Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2018 7:39:22 PM EDT
Hello,

So, I am PCS'ing to Newport for a few years from CA (not to worry, I am bringing 3 reliable conservative votes). What do I need to know? I want to buy a house but am guessing taxes are a bitch? At least the gun laws will be an improvement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,

So, I am PCS'ing to Newport for a few years from CA (not to worry, I am bringing 3 reliable conservative votes). What do I need to know? I want to buy a ?? but am guessing taxes are a bitch? At least the gun laws will be an improvement.
View Quote
What specifically do you want to know? Thanks for your service Sir.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
No NFA items but there are no other restrictions. Permits to carry are shall issue through the towns.

Are you going to live on base? Are you bringing vehicles?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No NFA items but there are no other restrictions. Permits to carry are shall issue through the towns.

Are you going to live on base? Are you bringing vehicles?
View Quote
Base is an option but more likely renting or buying in Portsmouth or maybe even Tiverton. Researching that still. Yes, bringing two vehicles - an Audi and a Range Rover, so should be able to handle winter fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What specifically do you want to know? Thanks for your service Sir.
View Quote
How are the taxes, especially on homes and cars? I have heard it’s expensive there but I’m coming from CA so I doubt I’ll be shocked. I guess any gouge on the area would be useful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Taxes are right up there for sure, but not California high. Depending on where exactly you want to buy a house, expect a 1200 foot cape to run around 200k with very little land. Gun laws were laid out pretty well by 03. Car Taxes are a yearly thing that really don't go down with depreciation of the car, you will also have a city water bill. All of these can be paid online usually with a small fee. Garbage service is provided by most cities.

Democreeps run this state, so we are in a constant battle to keep our rights, we have a very active gun community within the political scene, after Parkland we had 5000 people show up on our side to the statehouse to tell our reps to back off, the still passed a watered down red flag bill.

The public range is in wakefield, great swamp range, unfortunately it closes in a few weeks. There are a couple of nice indoor ranges, Mid State, and Pine Ridge. Other than that try and get into a gun club, there are a bunch of nice ones around.  If you like to fish, this state has really, really good fishing in it. If you like to hunt--Archery, Shotgun, and muzzleloader are your options.

Plastic Drinking Straws are legal.

Let us know what else you may want to know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Taxes are right up there for sure, but not California high. Depending on where exactly you want to buy a house, expect a 1200 foot cape to run around 200k with very little land. Gun laws were laid out pretty well by 03. Car Taxes are a yearly thing that really don't go down with depreciation of the car, you will also have a city water bill. All of these can be paid online usually with a small fee. Garbage service is provided by most cities.

Democreeps run this state, so we are in a constant battle to keep our rights, we have a very active gun community within the political scene, after Parkland we had 5000 people show up on our side to the statehouse to tell our reps to back off, the still passed a watered down red flag bill.

The public range is in wakefield, great swamp range, unfortunately it closes in a few weeks. There are a couple of nice indoor ranges, Mid State, and Pine Ridge. Other than that try and get into a gun club, there are a bunch of nice ones around.  If you like to fish, this state has really, really good fishing in it. If you like to hunt--Archery, Shotgun, and muzzleloader are your options.

Plastic Drinking Straws are legal.

Let us know what else you may want to know.
View Quote
How does the car tax work?

Also, is buying a house there a decent idea right now? I’ve been lucky with making money off houses so I can afford a decent house but am afraid there’s a bubble. Or maybe island prices are just normally high?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like I have to drive thru a bunch of shit states to get to RI, guess I’ll ship my lowers to myself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How does the car tax work?

Also, is buying a house there a decent idea right now? I’ve been lucky with making money off houses so I can afford a decent house but am afraid there’s a bubble. Or maybe island prices are just normally high?
View Quote
Car taxes are based off of the current value of your car. When you register your car with RI, they will assess value.

As for a house, How long are you going to here? The market is a sellers market currently, however that may be very different in 5 years.

And yes Island Prices are high. Portsmouth and Middletown are all cheaper, but still higher than mainland prices.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like I have to drive thru a bunch of shit states to get to RI, guess I’ll ship my lowers to myself.
View Quote
All depends on how you travel--just don't spend the night is anti gun states, the federal firearm travel law protects you other wise. As long as what you have is legal where you start and end for the day you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All depends on how you travel--just don't spend the night is anti gun states, the federal firearm travel law protects you other wise. As long as what you have is legal where you start and end for the day you will be fine.
View Quote
Oh wow, I didn’t know that, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Car taxes are based off of the current value of your car. When you register your car with RI, they will assess value.

As for a house, How long are you going to here? The market is a sellers market currently, however that may be very different in 5 years.

And yes Island Prices are high. Portsmouth and Middletown are all cheaper, but still higher than mainland prices.
View Quote
I will be there for 3 years. Not really keen on buying another house, especially since I know I will be leaving in 3 years but paying rent for that long is tough too- lots of money flushed away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will be there for 3 years. Not really keen on buying another house, especially since I know I will be leaving in 3 years but paying rent for that long is tough too- lots of money flushed away.
View Quote
I will not disagree with you on rent, the good thing about buying a house on the island, is every year there are more families just like you getting stationed in Newport looking for a good home, as long as its well kept, you shouldn't have that big of a deal selling it.

The other thing to think about, is the island is not that far from the main land. I work in North Kingstown and can be on base in 25 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I will not disagree with you on rent, the good thing about buying a house on the island, is every year there are more families just like you getting stationed in Newport looking for a good home, as long as its well kept, you shouldn't have that big of a deal selling it.

The other thing to think about, is the island is not that far from the main land. I work in North Kingstown and can be on base in 25 minutes.
View Quote
Good to know. I know it varies but how long would the drive to base from Tiverton be, ballpark?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]
30-35 minutes depending on traffic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tiverton Rod and Gun Club would seem convenient for him, if he elects to go north of Newport.  I belong there, and it's pretty nice.  Membership fees are reasonable, and there might be a Service discount. http://tivertongunclub.com/.  Newport Rifle Club (in Middletown, naturally) has a nice indoor range, but outdoor range is 100 yds only.  Membership price is relatively high, and IIRC, there might be a waiting list. https://newportrifleclub.org/

There might a shooting range on the Base, for servicemembers.  Might want to look into that as well.   Probably best to contact NETC Newport MWR, at least initially.
View Quote
Agreed with RAF--I would take Tiverton over Newport---Tiverton has carbine classes and such--very nice club!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend living in Washington county. Rural, quieter, less crowded. 25 minutes from base.

I still work pt at PineRidge and there are now 2 more ranges within 10 minutes. All nice.

The public range in great swamp should be open this spring as a rifle range (previously just handgun/shotgun/muzzleloader).
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP might want to know that NETC Newport often "closes-down" during "snow events", even seemingly minor ones.  So commuting in the snow might not be as much of a likelihood as other jobs might require.  Bridges to the Island where NETC is located close down infrequently, mostly due to very high winds and/or extremely poor visibility.

If your vehicle is not an AWD or 4-WD, but instead FWD, then get a couple of rims, mount real snow tires on them, like Blizzaks or Michelin Ice-X, and use those during snow months only.  You will be very pleasantly surprised at how well such tires work on a FWD car; I certainly was.

IOW, snow driving need not be much of a hassle/expense for you.  If you need to, take your car out right after it snows, find a big, empty parking lot just plowed, or with snow still on it, and practice skids, braking, and loss-of-control drills.  Pick one with few lamp-posts, and ZERO concrete islands/concrete parking sleepers.  Best to do selection before it snows, in order to spot such hazards.

Can't speak about Base Exchange, but Booze store apparently is a relative bargain--from what I'm told.  Prices for practically everything are higher on the Island, so reckon on doing a considerable amount of store-shopping way from the Island.  Nearby MA has slightly lower sales tax, and many more store selections than most of RI, FWIW.  
View Quote
Both cars are AWD so good there. Good gouge on snow days. Being in California, haven’t had any of those.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tiverton Rod and Gun Club would seem convenient for him, if he elects to go north of Newport.  I belong there, and it's pretty nice.  Membership fees are reasonable, and there might be a Service discount. http://tivertongunclub.com/.  Newport Rifle Club (in Middletown, naturally) has a nice indoor range, but outdoor range is 100 yds only.  Membership price is relatively high, and IIRC, there might be a waiting list. https://newportrifleclub.org/

There might a shooting range on the Base, for servicemembers.  Might want to look into that as well.   Probably best to contact NETC Newport MWR, at least initially.
View Quote
Thanks man, I will definitely join at Tiverton.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top