Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2018 12:36:21 PM EDT
I posted this on Miami PD's FB page... I assume the post is real so I responded.

I'm currently a Special Operations Lt. with a central FL Sheriff's Office and I retired from the U.S. Army after 20 years active duty service.

Your post and picture reference one of your officers surrendering his AR15 rifles during a buy back program is a disgrace to the uniform.

He's quoted as saying a few things that are wrong;

1) Yes, it is legal to hunt deer in FL (and other states) with an AR15 rifle.

2) Whether or not a .223 round is a poor choice for self-defense depends on the type ammo fired. CERTAINLY the Miami PD SWAT team uses purpose-specific ammo and I certainly hope your patrol officers do. Maybe he should have done some homework before making such an inaccurate statement.

3) Whether or not citizens should own an AR15 rifle is his opinion, perhaps he should review his Oath of Office and remember he is supposed to support the Bill of Rights which includes the 2nd Amendment... does the phrase " ... shall not be infringed" ring a bell?

4) Making POLITICAL STATEMENTS in uniform? Does the Miami Police Department allow that? Or only when it fits some Administrator's agenda?

If your agency wishes to conduct a gun buy-back program, that's one thing, but to have a UNIFORMED OFFICER propped up like a puppet and then allowed to spout off false information says VOLUMES about the type of agency you all operate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have facebook.  I went to the Miami PD site on my desktop and found a post about the buyback but can't fine the video you reference.

Is it possible to post a link?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have facebook.  I went to the Miami PD site on my desktop and found a post about the buyback but can't fine the video you reference.

Is it possible to post a link?
View Quote
It's on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/ArmedAmerican/posts/784878571700778?comment_id=785293661659269¬if_id=1521476133903878¬if_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

https://www.facebook.com/MiamiPoliceDepartment/?fref=mentions
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The post and pic on FB appears to be from a Miami PD officer... like I said, not sure if real but sure looks it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The post and pic on FB appears to be from a Miami PD officer... like I said, not sure if real but sure looks it.
View Quote
It looks like the post was made by a guy named Steve Hemmert.  I don't see anything that suggests that he is a LEO.  Just a guy giving up his two AR-15s.

The sad thing is that he says that one of the guns was built by him and his 14 year old daughter.  What a shame to give up something that should have fond memories associated with it.

The link on the facebook page takes you a guy that is from Danville CA??

The most interesting thing in his post...

"Now that I have eliminated the hypocrisy of these guns from my house, I feel comfortable calling on our government to ban them."

Since he has decided he does not need an AR, he wants to make that same decision for everyone else!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Bow, thanks for doing what you do. Gives me some faith/

No homo.

Da fuq are are folks turning in their self defense weapons for.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Cause they eaten up by a case of the dumbass
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It looks like the post was made by a guy named Steve Hemmert.  I don't see anything that suggests that he is a LEO.  Just a guy giving up his two AR-15s.

The sad thing is that he says that one of the guns was built by him and his 14 year old daughter.  What a shame to give up something that should have fond memories associated with it.

The link on the facebook page takes you a guy that is from Danville CA??

The most interesting thing in his post...

"Now that I have eliminated the hypocrisy of these guns from my house, I feel comfortable calling on our government to ban them."

Since he has decided he does not need an AR, he wants to make that same decision for everyone else!!
View Quote
One FB page has what looks like one of their officers receiving some type of card (I assume it's a gift card) with two rifles on the table.

Whether or not the rifles are his, and whether or not he is the one who made the post, it's obvious that's what they want the reader to think.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
how much would they give me for a paperweight 80 that i screwed up?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how much would they give me for a paperweight 80 that i screwed up?
View Quote
From my experience, it depends on the LEO in charge.

Two years ago, I went to the local buy-back with a couple of 22lr revolvers and a pellet rifle.

LEO in charge said I would get the 50 dollar gift card for the revolvers but only a 10 dollar gift card for the rifle.  I explained that since I had made the trip into the inter-city, is was a package deal, 50 dollars per gun, as per their advertisement.  He said NO.

Since the buy-back was conducted in the heart of the city where many economically challenged gentlemen, hung out on the street corner, I explained politely to the LEO in charge, that I would simply sell my guns to the locals, if he would not honor the advertised price of a 50 dollar gift card per "gun."  He said "fine" as I put my guns back into my trunk and he allowed me to drive away with no further comment.

Of course I did not sell me guns to the locals, but I do question the true intent of the buy-backs.

Just my one experience with the local PD buy-back.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
This guy is a lawyer in South Florida. He's a transplant from California...surprise.

The whole story seems very fabricated to me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it just me, or do the two LEOs in the background look like they are talking about who gets to take which gun home with them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top