Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2021 6:07:47 PM EDT
Hey guys,
At work today it looks like I might move over to Texas from Arizona in either the first wave in 1 year or the next wave in 3 years. I have an option to stay in Arizona but not sure I want to long term. Just wanted to check how things are going over there. I’m use to Arizona red politics and gun rights.
Questions i had and was hoping someone can chime in
1. How are gun rights favoring around San Antonio and in Texas
2. How is housing
3. Anything fun to do in the area
4. Any good 2 gun matches in the area?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
1. How are gun rights favoring around San Antonio and in Texas - When Gov Abbot signs then we will be the 21st Constitutional carry state, Sanctuary state and if the pasts came from Texas, it was Built in Texas and it stays in Texas suppressors will be exempt from the NFA tax2. How is housing - Cheap, but the Californians are driving prices up.
3. Anything fun to do in the area - Tons as we are a favorite tourist attraction
4. Any good 2 gun matches in the area? I believe so, but not very sure.
JG

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,
At work today it looks like I might move over to Texas from Arizona in either the first wave in 1 year or the next wave in 3 years. I have an option to stay in Arizona but not sure I want to long term. Just wanted to check how things are going over there. I’m use to Arizona red politics and gun rights.
2. How is housing
View Quote

I live in the Austin area, so take all this from that standpoint.  I'm sure someone who lives in SA can expand or correct this.

1. San Antonio is not that different from any other large Texas city.  Less liberal than Austin of course.  A little more military.  More Hispanics percentage wise than Houston or DFW, slightly less Blacks than either of those two.  Most firearm law is controlled by the state.  It looks like we are finally getting constitutional carry, which should make our laws more similar to what you are used to in AZ.
2. San Antonio is less expensive for housing than DFW, Houston or Austin in general, but more expensive than most rural parts of Texas.  Property taxes are stupidly high in Texas, and growing rapidly as real estate prices are skyrocketing pretty much state wide.
3. Depends on what you like.  San Antonio has lots of touristy things to do...  Sea World, Fiesta Texas, the Riverwalk, Hemisphere Tower, and the Alamo, which is actually a worthwhile place to visit.  Sporting events at AT&T Center (home of the NBA Spurs) and Alamo dome.  Concerts at AT&T too.  A few smaller music venues, but not as many as Austin. As you'd expect, tons of great Tex-Mex restaurants and BBQ places to choose from.  Austin is an fairly easy drive.  Houston and DFW are a little further, but can be day trips.  There is also the gulf coast from Corpus down to South Padre.  The truly adventurous could go down to Mexico, but I personally don't recommend it.
4.  I don't know about matches in San Antonio.  I've heard they have them at the Austin Rifle Club.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The link below has  list of ranges, clubs and matches.

https://krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML

This is a list of matches sorted by schedule.

https://krtraining.com/FAQs/CentralTexasMatchSchedule.htm

My personal experience with 2-gun is shooting Texas Tactical Carbine matches. These are setup on the same bays as their IDPA pistol matches. It's typically 5 rifle stages with shots at  IDPA type distances with a few of the stages having a required pistol transition when the rifle runs dry. You probably will not see any rifle shots beyond 25 yards.

Possibly, the Cedar Ridge bays may have longer shots, I have not been down there since they moved to the back bays. (Google Earth shows them to be 50 yards or less.)

Most IDPA match also have PCC divisions, still short range shooting.

Gringop
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. How are gun rights favoring around San Antonio and in Texas - When Gov Abbot signs then we will be the 21st Constitutional carry state, Sanctuary state and if the pasts came from Texas, it was Built in Texas and it stays in Texas suppressors will be exempt from the NFA tax2. How is housing - Cheap, but the Californians are driving prices up.
3. Anything fun to do in the area - Tons as we are a favorite tourist attraction
4. Any good 2 gun matches in the area? I believe so, but not very sure.
JG

View Quote

To clarify the above - that's not the case.  HB957, the Suppressor Freedom Bill, removes suppressors from being illegal to posses under State law without NFA forms and stamps.  It has the provision to have the state Attorney General file a lawsuit defending the Texas-only concept of a suppressor.  But it does nothing about the Federal NFA law, so it will need to be hashed out in court before anyone makes a Texas only suppressor for sale.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey guys,
2. How is housing
View Quote

Okay, the move from AZ to TX is a mixed bag and I live in San Antonio, I did it 8 years ago. Housing is more expensive than AZ and property taxes are INSANE by comparison. I pay more per month in property taxes in SA than I did annually in AZ. lol In San Antonio you have Sea World, 6 flags, you are a under 2 hours to the coast where you can fish, swim. You aren't far from New Braunfels which has a river you can tube or fish. Feel free to message me if you have other questions, I will be happy to help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the info. Looks like property tax is 6x higher then I am paying now although with the housing market in az practically doubling in the last 2 years I’m not too worried just looking for a change of scenery. Getting a little tired of the 115 degree desert and level of corruption in my occupational area in this state.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been here 18 months. I love it. Canyon Lake is only 25 minutes away and the Guadalupe River and Comal River are about 20 minutes away.

There's a huge military presence here which is nice. If you're a veteran there are "military only" beaches at Canyon Lake that are nicer than the civilian beaches.

I'm just outside San Antonio halfway to New Braunfels. There are a lot of new developments being built, but house prices are going up so the sooner you get here the better. We just bought a house for $248k that would have only cost $190k six months ago. Luckily we didn't have to get into a bidding war, but bidding wars are the norm right now. There's a lot of money coming in from out of state driving up prices.

There's a lot to do here, and San Antonio feels more like a big town than a city. Locals complain about the traffic but compared to Phoenix (or any other big city) it's a breeze. There's a lot of highway construction on I-35 that's supposed to help, but it's still not bad.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the info. Looks like property tax is 6x higher then I am paying now although with the housing market in az practically doubling in the last 2 years I’m not too worried just looking for a change of scenery. Getting a little tired of the 115 degree desert and level of corruption in my occupational area in this state.
View Quote

Property tax is high here, but there's no state income tax so that'll offset it a bit.

Bexar County (San Antonio) has higher property taxes than surrounding counties, so you might want to look at Guadalupe County instead. It's just outside San Antonio. Plus it's a solid red county which is a bonus. Bexar County is blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top