Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2022 10:19:08 AM EDT
It took 10 years of hiccups and starts and stops, but I'm finally leaving the shithole that is MD

Bought a house in Alvaton and move down in a few weeks. I believe i'm 15 to 20 minutes away from Bowling Green.

So what's the best gun store around? I saw Sherwoods was recommended in another thread, anyone else?

Also looking for an outdoor range where I can finally stretch a few of my rifles legs, if anyone has recommendations.

It's dumb, but I'm excited to be able to have full cap magazines shipped directly to me MD is backwards and you can own and use a standard cap magazine, but you can't buy, ship, deliver, or transfer a standard cap mag. So my go to has been buying at a gun show in virginia a few times a year.

Now I have to figure out how it all fits in my pickup to get down there

Edit: Also looking for some good training facilities within a few hours. Open to suggestions
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is your local gun club
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Howdy neighbor . BG here.

I do spend alot of time and money at Sherwoods. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Been a few years since I moved out of Bowling Green. Sherwoods is a good shop. Cheek Brothers is a nice little shop out in the sticks in Scottsville.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Im fairly close to that.

Sherwood is a good dude I'll vouch for any day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Went to sherwoods the other day and got a beauty of a used CZ SP-01 that I can't wait to shoot. Probably will go try their indoor range this weekend.

Once the weather gets warmer (or once I unpack the rest of my shooting gear, whichever comes first), where is a good outdoor range?

I want one that allows drawing from holster and ideally has areas to allow moving and shooting. I belonged to a really nice range called peacemaker national training center in WV when I lived in MD and hope for something similar down here.

I'm ok with driving an hour to get to a good outdoor range.

Help the new guy out
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The local gun club posted above (Green River Gun Club) has an outdoor range.  They've grown a lot over the years, and I think now they have a waiting list to join.  So you should get on that list, but plan to find other places to do the outdoor shooting until a slot comes open.  We used to be members, but that was years ago when they first formed.

I don't know where, in easy driving distance, has an outdoor range since the one up by Mammoth Cave shut down.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Went to sherwoods the other day and got a beauty of a used CZ SP-01 that I can't wait to shoot. Probably will go try their indoor range this weekend.

Once the weather gets warmer (or once I unpack the rest of my shooting gear, whichever comes first), where is a good outdoor range?

I want one that allows drawing from holster and ideally has areas to allow moving and shooting. I belonged to a really nice range called peacemaker national training center in WV when I lived in MD and hope for something similar down here.

I'm ok with driving an hour to get to a good outdoor range.

Help the new guy out

The local gun club posted above (Green River Gun Club) has an outdoor range.  They've grown a lot over the years, and I think now they have a waiting list to join.  So you should get on that list, but plan to find other places to do the outdoor shooting until a slot comes open.  We used to be members, but that was years ago when they first formed.

I don't know where, in easy driving distance, has an outdoor range since the one up by Mammoth Cave shut down.  

how far does their rifle line go?

A lot of the ranges i've been too in the past were seated ranges, and that's gotten boring for me unless i'm doing long range. I'd really like to join one that allows movement.

I found one called Strategic Edge that has a 1250 line as well as pistol / carbine bays, but that's 2 hours from me in Chapel Hill TN. I'm really hoping I can find an equivalent to that closer
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Green River Gun Club does indeed have a 2-3 year waiting list right now.

midtnsportingassociation.com has memberships available now and is less than an hour away from Alvaton.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw that one of my friends is on their list of officers, so I reached out to him and he said this:

"The waiting list is typically a 2-3 year wait and that is after expanding the membership to 550 active paid members

Three years ago we started a complete overhaul of the club.  You would not recognize it now.

We've put in a new front gate and fencing, signs, a community information area, a trap range with trap house, and we're getting ready to start five stand.

There five pistol bays, a shoot house with 125 yard carbine range, a small bore range that is 120 yards. 3D archery, a cross bow range, and a bag archery range.

There is a rifle range that goes out to 400 yards and a cowboy action shooting village.

We are in process of building a 20 target competition 3D archery course.

I think that sums it up.

For scheduled matches we have trap, steel plate, 2-Gun, ARA, Single Action Shooting Society and I run the military matches - pistol, black powder and vintage military rifle.

Let me know if that covers what you need"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how far does their rifle line go?

A lot of the ranges i've been too in the past were seated ranges, and that's gotten boring for me unless i'm doing long range. I'd really like to join one that allows movement.

I found one called Strategic Edge that has a 1250 line as well as pistol / carbine bays, but that's 2 hours from me in Chapel Hill TN. I'm really hoping I can find an equivalent to that closer

I saw that one of my friends is on their list of officers, so I reached out to him and he said this:

"The waiting list is typically a 2-3 year wait and that is after expanding the membership to 550 active paid members

Three years ago we started a complete overhaul of the club.  You would not recognize it now.

We've put in a new front gate and fencing, signs, a community information area, a trap range with trap house, and we're getting ready to start five stand.

There five pistol bays, a shoot house with 125 yard carbine range, a small bore range that is 120 yards. 3D archery, a cross bow range, and a bag archery range.

There is a rifle range that goes out to 400 yards and a cowboy action shooting village.

We are in process of building a 20 target competition 3D archery course.

I think that sums it up.

For scheduled matches we have trap, steel plate, 2-Gun, ARA, Single Action Shooting Society and I run the military matches - pistol, black powder and vintage military rifle.

Let me know if that covers what you need"

That'd do it. i signed up for the wait list, I guess I wait now
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top