Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2021 4:57:33 PM EDT
I recently moved to Minneapolis from southern MN. Need to find a good club up here. Looking for something with at least a 100 yd range more is preferred and I think rapid fire rules are stupid.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You might think rapid fire rules are stupid, but they are fact of life.  They are for the safety of all shooters.  And, we don't morons who think they are the world's greatest shot making ranges front page news.  
All you have to do go look at any indoor range in the metro and look at the walls, floors, ceiling, etc.  If people great shots then the ranges would all look like show room new condition.  

Till you can spend money on land and have it insured you best just follow club rules.
Most ranges have enough problems with neighbors.  But bullets leaving range property makes the neighbors contentious.
Many have conditional use permits that can be canceled without much provocation.
Just stick to the rules and enjoy the range.  

Most private gun clubs in and around the metro go through the renewal process in the late fall.  There are some
you join during the year; IIRC the one out at Hutchinson (Gopher Camp Fire) and perhaps Rainbow Sportsman out by Cokato.
The clubs have to see how many non-renewals they have before taking on new members.  Some have extensive waiting lists.
Some have hoops to jump through like finding a sponsor.  (Pretty easy to do go to club meeting and ask)
There are some clubs that have public hours like Oakdale Gun Club and Beaverbrook Tri County.

There are some public ranges so to speak.....DelTone in St. Cloud and Caribou near Le Sueur
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OP try Oakdale Gun Club.  50, 100, 200 yard ranges and no issues with NFA or rapid fire, as long as the shooter is safely controlling the weapon.  

No sponsor needed for applications and no waiting list.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP try Oakdale Gun Club.  50, 100, 200 yard ranges and no issues with NFA or rapid fire, as long as the shooter is safely controlling the weapon.  

No sponsor needed for applications and no waiting list.
View Quote
Awesome! I'll be submitting my application.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The point is that not everyone is a good shooter who knows what there are doing. And safety and range rules exist for the shooters on the lower end of the the Bell Curve.

I have been witness many times to people doing stupid stuff.  And, private clubs have their share of them, how can people wreck club property or leave trash? But they do!
Best one was at Bill's in Robbinsdale on Sunday morning.  Mr I AM Tacticool gets all geared up....first round down range....he hit the light fixture.  Shut the range down for a good while.
He must of been showing off for his GF in attendance.

Some clubs IE Oakdale require members to perform range duty as a part of membership.  And, some people do not like that. Elk River is the same, but you can hire
members to do the shifts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top