Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2023 3:00:51 AM EDT
I posted in another members thread about possibly moving to the Huntsville area, and it looks like I will have a final job offer next week. I am posting here in hopes of finding out more information about where the best place to live is. The job is located at the Redstone Arsenal. I am looking at renting an apartment for the first year or two, and I am not sure I want to live in Huntsville itself. I have been looking at places to rent in Cullman as well, and it looks to be about an hour or so from the arsenal.

I am open to other locations too, so let me know if you recommend checking out any other areas. It looks like I will be moving there within 30-60 days is my guess at this time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't add anything that hasn't been covered in the other thread. Welcome to the area.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I posted in another members thread about possibly moving to the Huntsville area, and it looks like I will have a final job offer next week. I am posting here in hopes of finding out more information about where the best place to live is. The job is located at the Redstone Arsenal. I am looking at renting an apartment for the first year or two, and I am not sure I want to live in Huntsville itself. I have been looking at places to rent in Cullman as well, and it looks to be about an hour or so from the arsenal.

I am open to other locations too, so let me know if you recommend checking out any other areas. It looks like I will be moving there within 30-60 days is my guess at this time.
View Quote

Welcome!
I’d be wary of Cullman- great town but you’ll have to cross the river each morning and when there’s a wreck it is hell getting over the bridge
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Welcome!
I’d be wary of Cullman- great town but you’ll have to cross the river each morning and when there’s a wreck it is hell getting over the bridge
View Quote

What the man said - There are three bridges that cross the Tenn river. Huntsville is basically north of all three. There is one at Guntersville (east) Whitesburg Bridge (south) and I 65 Bridge (west). Every morning and afternoon thousands of vehicles are funneled through each of these three bridges.  Anytime there is a wreck or ice - and both happen frequently - within minutes there is a miles long traffic mess. A few weeks back a predicted light snow turned into a nasty sheet of ice and where I live (south) there were dozens of wrecks and stranded cars within twenty minutes. This is because the south center goes down hwy 231 to Brindlee Mountain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the potential bridge concerns. Is it enough of an issue that I should consider looking at places in the area around Huntsville or at least staying north of the river? How about the Athens area? My work schedule is second shift, but might be a good idea staying closer for now until I get better acclimated to the area.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For a one - two year apartment stay - get as close in as you can. To start looking for home - 15-20 miles out in any direction. South of the river is fine but just be aware of the limitations. I drove across it to work  for 40 years. Its just part of living here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Good advice, thanks. Quite helpful for a carpetbagger such as myself

I'll start looking closer to the arsenal. I don't need much anyhow, as it's just myself at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good advice, thanks. Quite helpful for a carpetbagger such as myself

I'll start looking closer to the arsenal. I don't need much anyhow, as it's just myself at the moment.
View Quote

I can’t remember.  Do you have kids?

Does the job you are looking at require 5 days a week in the office or can you telework some?  

My current situation is office 2 days and telework 3 days a week.  That might be why I like South of Huntsville area, lol
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Head west towards Madison. There are a lot of new cookie cutter subdivisions going up there.

The Arsenal has created quite a building boom with the new FBI building being completed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does the job you are looking at require 5 days a week in the office or can you telework some?  

My current situation is office 2 days and telework 3 days a week.  That might be why I like South of Huntsville area, lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope, no kids. The job I am doing is 4x 10 hour shifts Mon-Thurs and does require me to be on site.

Quoted:
Head west towards Madison. There are a lot of new cookie cutter subdivisions going up there.

The Arsenal has created quite a building boom with the new FBI building being completed.

I will check that way as well, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope, no kids. The job I am doing is 4x 10 hour shifts Mon-Thurs and does require me to be on site.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. You couldn't make me live and commute in Madison. I live East over 431 near what is called Hampton Cove towards Guntersville.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. You couldn't make me live and commute in Madison. I live East over 431 near what is called Hampton Cove towards Guntersville.
View Quote

Curious what it is you don't like about Madison? A couple of the places I am considering are in Madison. I am trying to stay close to Redstone for the time being. I would prefer to be further away, but not sure I will be able to make it work when I first get there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Curious what it is you don't like about Madison? A couple of the places I am considering are in Madison. I am trying to stay close to Redstone for the time being. I would prefer to be further away, but not sure I will be able to make it work when I first get there.
View Quote

Madison is pretty much the overflow of Huntsville. It used to be miles and miles of cotton fields and now its miles and miles of cookie cutter sub divisions and apartments. It all feeds in/out of Huntsville on two/three main roads and traffic is very challenging. Because the area was wide open and flat it exploded over the last 15 years. The east of Huntsville has pretty much done the same but just a bit slower and has a border of several hills/low mountains and the Flint River.
Still only two main roads to get in/out of Huntsville. Subdivision here, there, apartment here, there - all the same.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind, when other long time locals bitch about the traffic they are comparing it to 1990's Madison/HSV traffic.  I live in Harvest and work in Research Park.  Most days it is a 25 min drive to work and a 35 min drive home, about 15 miles.  (To be fair, I leave home just before 8am and leave work just before 5pm,I have a flexible schedule most of the time)  Beats anything you will find in Nashville or Atlanta.

And I've lived here for 21 years.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep in mind, when other long time locals bitch about the traffic they are comparing it to 1990's Madison/HSV traffic.  I live in Harvest and work in Research Park.  Most days it is a 25 min drive to work and a 35 min drive home, about 15 miles.  (To be fair, I leave home just before 8am and leave work just before 5pm,I have a flexible schedule most of the time)  Beats anything you will find in Nashville or Atlanta.

And I've lived here for 21 years.....
View Quote

Good to know...my current commute is about 25-30 minutes so I do not mind driving that long, especially if it allows me to live in a better area. I am going to try and find a spot close to Redstone (within 30 mins), and once I spend a year or so there look at moving into a more rural area around HSV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Madison is pretty much the overflow of Huntsville. It used to be miles and miles of cotton fields and now its miles and miles of cookie cutter sub divisions and apartments. It all feeds in/out of Huntsville on two/three main roads and traffic is very challenging. Because the area was wide open and flat it exploded over the last 15 years. The east of Huntsville has pretty much done the same but just a bit slower and has a border of several hills/low mountains and the Flint River.
Still only two main roads to get in/out of Huntsville. Subdivision here, there, apartment here, there - all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much what this guy has said. It is commuter central, with roads that aren't really equipped to handle the volume. The other nit-picky thing is In the morning you drive towards a rising sun and in the afternoon you drive towards a setting sun. That drives me crazy. My advise is to live in whatever makes you happy, but I do not like trying to negotiate MAdison in the afternoons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much what this guy has said. It is commuter central, with roads that aren't really equipped to handle the volume. The other nit-picky thing is In the morning you drive towards a rising sun and in the afternoon you drive towards a setting sun. That drives me crazy. My advise is to live in whatever makes you happy, but I do not like trying to negotiate MAdison in the afternoons.
View Quote
This is very true.  All of it!  But AL has plans in progress to increase the number of lanes on 72 from HSV to Madison.  No idea when it will happen but it is planned.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What part of Maine are you moving from, OP? My Dad is a retired York County deputy and they live in Springvale. I can't stand the Maine winters, cost of living or Blue State politics, so I stayed in TN after leaving the Army. These days, I live in Fayetteville, just up 231/431 from HSV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What part of Maine are you moving from, OP? My Dad is a retired York County deputy and they live in Springvale. I can't stand the Maine winters, cost of living or Blue State politics, so I stayed in TN after leaving the Army. These days, I live in Fayetteville, just up 231/431 from HSV.
View Quote

I am coming from the northeast part of the state. Basically in the middle of nowhere. Maine is definitely a solid blue state, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Too dependent on state welfare handouts, and in return the state depends on the federal govt for handouts as well. I am also tired of the snow, cold, and salt eating away expensive vehicles. I can't blame you for staying in TN.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

am also tired of the snow, cold, and salt eating away expensive vehicles. I can't blame you for staying in TN.
View Quote
You'll be good here then.  We shut down when it "May" snow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#20]
They were renting the on base housing to other than military recently.  The houses that the GIs with families were housed in.  You wont get any closer to work than that.

Good luck with your situation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in Cullman. Don't hesitate to reach out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies/advice. Just waiting on my start date right now, and will plan from there.

Quoted:
I'm in Cullman. Don't hesitate to reach out.
View Quote

Thanks, might need to reach out at some point.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't remember.  Do you have kids?

Quoted:

I'm just the opposite.  Lived in Owens Cross Roads in the early 90's - well before Hampton Cove screwed it all up.  My wife and I hated to drive over the mountain to either Jetplex or the Arsenal/MSFC.  Despised it.

Moved to Madison summer 1994 just SW of Bob Jones HS, loved it.  Great place to raise a family; easy 15 minute drive to work; MSFC was maybe a little longer, no biggie.  Close to shopping, grocery stores, Lowes, HD etc. etc. etc.

For MSFC/RSA work, I would say Madison is the place to live for those work areas.

ETA:  If you have school-age kids; Madison is a slam dunk.  Madison City Schools are far better than either Huntsville or Madison County.  One of the guys that used to work for me on the SSF/ISS program helped Madison City Schools get kicked off.  The Bob Jones HS gym is named for him (Edward Zompa, LTCOL USAF, retired).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm just the opposite.  Lived in Owens Cross Roads in the early 90's - well before Hampton Cove screwed it all up.  My wife and I hated to drive over the mountain to either Jetplex or the Arsenal/MSFC.  Despised it.

Moved to Madison summer 1994 just SW of Bob Jones HS, loved it.  Great place to raise a family; easy 15 minute drive to work; MSFC was maybe a little longer, no biggie.  Close to shopping, grocery stores, Lowes, HD etc. etc. etc.

For MSFC/RSA work, I would say Madison is the place to live for those work areas.

ETA:  If you have school-age kids; Madison is a slam dunk.  Madison City Schools are far better than either Huntsville or Madison County.  One of the guys that used to work for me on the SSF/ISS program helped Madison City Schools get kicked off.  The Bob Jones HS gym is named for him (Edward Zompa, LTCOL USAF, retired).
View Quote
This.  I commute through Madison daily, from Eastern Limestone county, to Research Park.  The 15 mile drive takes 30 min or so on most days.  No complaints here, I've experienced ATL traffic where 4 miles would take the same time.

South HSV to CRP, well, have fun with Memorial Parkway....
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I have my start date for my new job there and I will be headed to AL in late March. Thanks to everyone that provided advice/help here. Looking forward to getting out of the frozen north and into the south.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Come on down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome home
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, looking forward to getting there and settled in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Any updates OP?  Did you make it down here, get the job, find a place - all the above?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any updates OP?  Did you make it down here, get the job, find a place - all the above?
View Quote

Sorry for the delayed reply I am just seeing your message. Yes I did move here at the end of March. Tornado warning my first weekend here, welcome to Alabama. It wasn’t near me though. I got a place in Madison for a year. So far really liking the area and have absolutely no regrets moving. Looking forward to seeing how the winter goes.

I intend to stay here long term. Eventually I’ll look for a place outside of the Huntsville area now that I have a good idea of what’s here. Traffic is a bitch at times but I’ll take that over the blue state BS and shit weather where I used to live. Thanks for checking in.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sorry for the delayed reply I am just seeing your message. Yes I did move here at the end of March. Tornado warning my first weekend here, welcome to Alabama. It wasn’t near me though. I got a place in Madison for a year. So far really liking the area and have absolutely no regrets moving. Looking forward to seeing how the winter goes.

I intend to stay here long term. Eventually I’ll look for a place outside of the Huntsville area now that I have a good idea of what’s here. Traffic is a bitch at times but I’ll take that over the blue state BS and shit weather where I used to live. Thanks for checking in.

View Quote

Enjoying the summer?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Enjoying the summer?
View Quote

Sure am. It’s a lot hotter than what I am used to but humidity is lower here unless it rains. Thankful for good AC. Looking forward to the cool down in the fall. Most people I work with are not from this area so I don’t feel like too much of an outcast. It’s a nice area but I can see myself settling outside of Madison county when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Good you are going OK. Let us know if we can do anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sure am. It's a lot hotter than what I am used to but humidity is lower here unless it rains. Thankful for good AC. Looking forward to the cool down in the fall. Most people I work with are not from this area so I don't feel like too much of an outcast. It's a nice area but I can see myself settling outside of Madison county when the time comes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoying the summer?

Sure am. It's a lot hotter than what I am used to but humidity is lower here unless it rains. Thankful for good AC. Looking forward to the cool down in the fall. Most people I work with are not from this area so I don't feel like too much of an outcast. It's a nice area but I can see myself settling outside of Madison county when the time comes.
@Exetik,

So, how's it going?  The Hot weather has now broken and now it's quite pleasant in the morning sitting on the front porch sipping coffee.

You've been here a while:  What's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#35]
So far the good things are nice weather (minus tornados), plenty of places to eat and buy things, Publix fried chicken, lots of jobs here, and nice roads. The only downsides are traffic/congestion and some days it was uncomfortably hot. Overall a big improvement from where I came from. Interested to see what the winter months are like, but can’t be as bad as a New England winter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interested to see what the winter months are like, but can’t be as bad as a New England winter.
View Quote

Remember all those times you experienced 2+ FEET of snow falling overnight? Yeah, that won't happen here. It's a rare storm that leaves much more than a dusting and it's usually gone by the afternoon unless you're out in the less populated, more heavily wooded, areas.

That said, even the littlest snow or ice causes traffic problems and closes school due to lack of experience and infrastructure.

You're not likely going to need as much heavy clothing, though. If you're like many of us New Englander transplants, you'll probably be fine wearing jeans, a hoodie, and a watch cap. You'll also likely be absolutely gobsmacked by the number of people who will clear only the part of the windshield in front of themselves and completely ignore the show on the side and rear windows.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#37]
The persimmon seeds show spoons this year. Get ready for some snow events.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Remember all those times you experienced 2+ FEET of snow falling overnight? Yeah, that won't happen here. It's a rare storm that leaves much more than a dusting and it's usually gone by the afternoon unless you're out in the less populated, more heavily wooded, areas.

That said, even the littlest snow or ice causes traffic problems and closes school due to lack of experience and infrastructure.

You're not likely going to need as much heavy clothing, though. If you're like many of us New Englander transplants, you'll probably be fine wearing jeans, a hoodie, and a watch cap. You'll also likely be absolutely gobsmacked by the number of people who will clear only the part of the windshield in front of themselves and completely ignore the show on the side and rear windows.
View Quote

One of the main reasons I left my old state was to get away from the shit weather, cold months, and salt/sand. I’ve been warned about the roads here if it does snow since there is no way to plow or salt/sand them but I am good with just staying home those days. I am looking forward to the cooler weather. All in all the summer was not bad at all and I can certainly get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One of the main reasons I left my old state was to get away from the shit weather, cold months, and salt/sand. I've been warned about the roads here if it does snow since there is no way to plow or salt/sand them but I am good with just staying home those days. I am looking forward to the cooler weather. All in all the summer was not bad at all and I can certainly get used to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the main reasons I left my old state was to get away from the shit weather, cold months, and salt/sand. I've been warned about the roads here if it does snow since there is no way to plow or salt/sand them but I am good with just staying home those days. I am looking forward to the cooler weather. All in all the summer was not bad at all and I can certainly get used to it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Making another run to Huntsville this weekend.

I like it up there.

View Quote

You know where I hang out - stop by if you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top