Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 7:15:34 PM EDT
My job has me moving from central FL to Jacksonville. I’m kinda familiar with the area, and know that I want to live in the general Southside/St. Johns area. As far as gun stuff, I’ve been to On Target in Orange Park and liked it well enough.

As far as overall life, what are some things that I need/should want to know?

What are some good local restaurants? I really like ethnic food such as Indian, Ethiopian, and Vietnamese.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool, if I end up moving my family to the St Johns Co area, there’s good company!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My job has me moving from central FL to Jacksonville. I’m kinda familiar with the area, and know that I want to live in the general Southside/St. Johns area. As far as gun stuff, I’ve been to On Target in Orange Park and liked it well enough.

What are some good local restaurants? I really like ethnic food such as Indian, Ethiopian, and Vietnamese.
View Quote

Pataya Thai is pretty good. Fifth Element is prob the best Indian restaurant now.

There are a lot of Arabic restaurants.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from Moncreif ..

It's funny, there are a lot of really nice areas intermixed with really crappy areas. Riverside is a great example of this where it changes from street to street. But riverside has a lot of good eats and drinks. Five points has a lot of good restaurants, too, as does avondale. Try Hawkers in five points for some really good asian food.

Hit me up sometime. We can do some shooting at On Target and maybe grab a beer at Brewers Pizza in Orange Park. I've been really bad about not coming to the HTF on the site. It'd be nice to get out and meet some more local arfcommers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually go to the Gun Gallery range at the back. Haven't done much since Covid ammo prices though.
Marker 32 has always been good but $$$.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pataya Thai is pretty good. Fifth Element is prob the best Indian restaurant now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool, if I end up moving my family to the St Johns Co area, there’s good company!
View Quote

Quoted:
Stay away from Moncreif ..

It's funny, there are a lot of really nice areas intermixed with really crappy areas. Riverside is a great example of this where it changes from street to street. But riverside has a lot of good eats and drinks. Five points has a lot of good restaurants, too, as does avondale. Try Hawkers in five points for some really good asian food.

Hit me up sometime. We can do some shooting at On Target and maybe grab a beer at Brewers Pizza in Orange Park. I've been really bad about not coming to the HTF on the site. It'd be nice to get out and meet some more local arfcommers.
View Quote

Looks like I’ll have some good neighbors.

Feel free to PM me if y’all are in the mood to sling some lead anytime this summer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Southside/St. Johns area is ok. Gun Gallery on Beach Blvd is gtg for an indoor range. If you want a decent out door range, Saltwaters in St. Augustine is awesome.

Food-
Delicias Colombianas is good.

All the places already mentioned for Thai and Indian is gtg.

Canopy Road Cafe, Metro Diner, Oceana Diner- amazing breakfast.

Safe Harbor Seafood- Great seafood.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
not to Hijack.... but anyone over by on the Beer side of the Julington Creek bridge?

I've ben down for a few months and keeping a low profile (former NY'er) and I kind of just realized that there was a hometown for Florida.

Yes.... all NY people think they are the center of the universe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
By beer side you mean the north side then yes, I am really close to the Julington Creek Fish camp.  If you want to meet up there I'd be happy to buy the first round!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice! I started calling it Beer side by accident some months back (the Broudy's side) to distinguish the St John's side from the Duval side.

I'm right over the bridge in St John's. I'm all about making friends in this current time. I don't like to stress about things I can't control, so I just try to make friends who support my same family values, and stock up on anything lead and brass!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
St Johns side here as well. Seems to be more and more arfcommers popping up here, and I can’t complain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Dont mean to hijack, but St. Johns peeps, check your IMs.

I'm going to be setting up an Arfcom meet and greet soon.  I'll post a thread this evening when off work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Moved to St. John county from NJ. So far, it’s a fantastic place to live and raise a family.

I’ve noticed some hostility from locals who detect my accent and assume I’m a NY liberal carpetbagger, but once they realize I’m on the same side as them and want to preserve the great lifestyle of the area, they come around pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Moved to St. John county from NJ. So far, it’s a fantastic place to live and raise a family.

I’ve noticed some hostility from locals who detect my accent and assume I’m a NY liberal carpetbagger, but once they realize I’m on the same side as them and want to preserve the great lifestyle of the area, they come around pretty quick.
View Quote

Same thing here. They saw my NY plates and they avoided me....

But then I forced them to talk to me in pure NY fashion and usually have them rolling as I curse out Andrew Cuomo in a very poetic way
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I know this probably does not apply to you guys here, but NY/NJ/CT/MA folks across the state have INVADED Florida and brought a lot of their politics here as well.  Duval County voted for Obama and now Biden.  That would have been unheard of 20+ years ago.  

So don't be offended if the folks who have been here all their lives (or over half like me) tend to cast a suspicious eye towards recent transplants.  We have been witness to the demographic shift and seen some of the negative changes associated.  As an example, look at our last gubernatorial election.  A RADICAL democrat nearly won that election.  He didn't even pretend to embrace a centrist platform.  Desantis won by .4% (49.6 vs 49.2).

So, don't be offended.  Just roll with it and help the rest of us keep Florida Red.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know this probably does not apply to you guys here, but NY/NJ/CT/MA folks across the state have INVADED Florida and brought a lot of their politics here as well.  Duval County voted for Obama and now Biden.  That would have been unheard of 20+ years ago.  

So don't be offended if the folks who have been here all their lives (or over half like me) tend to cast a suspicious eye towards recent transplants.  We have been witness to the demographic shift and seen some of the negative changes associated.  As an example, look at our last gubernatorial election.  A RADICAL democrat nearly won that election.  He didn't even pretend to embrace a centrist platform.  Desantis won by .4% (49.6 vs 49.2).

So, don't be offended.  Just roll with it and help the rest of us keep Florida Red.
View Quote

I’ve never lived north of the Mason-Dixon, and my family has been in NC and Georgia since before the Revolution. So I’ll make it more Southern if anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’ve never lived north of the Mason-Dixon, and my family has been in NC and Georgia since before the Revolution. So I’ll make it more Southern if anything.
View Quote

Good deal!  My wife is from Chattanooga and she says the south stops at the Florida/Georgia border.  

I did grow up in the north in Ohio and later in Indiana.  The areas I lived up there is more southern/redneck/conservative than Jax has been for the last 25+ years.  Hell, I even had (still have) a southern/country boy accent before I even moved here.

Welcome to the state!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I take no offense, I can tell you that.

I feel it is my duty to provide proof of my "blood red" demeanor.

Until then they will assume I'm a typical NY dirtbag.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Saltwaters Shooting Club is pretty good. I wish there were more lanes but otherwise I like it. Seems like they have a great sporting clays/trap/skeet setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top