Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2021 1:42:48 PM EDT
Hey guys. Grew up in updstate NY and spent a lot of time in Maine over the years. Currently have been in the South the last few years and ready to get out of here. Maine is in our short list right now (also looking at Vermont and New Hampshire). We're doing a trip there soon to check out a few areas and would love some recommendations.

Looking for a safe area, natural beauty (open to coastal or not) ideally where it's somewhat easy to get some land (probably at some point in the future).
And preferably close to a larger population like Portland just for work etc.

Also, while we're there, any recommendations on must have spots to see or places to visit?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the further North you go, the more conservative it is. Coast is full of liberals. I'd personally not go South of Augusta, I like it rural and conservative where folks mostly mind their own business. The coast is nice to visit, of course, I've not been in a few years. I much prefer the view of Katahdin (in the background of my avatar, from the Golden Road up by Ripogenus Dam). How about somewhere around Bangor, if you need to be within easy commute of a city?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur stay north of Augusta but will add that being within 30 minutes of Augusta or Waterville you'll have everything you need and can still make an afternoon of visiting Portland area for occasional specific needs
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I concur stay north of Augusta but will add that being within 30 minutes of Augusta or Waterville you'll have everything you need and can still make an afternoon of visiting Portland area for occasional specific needs
View Quote

True! I'm in the Waterville area, stay at my camp in the Houlton area as much as possible (would love to retire up there). 35 minutes from my place to downtown Augusta, an hour and a half or so to Portland, less than an hour to Bangor, depending on traffic (don't do either drive often). Waterville is fine, not as good as it used to be, but not bad. No idea what sort of position you're looking for, job wise, but a nice place to live. Even though we (hopefully not for much longer) have a Dem Gov., we don't put up with a lot of their BS.

I'm sure you know we have Constitutional Carry, auto knives legal (thank you Gov. LePage!), suppressors and MG's legal, etc. Winters suck, but it is what it is, find a wooded property and cut/split your own heat. No end of deer, moose, turkeys, black bear, etc. if you're into hunting. We'd love to have you, liberals can stay South (we call it Northern Mass, ha ha).
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Go East on Rt 3 from Augusta and you'll find a bunch of pretty convervative, sparcely populated towns that would provide you with the quiet you're looking for until you get to Belfast.  Belfast is still partially conservative but there is a good percentage of the residents there who are more of a liberal bent.  Our little town has about 1400 residents and is very spread out so that we shoot in our back yards and no one gives it a second thought.  You might want to do some realestate searching between Augusta and Belfast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks so much for the input guys!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much what they said. im close to waterville myself and i still see trump signs up

If you do end up near Augusta it has a decent gun range also
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually just moved home to the coastal area, 30 minutes south of Augusta and it's fine.  There are plenty of non liberals here.  Try the Bristol, South Bristol, Bremen, Warren, Jefferson, and Waldoboro area (Waldoboro can be a little rough).  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]
@bbull311

Welcome home
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just bought a camp on a lake in Perry, Maine.  Headed up home this weekend and will be there through the 2nd week of August building a deck, painting and doing other small things to fix her up.  Can’t wait.
View Quote

make sure you are ok with shoreland zoning, its details are rather arcane, and code enforcement officers literally video shoreline to look for changes and trees cut down in some towns
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I checked it all out.  No zoning requirements other than the home/cabin or any new building be 100 feet from the waterline.  We’re good there.  
View Quote

Be sure. There is generally restrictions on cutting or pruning trees as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice to have another arfcommer in the county..
I think @Bones is fairly local as well.
Watch the speed limit crossing the reservation going to Eastport..
They can be jerks..BIG TIME.
If you're out & about this Saturday our band is playing at the Downeast Dragonfly in Lubec 9-12
Stop in and say howdy..
And of course WELCOME...

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#16]
deleted.. sent by PM
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought a camp on a lake in Perry, Maine.  Headed up home this weekend and will be there through the 2nd week of August building a deck, painting and doing other small things to fix her up.  Can’t wait.
View Quote

Boyden’s Lake?

I did a lot of canoeing and fishing on that as a kid.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I actually just moved home to the coastal area, 30 minutes south of Augusta and it's fine.  There are plenty of non liberals here.  Try the Bristol, South Bristol, Bremen, Warren, Jefferson, and Waldoboro area (Waldoboro can be a little rough).  Good luck.
View Quote

Moving to Warren in a couple months. Beautiful area and I've met some really good people who will be my neighbors. Really looking forward to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top