Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2024 1:54:25 PM EDT
I haven’t had a chance to grab 10 round mags for my main EDC. Can I just load my 12 or 15 round mags to 10?

I’m guessing that’s a big, fat, “no” but I wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BoomFootShot:
I haven't had a chance to grab 10 round mags for my main EDC. Can I just load my 12 or 15 round mags to 10?

I'm guessing that's a big, fat, "no" but I wanted to be sure.
View Quote
No. Possession of an "ammunition feeding device" capable of holding more than 10 rounds is either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on when it was made (probably a felony now due to all the recent laws passed). At one time a so-called "pre-ban" magazine made before the 1994 AWB was only a misdemeanor but a post-ban was a felony. The SAFE Act ramped things up so even possession of even grandfathered pre-ban's was prohibited.

Also the SAFE Act stipulated that no more than 7 rounds could be loaded into a 10 round magazine. The Federal court struck that provision down but it has never been repealed and there is the occasional report of people in some jurisdictions being charged with that until somebody in the DA's office wakes up and drops the charge. The old "you may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride" scenario.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha. Thank you!  

So irritated I was forced to move back to the shit hole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell everything and take up golf.. at least a golf club can't be charged with bs laws..
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cviss:
Sell everything and take up golf.. at least a golf club can't be charged with bs laws..
View Quote

Not yet...
But its NY, sooo... Not. yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t had a chance to grab 10 round mags for my main EDC. Can I just load my 12 or 15 round mags to 10?

I’m guessing that’s a big, fat, “no” but I wanted to be sure.
View Quote

Do you have a NYS Pistol License?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#6]
Yeah...assuming you don't have a NY pistol permit...so you can't even bring your handguns into NY or even possess them in your home until you get your pistol permit. And that can take years to get.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:

Do you have a NYS Pistol License?
View Quote

Yup. All good with that. Thank you though for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#8]
Gotcha. Thank you!  

View Quote

You have my condolences...  You all might have read a post or two from me on here, even though I'm down here in Virginia.

* Grew up as the son of a high ranking IBM engineer outside of Poughkeepsie, NY back in the 50's, 60's & 70's.
* Pop rose up within IBM and got "up there" if you know what i mean... We soon bought a lakefront summer home up in the Adirondacks...
* Now, now, now, no bragging... We kids weren't spoiled... We were just "comfortable" I guess that would be a better term.
* Me being the "baby" of the family, all my older sisters were either in college or married.  After my dad retired, I still had to finish high school and figure out what I wanted to do.  My dad saw fit that I join the military, because he seriously hated my long hair, rebellious attitude, and rock 'n roll electric guitar playing.  After a disastrous "show-down" (I lost!) the choice became crystal clear.  I joined the US Coast Guard and served a career and retired.

Coast Guard
I was stationed here, there, all over... Cape May, NJ.  California, Governors Island, NY City!, Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY, Boston MA (Twice!), Florida, etc... etc...
Once it came time to retire (I met my wife while stationed in Buffalo - she's from West Seneca), and we were trying to figure out where to move to, where to settle down, where to find a decent job on top of a military retirement...  Both our families told us point blank:  DON'T COME BACK HOME!  THERE'S NOTHING HERE FOR YOU!  They weren't being rude, they were being truthful.  My wife, kids, and I have lived all over the place and have seen all sorts of different things.  We decided to settle in Virginia, and the rest is history.

My family/friends/cousins/etc...
Poughkeepsie, Utica, Syracuse, Auburn/Weedsport/Port Byron, and also way up in the northern Adirondacks up beyond Saranac Lake.

My wife's family/friends/cousins/etc...
Buffalo, West Seneca, Orchard Park (Buffalo Bills stadium!), and down towards the "south towns" of Gowanda, Ellicottville, etc...

In summary:
THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT WOULD MAKE ME MOVE BACK TO NEW YORK!!!

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ButchA61:

You have my condolences...  You all might have read a post or two from me on here, even though I'm down here in Virginia.

* Grew up as the son of a high ranking IBM engineer outside of Poughkeepsie, NY back in the 50's, 60's & 70's.
* Pop rose up within IBM and got "up there" if you know what i mean... We soon bought a lakefront summer home up in the Adirondacks...
* Now, now, now, no bragging... We kids weren't spoiled... We were just "comfortable" I guess that would be a better term.
* Me being the "baby" of the family, all my older sisters were either in college or married.  After my dad retired, I still had to finish high school and figure out what I wanted to do.  My dad saw fit that I join the military, because he seriously hated my long hair, rebellious attitude, and rock 'n roll electric guitar playing.  After a disastrous "show-down" (I lost!) the choice became crystal clear.  I joined the US Coast Guard and served a career and retired.

Coast Guard
I was stationed here, there, all over... Cape May, NJ.  California, Governors Island, NY City!, Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY, Boston MA (Twice!), Florida, etc... etc...
Once it came time to retire (I met my wife while stationed in Buffalo - she's from West Seneca), and we were trying to figure out where to move to, where to settle down, where to find a decent job on top of a military retirement...  Both our families told us point blank:  DON'T COME BACK HOME!  THERE'S NOTHING HERE FOR YOU!  They weren't being rude, they were being truthful.  My wife, kids, and I have lived all over the place and have seen all sorts of different things.  We decided to settle in Virginia, and the rest is history.

Poughkeepsie, Utica, Syracuse, Auburn/Weedsport/Port Byron, and also way up in the northern Adirondacks up beyond Saranac Lake.

Buffalo, West Seneca, Orchard Park (Buffalo Bills stadium!), and down towards the "south towns" of Gowanda, Ellicottville, etc...

In summary:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Gotcha. Thank you!  

Coast Guard

In summary:

Conversely, I am glad to be back in NY.  My wife wanted to move back and being close to family was more important to me than money and everything else that comes with being outside of NY.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree butch. Besides military deployments my entire life and that of my wife was spent in WNY.

We grew up in west Seneca , briefly lived as newlyweds in orchard park then built the dream house I thought I would live in until the day I die- a custom built 2600+ SF log cabin on 6.5 acres in rural cattaraugus county.

As years went by, all our parents died and while we don’t have kids my brother and sister do, and half of them moved out of WNY ( my sister her husband and two sons with their families still live in WNY ) my brother another long time gun guy, is currently moving to PA near where his eldest daughter lives.

The taxes, politics gun laws weather and so few family left made staying in WNY impractical and illogical. We made a great leap of faith 8&1/2 years ago selling nearly everything we own ( from that big cabin full of stuff plus a 3 car garage with 5 cars, atv duck boat etc) down to a single 7x7x6 storage container shipped to our new destination.
We moved to gun heaven Arizona, and we would do it all over again. No regrets.

I would return to NY to provide TEMPORARY aid to a friend or family member in need, but I am never under any circumstances moving back.
I have often said in these very pages that if someone offered me a million bucks a year for life with the stipulation I would have to move back to NY and live out my life there, I could EASILY say no without a blink
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Coast Guard

In summary:

View Quote

I agree... my mother, father, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, were born and still live there in WNY and even my son moved back to NY last year...  I have not stepped foot in NY since a 2017 visit for a dying friend. it just reminded me that I don't belong there.
My parents thought I was nuts as a kid growing up in Tonawanda NY, I always talked about living somewhere else. Born and raised there and it never felt like home. I am so content with where I am now..it is, has become home. I miss nothing about NY... nothing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PattyOSullivan: being close to family was more important to me than money
View Quote

Then I would have used my money to move my family close to me and had the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Zero6:

Then I would have used my money to move my family close to me and had the best of both worlds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zero6:
Originally Posted By PattyOSullivan: being close to family was more important to me than money

TX sucked, worst place I've ever lived by far.  Ohio was fine. Moving family isn't about money, but I am sure you know that.

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it was magpul that made limiting blocks you could insert in 10+ round mags to limit them to ten, not sure if they are still available

In typical NY fashion, the original safe act said you could permanently modify full cap mags to ten or less and be legal, but would never define in writing what modifications would be considered permanent !

I still lived in NY when the safe act passed and you could literally call the NYSP safe act hotline with a question on 3 different days and get 3 different answers!

And when asked can I get something in writing to verify the modification I was going to do was legal the answer was no.

Lots of people either dumped semi autos all together ( I still miss the Colt 9mm AR I had that got sold - at a tremendous profit but still- as I could not get limited capacity magazines for it at the time and had hundreds of dollars tied up in 20 and 32 round colt magazines)

Or said to hell with it and just accepted being non compliant and buried guns in the back of the safe.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
FNY, FNYC, F Albany!

I feel sorry for friends stuck behind enemy lines.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top