Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2023 10:15:58 AM EDT
So I’ll be moving from Miami in the next few weeks and am curious where the good beaches, ranges and restaurants are at. Also, what areas to avoid. I have kids who will be homeschooled so schools aren’t an issue just yet.

TIA
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]
FWC public range

It is a drive but it is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it is a bit of a change from the Miami area!  Our beaches vary from reasonably sandy (in the Cocoa area) to reef rock covered by sand (cut your feet up) type (mid county--Satellite Beach, down to Indialantic) and then soft sand from south Melbourne (Spessard Holland) to Sebastian Inlet.  Surfing is very popular here.  Restaurants run the gamut from blue plate type to gourmet.  Would need more info as to what you are looking for before giving out specific recommendations.  We do not have much in the way of destination/high end restaurants--but Orlando is pretty close by if you want something like that.  Fair selection of ethnic foods and groceries.  As noted in the other responses, there are several ranges both public and private that are good.  Also several indoor ranges that are nice and offer training/ladies nights etc.  There are sketchy areas for sure, Cocoa for one (although Cocoa Village is pretty nice); south Melbourne, areas of Eau Gallie, some parts of Melbourne etc.  Drugs are a big problem; lots of meth houses/drug traffic houses in what would be ok neighborhoods.  This might sound negative, but there are other really nice areas; many people work in the aerospace and defense industries and live pretty well.  Surprisingly , there are several good cultural venues and of course lots of natural things to do (fishing, boating, some hunting etc).  I am a long time resident here (50 years) and have seen the area change; some good, some bad but overall, a good place to live.  Let me know if you want more info.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m an active member of Port Malabar Rifle Pistol club if you want to check it out. Great facilities and the price is great. Just about all types of shooting and matches. I’ve lived in Palm Bay and Melbourne it’s generally all good with a few questionable areas. Hit me if you find a specific area you like. You’ll get way more for your dollar in PB.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Restaurants worth a damn

Nina's Cuban Restaurant in Indialantic
Sazón Criollo in Palm Bay
Memaw's Bar-B-Q in Palm Bay
Breakfast in Havana in West Melbourne
The Shack Riverfront Restaurant (Seafood) in Palm Bay
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.pmrpc.com/
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate it gents. We’ve been back and forth the past couple weeks moving things into the new house and so far we love it. We’re in the 32909 area and only been to a couple bars/restaurants and the local American legion. I’ll be sure to check out the other suggestions. One thing I immediately noticed is the lack of freshwater fishing opportunities. That may be the only thing I miss about Miami lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Mister 01 pizza in downtown melbourne.  Pies are so good, owner got over here on an artist visa, an oh-one, hence the name.  They wrap in ricotta, and watch out because it's like a napalm bomb in the back of the pie.  Breakfast in Havana was mentioned, another place worth a visit.  Bagel Joe's off of Lake Washington does a legit egg sandwich, and they got this ruben sandwich with an egg and jalapenos that will change your religion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m in 32909 too. Have a boat?  There is some great freshwater fishing. Stickmarsh. Garcia.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
No boat, unfortunately. I may be able to fit a small skiff, kayaks or SUPs at the new place but I’m shore bound for now. I imagine that grossly limits my options up there.

Thanks for the tips though. Those food spots look fantastic, keep them coming!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh biscuit on W Eau Gallie for breakfast. Yellow Dog Cafe US1 Malabar for dinner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top