Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 5:16:52 PM EDT
I’ll be moving back to my home state of Kentucky early next year and the house-hunting is about to begin. Can some of y’all offer advice on where to look, or where to avoid?  Don’t worry, I’m bringing my conservative values, my voting record, and all of my NFA items with me.

Work will be around South Park View / SDF, and I would like the commute to be within 20-30 minutes one way. I’m thinking Shepherdsville because of the price per square foot and the fact that the public schools look somewhat decent (at least from my early research). However, I’m open to private schools if public schools are all-around bad or even a crap shoot. I’ve heard Louisville does some strange random placement for schools, meaning that your neighbors might not go to the same school as your kids.

I’d like to have land, but proximity to schools and work will be priority for now. I’m originally from a small town in west KY, but I’ve lived in big cities and Virginia for the past 22 years due to work. Im excited to be moving back to KY, even if it means moving to yet another metro area.

I’m wanting to buy something in the $350k price range if it’s going to require private schools, or up to $450k if the public schools are actually worth it. Basically, the areas I’ve started to focus on are Jeffersontown / Fisherville, and Shepherdsville / Fox Chase.

Im no fan of HOAs, but some of the properties I’ve been looking at which have HOAs don’t seem too bad, such as this.

Obviously, I want to stay away from any area that’s predisposed to criminal activity. It’s not going to be any fun if I have to listen to how my neighbor’s truck was broken in to overnight by a group of ‘teens’ or if the local news is constantly reporting on how the gas station was robbed week after week.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Louisville proper, and work in Shepherdsville. Shepherdsville seems like a pretty decent place from what I've seen.

This thread is sort of relevant to my interests, as I'd like to get out of Louisville as soon as practical.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome! I only know Louisville well. Housing market right now is bonkers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Upon further research, Shepardsville / Fox Chase looks like it might be out of the running.

Anybody have experience with the Anchorage area?

I’m also thinking that Jeffersontown around the Laclara Lakes might be a good fit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d advise living outside Jefferson County in neighboring Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, or Bullitt.  Jefferson Co.  schools are terrible, and all the private schools in the area are stupidly expensive.  Oldham County schools are excellent.  We live in the Goshen area of Oldham Co. and love it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Upon further research, Shepardsville / Fox Chase looks like it might be out of the running.

Anybody have experience with the Anchorage area?

I’m also thinking that Jeffersontown around the Laclara Lakes might be a good fit.
View Quote
I run a facebook homes group for shep/hill view area, I also have a 3/2 brick home I’ll offload first of the year , shoot me an IM
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome! I only know Louisville well. Housing market right now is bonkers.
View Quote
Good or bad bonkers from a sellers point of view? I have been mildly considering selling my house in Shepherdsville.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good or bad bonkers from a sellers point of view? I have been mildly considering selling my house in Shepherdsville.
View Quote
Selling Market is hotter than it has been in 15 years..
Peak time was six months ago,  but still is a great time to sell —- let me know if you want a realtor recommendation I’m pretty connected across the state with some who do excellent marketing
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’d advise living outside Jefferson County in neighboring Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, or Bullitt.  Jefferson Co.  schools are terrible, and all the private schools in the area are stupidly expensive.  Oldham County schools are excellent.  We live in the Goshen area of Oldham Co. and love it.
View Quote
I agree with. Jefferson County Public Schools are shit for the most part. That highest I've seen rate a 5 out of 10 on national ratings. That and they have gone full SJW in terms of disciplining problem students. Oldham has excellent schools. Bulliet's and Shelby's aren't bad either.

Louisville itself is getting worse and worse, as well. Crime is up. Metro government provides needles to heroin addicts. There are homeless everywhere. Also, keep in mind, that all of Jefferson County is considered Louisville Metro and will be subject to any liberal idiocy coming-down from Louisville Metro government.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great for sellers. We sold a few months ago. Finally got out of Louisville and got more for our house than we paid and more than I ever expected to considering we bought right before the crash in '08.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread, so here we go.

I just got back from Louisville, where I spent a few days looking at lots of different houses with a realtor recommended to me by family. I really liked the Jeffersontown area and my focus is now on properties that I looked at in the neighborhoods of Dove Point, Saratoga Woods, Stone Lakes, or possibly around Polo Fields, although I think Polo Fields might be a bit ‘older’ and not a community full of younger adults with young kids. My daughter will most likely attend private school.

I’ll be putting my current house on the market in April and I anticipate buying in June.

Any advice or insight on the above mentioned neighborhoods?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
In case you didn't hear while you were here...

Living in Jefferson county is about to get more expensive. The jackass mayor is trying to triple taxes on insurance premiums. Louisville Gas & Electric and Metro Sewer District are also seeking rate increases.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In case you didn't hear while you were here...

Living in Jefferson county is about to get more expensive. The jackass mayor is trying to triple taxes on insurance premiums. Louisville Gas & Electric and Metro Sewer District are also seeking rate increases.
View Quote
Not saying it’s right, but it doesn’t surprise me. Being that Louisville is ran by Democrats, of course they want more of other people’s money. I spent a few years living in Lake County (Illinois) and I currently live in Hampton Roads (Virginia). The taxes in Louisville seem to be on par with what I’m paying here in Virginia.

Unfortunately, work will require me to live in or near the areas I’ve mentioned. I was really hopeful to find something in Prospect, but every house that I looked at was in desperate need of extensive interior repairs - despite looking great on the outside and being in what appeared to be nice neighborhoods. Crestwood would be good for Oldham County public schools, but the only houses I saw out around there that met my basic criteria were ‘modern’ with free-standing bathtubs and white countertops made from porous stone. They can keep all that.

For fun, I also looked at some houses across the river in New Albany and Sellersburg. While it looks like you can get a lot more for your money, there’s toll roads in the way and Indiana just passed some ‘red flag’ law nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not saying it’s right, but it doesn’t surprise me. Being that Louisville is ran by Democrats, of course they want more of other people’s money. I spent a few years living in Lake County (Illinois) and I currently live in Hampton Roads (Virginia). The taxes in Louisville seem to be on par with what I’m paying here in Virginia.

Unfortunately, work will require me to live in or near the areas I’ve mentioned. I was really hopeful to find something in Prospect, but every house that I looked at was in desperate need of extensive interior repairs - despite looking great on the outside and being in what appeared to be nice neighborhoods. Crestwood would be good for Oldham County public schools, but the only houses I saw out around there that met my basic criteria were ‘modern’ with free-standing bathtubs and white countertops made from porous stone. They can keep all that.

For fun, I also looked at some houses across the river in New Albany and Sellersburg. While it looks like you can get a lot more for your money, there’s toll roads in the way and Indiana just passed some ‘red flag’ law nonsense.
View Quote
Best advice is look South and East of Louisville.  Oldham County has the best schooling around.  Plus it's still really nice out there.  Louisville kinda sucks nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Best advice is look South and East of Louisville.  Oldham County has the best schooling around.  Plus it's still really nice out there.  Louisville kinda sucks nowadays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying it's right, but it doesn't surprise me. Being that Louisville is ran by Democrats, of course they want more of other people's money. I spent a few years living in Lake County (Illinois) and I currently live in Hampton Roads (Virginia). The taxes in Louisville seem to be on par with what I'm paying here in Virginia.

Unfortunately, work will require me to live in or near the areas I've mentioned. I was really hopeful to find something in Prospect, but every house that I looked at was in desperate need of extensive interior repairs - despite looking great on the outside and being in what appeared to be nice neighborhoods. Crestwood would be good for Oldham County public schools, but the only houses I saw out around there that met my basic criteria were 'modern' with free-standing bathtubs and white countertops made from porous stone. They can keep all that.

For fun, I also looked at some houses across the river in New Albany and Sellersburg. While it looks like you can get a lot more for your money, there's toll roads in the way and Indiana just passed some 'red flag' law nonsense.
I'll second the South End with a caveat. There are some real gems hidden down some of the roads. However, The neighbors might have been there a while and are running a repair shop out of the back yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top