Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2019 1:03:11 PM EDT
I really wanted to try ice fishing when I was up here last year and didn't get to. This year I decided to just pay a guide and go. Went yesterday with Fish with Jim Outfitters on Lake Charlevoix. Had a great time and caught lots of fish. If I end up staying in a colder climate, I can see myself getting addicted to ice fishing.

Here was out transport out onto the lake..

Inside the shanty, heater and a fish finder. The fish finder was the key. The water was 100 feet deep, It allowed you to get your bait to where the fish were.

We started off catching a couple of Cisco. I had never even heard of these. They're related to a Whitefish and fun to catch. Good fried and supposed to be great smoked. After catching one Cisco, I got another bite. It was pretty obvious it was a bigger fish. I was beyond happy when the guide helped me get this guy up through the ice. Lake Trout.

Suprisingly, my next bite was another one.

We fished a few more hours and caught more Cisco than we could handle. They come through in schools and it was cool to watch the fish finder light up when they were under us. Once I got the hang of reading the screen, it was fun to watch them chase the lure up and down until one finally bit. You could literally get them to follow the lure up and down several times before one would finally hit. Here's our haul at the end of the day. My wife and son went along for the experience. They caught one fish each and then spent the day playing on the frozen lake and chatting with the guides. The fish were caught by me, the guides and one other client. Amazing day..

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent 39 years living up north. Never once did I even think about ice fishing.  Glad you had a good time though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics.

Do not miss it at all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, at least you didn't have to buy ice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, at least you didn't have to buy ice.
View Quote
no need for a Yeti when you’re sitting on thousands of acres of ice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like lots of delicious dinners layed out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
yes keeping warm is the key ..lots of fun im going to Rochester ny next week hoping to get out with a buddy of mine .
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes keeping warm is the key ..lots of fun im going to Rochester ny next week hoping to get out with a buddy of mine .
View Quote
Wasn’t  bad that day, in the 20s. With the heated shanty, it was nice and warm. With some decent layers on, it’s really not bad to be out in the teens. When it starts getting into single digits or gets windy is when it starts to get uncomfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top