Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2024 10:34:27 PM EDT
I can't believe this is being considered.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/2023/01/06/green-bay-appleton-oshkosh-leaders-support-amtrak-expansion/69781905007/
Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac write letter backing Amtrak expansion
View Quote

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/2023/12/07/amtrak-service-from-milwaukee-to-green-bay-madison-makes-a-key-cut/71812892007/
APPLETON - Municipal leaders from seven of Northeast Wisconsin's largest cities submitted a joint letter to the Federal Railroad Administration encouraging Amtrak to extend passenger train service from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

Mayors and city managers from Green Bay, Appleton, Kaukauna, Menasha, Neenah, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac signed on, saying the region meets the selection criteria for inclusion in the Corridor ID program. The program was included in the $1.2 trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which included $66 billion for passenger rail upgrades and expansion. The White House at the time noted American rail service "lags behind the rest of the world in reliability, speed, and coverage."

Signatories said the letter is an important, procedural step, but there is still no guarantee Northeast Wisconsin will be included in Amtrak's formal expansion plan.

The Northeast Wisconsin expansion would operate three round trips each day with a Green Bay-to-Milwaukee trip taking just under three hours and the trip from Green Bay to Chicago taking 4 hours, 20 minutes. The service map includes stops in Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac.

Currently, Amtrak connects Green Bay to its Milwaukee station via a bus service that stops in Appleton, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac and De Pere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no problem with this as long as the riders pay the whole cost of the service.  Absolutely no public funding.

Who would ride 3 hrs to Milwaukee or 4 hrs to Chicago?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grizz272:
I have no problem with this as long as the riders pay the whole cost of the service.  Absolutely no public funding.

Who would ride 3 hrs to Milwaukee or 4 hrs to Chicago?
View Quote

It's faster than driving.  Especially when you consider traffic.

I'm good with a line from Madison to GB.  Milwaukee has no business having an expensive new line to Madison, no one would use it just like the stupid trolly.  

My daughter is going to UWGB next year.  I wouldn't mind driving 30 minutes to the Dells to ride the train up there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Amtrak is a complete failure. Half of its revenue is paid via state and federal tax dollars.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
That’s a stupid route but there used to be a train from GB to Chicago for forever, like post civil war to the early seventies.

I don’t think a train line is going to end up being like a bus from the ghetto to the suburbs in more built up areas. Subsidized apartments and housing for “diverse and migrant peoples” move more trash in than a rail line would.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By prebans:
They see dollar signs from income SUBSIDIES instead of social problems requiring tax dollars.
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By olyman:
Amtrak is a complete failure. Half of its revenue is paid via state and federal tax dollars.
View Quote
And it basically only serves the coastal elites not in "flyover" country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top