain. I didn't hit the lottery either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to see them from there. It's only about 1.5 miles as the crow flies but the KOA in down in a valley of sorts. Just FYI, the roads and everywhere will be packed even though Trump will be there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  We'll probably head into town and find a spot along the road if we can. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be packed beyond belief.  We have a spot higher up and watch the cars stream out for hours on a regular year before they quit.  Will be even more this year Im thinking unless they really tighten things up for Trump.

Should be interesting seeing how they control it all.  

Id check out Iron Mountain Road. Has several viewpoints but not sure requirements to be on it and/or park up there during show. Im sure many others have same idea
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. We're going to get a night at the Rushmore inn just so we don't have to deal with traffic. U think we'll mosey up the road a bit and catch them there
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. We're going to get a night at the Rushmore inn just so we don't have to deal with traffic. U think we'll mosey up the road a bit and catch them there
View Quote
I assume you mean the Roosevelt Inn in keystone? I am guessing if you have a room with a west facing balcony you would see the whole show from there...

eta: never mind. I see Rushmore express inn next door....

I am going to say you are gonna want to find someplace better than the side of the road. It is gonna be a shit show. Not a lot of "side of the road" compared to how many will be there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
It's always a shit show of traffic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I'm hearing.  Any idea of how long to estimate for getting from the KOA at Palmer Gulch to Keystone that morning?  I know they are closing the direct route, but the other say about 25 mins.  I was planning on 2 hrs dont know if that crazy high/low or just right.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am going to say you are gonna want to find someplace better than the side of the road. It is gonna be a shit show. Not a lot of "side of the road" compared to how many will be there.
View Quote

Yeah, the hotel has some location they are shuttling guests to.  Also did some diggin on my own for locations.  Man, google earth with VR is an awesome tool to recon an area!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Traffic will be ok if think most of the day up until a few hours before the show. Trump throws a wrench in those estimates but on a prior year it’s normal until 5 or so.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like sizable protest In keystone and roads starting to close at midnight Thursday night up past Mt Rushmore.

Will be interesting with 1400 parking spots for 7500 people.

We will be watching from nearby overlook
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, saw that on the keystone events page. Oh joy.

We just had our fill of pancakes and are about to set off into town. We'll be at the Keystone Project parking lot to get our spot. Then doing the tram adventures and 1880 train before heading back to the parking to watch the events.

Can't wait!  It's crazy seeing everyone come out of the wood work saying how this is a bad idea. Crazy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Left at 0930 took the back road into Keystone. Zero traffic.  Parked at the keystone Project as soon as we got there. Awesome view form there.

Can't wait for tonight. Any one have any idea of when the flyovers are?  We're taking the 2:30 train to hill city and should be back at 5. Then finish up the adventure Park, get some grub and drinks and enjoy the show!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys, I'm in town with my oldest boy (3.5yo) I was going to walk up iron mountain road to catch the fireworks, but that's an easy multi hour hike with him on my back.

Can anyone explain the keystone project?

I google mapped it and it is considerably closer.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
It was a $50 donation to park at the top of the hill. That huge wooden structure you see in town. Was Leary about the view but it's frreakn awesome. Been at the tram adventures park this morning/ afternoon.  On the 1880 train now. Back to the park for a few more things then di met and waiting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
https://mtrushmorefireworks.com/
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Can I access those streets if I walk up?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
They gave everyone wristbands
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Found a nice spot near the Rushmore View hotels.

Only had to walk the little guy back to the hotel 3 times for various reasons :/

But hey, we made it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top