Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2020 10:36:31 AM EDT
Is it legal to turn a high capacity Sig pistol mag into a 10 rd California compliant mag?  If so what do they require as far as being a permanent modification or acceptable modification?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean just use all those standard capacity mags that were bought during freedom week correct?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No but thanks for the help.  I will be sending two Sig pistols to my son as soon as he returns there from Afghanistan.  Jerk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You used to be able to put a rivet in that would stop the follower at 10. I’m not certain if that is still applicable though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You ask a question but give no details, a member replies with legitimate information, then you provide vital information and call him a jerk.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
"Permanent" isn't defined in the law, and there is no reference to any special legal definitions located elsewhere, either.  

There's definitely disagreement on what constitutes "permanent".
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No but thanks for the help.  I will be sending two Sig pistols to my son as soon as he returns there from Afghanistan.  Jerk.
View Quote

You need to chill the fuck out, I gave you a solution to the problem you were asking about.  Go to google and type in “California freedom week” and see what comes up.  While you are at it you can also google the laws for reducing capacity of standard magazines to low capacity in CA if you want.  It’s amazing to me that arfcom thinks Californians are sensitive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just buy him some 10 round mags, it will be easier and keep you out of trouble if done wrong!

As the other member touched on, you could just send him the mags and he could say that he bought them during freedom week! Yes, it's illegal and could get you both in trouble but most could care less and would go with don't ask don't tell. Most of the guys here could give two fucks what CA thinks and would tell their relatives to send them and don't worry about it.

If you're worried about it, then buy him some 10 round mags.
View Quote

There are ways of getting around unjust laws without actually breaking any laws with a bit of creativity.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it legal to turn a high capacity Sig pistol mag into a 10 rd California compliant mag?  If so what do they require as far as being a permanent modification or acceptable modification?
View Quote

Is it legal?  Yes.  I seem to recall having read some discussions about conversions, possibly in the work up to the laws and later inclusions in the California Code of Regulations.  You could check with the CRPA and see if they have some information.  In the past, I purchased commercially converted mags which used blocks, rivets, etc.  My impression is the conversion is not supposed to be readily reversible, that is, not without destroying the magazine.  That would suggest a rivet that could be drilled out may not make it?  That's my impression.  I can't point you a spot in the laws or Code of Regulations that says that.

Legally, right now, one may not import or manufacture magazines holding more than 10 rounds.  There are licensed dealers that can do conversions and/or sell over capacity mags to authorized users.  That might be a possibility if having trouble finding the specific mags you need.  I suppose a Google search would turn them up.

The wink, wink, nudge nudge, idea that one can simply ignore the laws, is of course, not something I would suggest, remaining compliant with the CoCs.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, someone’s having a case of the fucking Monday’s on a damn Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing is permanent.  Absolutely NOTHING is permanent.  It is a fictitious, falacious concept.  It is impossible to achieve.

Epoxy bonding can be reversed with heat.

Welding can be reversed with grinding.

Riveting can be reversed by drilling.

Screws can be unscrewed.

Cutting off can be reversed by extending.

Blocks can be taken out.

Have I mentioned 3D printing yet?

Show me a design (high cap or low cap) and I will show you how to reverse it.

I could go on and on.

Freedom week was fantastic!  It felt like a week-long party where the beverage of choice was freedom.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top