Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2019 8:34:22 AM EDT
I might be accepting a job in Frankfort and planning to move to the area. How are the surrounding communities in Versailles and Lawrenceburg? Any good ranges local?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Lawrenceburg is home to the Anderson County Sportsmen's Club, which is a fantastic private range.  Only problem is they only accept new members once a year and that's in January.

Both are great small little communities, you can't really go bad with either.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are nice places to live.

Depending on what you want from a club Anderson Co or BGSL are the nearest ranges.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not live in Frankfort? I live in Frankfort and used to work in Versailles, which was a 25 minute drive. Frankfort is also nicely between Lexington and Louisville.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work in Frankfort and lived in rural Anderson County down on the parkway.  It's way cheaper than Versailles and you can shoot off your back porch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have noticed that Versailles and Frankfort have much higher real estate cost than Lawrenceburg.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
IM sent
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
There isn't much to buy in Lawrenceburg, housing-wise.   I learned that the 'hard way'.   Discharging a firearm in city limits will at least get you a visit from the cops.   Unless "no one knows about" it...
(I don't think it's an auto-matic crime, I think they do it with "noise ordinances")

Shooting off your back porch is only 'allowed' (outside city limits) if you don't ever have any stray bullets or otherwise shoot into or across someone else's property.
Kindof obvious, but it's not like living "in the woods" ... nearly all land in KY is privately owned and I'd be pretty ticked if my neighbors shot in or across my property without me knowing or being involved.
...and I'm anything but "anti-gun".

You've probably noticed that the hills in central KY are fairly mild, so any shooting/aiming needs to be very deliberate and 'aware'.
Shooting a squirrel in a tree with a .22 is probably asking for trouble, for example.   I took this for granted until I pointed my rifle and then realized I had no idea what was behind my target...
(I grew up in the Ozarks ... that was a few decades ago)  (I've developed a much stronger affinity for shotguns since moving here)

Shooting a rifle at the Bluegrass Sportsmans Club ... you'll discover what it's like to shoot from inside a big culvert.... to keep the bullet path from being 'up' too much.

Versailles is quite a bit pricier than L-burg, too, but you'll find more/nicer inventory of housing there.   And in Versa there are more 'liberals' and McGrath signs to gag over.

L-burg is boring and sparse for places to eat out.   I'm pretty well sick of Subway and "mexican".  Places like Olive Garden and Ghengis Grill will probably never show up here.

But if you like nice little towns with small-town disputes and a good local paper but otherwise friendly people and good cops, L-burg is good.
The schools aren't scoring great, I hear.   And they raise our taxes every chance they get, at the maximum rate they legally can.
The "liberals" pretty much hog up the boards and committees.   Seems "The Answer" is always more/higher taxes in KY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top