Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2022 10:41:41 AM EDT
Well as shall issue as we can be with the classes and such.

Official statement

Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms, while enacting responsible and common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

“Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision in New York law pertaining to handgun permitting that is virtually indistinguishable from Maryland law. In light of the ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to immediately suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits. It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision in state law. There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.

“Today’s action is in line with actions taken in other states in response to the recent ruling.”

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Good news
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
So what hoops do I have to jump through to get a non-resident permit?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms
View Quote

Yea OK….
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben_Shockley:So what hoops do I have to jump through to get a non-resident permit?
View Quote
Since MD does not differentiate between resident & non-resident HGPs, you can enjoy the same hoops as the rest of us:
https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Fingerprints by a MD State Police (MSP) approved vendor (see link at the MSP site above)
Training by an MSP approved trainer (see link at MSP site...) OR military/police exemption for training.
Passport style digital photo, 600x600 pixels max (the licensing site allows a certain amount of resizing/cropping)
$75 fee to MSP upon application

Still in force for now, but expected to go away at some point:
They are still asking for 3 references (with detailed info on each, including their employer).
They are still asking for spousal information.

The website is being changed, but if it still asks for a "good & substantial" reason when you apply, use "Self Defense". No need to attach anything for this.

Our local advocate group, Maryland Shall Issue, has an excellent guide here:
https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/md-carry-permits

The biggest hurdle for most non-residents will be the 16 hours of training by an MSP approved trainer. Demand is high right now, classes are getting hard to find, costs can be high. Stupid requirement.

We have another thread here that has discussed a lot of this already:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/MD-carry-permit/29-662716/
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms

Originally Posted By 1badf350:
Yea OK….

Spot on. I didn't know whether to laugh, gag or kick the computer...
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By eshell:

The website is being changed, but if it still asks for a "good & substantial" reason when you apply, use "Self Defense". No need to attach anything for this.

View Quote

As of yesterday the website was still showing incomplete if I didn't upload something. I tried logging on this morning but they must be doing some maintenance because it wont let me in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:24:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eshell] [#7]
Originally Posted By 5pins:
As of yesterday the website was still showing incomplete if I didn't upload something. I tried logging on this morning but they must be doing some maintenance because it wont let me in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 5pins:

When I applied on the 27th, the site also required something uploaded, so I uploaded the Bruen ruling (pdf).

According to the MSP, one no longer has to attach docs in the "reason" field:
https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx

Here is the complete statement, please see what I have put in BOLD below"
State Police Licensing Division

​​​​​​​**Maryland Wear and Carry (Handgun Permit) Update**

On July 5, 2022, Governor Hogan Directed the Maryland State Police to Suspend the ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Standard For Wear and Carry Permits.
Action Pursuant to Supreme Court Ruling Striking Down Similar Provision in New York Law

Governor Larry Hogan issued the following statement:

“Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms, while enacting responsible and common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

"Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision in New York law pertaining to handgun permitting that is virtually indistinguishable from Maryland law. In light of the ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to immediately suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits. It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision in state law. There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.

"Today’s action is in line with actions taken by other states in response to the recent ruling.”

The Maryland State Police Licensing Division is in the process of updating the Licensing Portal to reflect these changes. Until these updates are complete, applicants submitting a Wear and Carry Permit application are directed to select “Personal Protection / Category Not Listed Above” as their “Handgun Permit Category.Applicants are not required to attach documents to the “PERSONAL PROTECTION DOCUMENTATION” section on the “Upload Documents” page of the Wear and Carry Permit application.

​​LD-HPU-22-002 Suspension of Good and Substantial Reason
           ​

The suspension of the “Good and Substantial Reason” requirement does not change any other aspect of the MD Wear and Carry Permit. Applicants are still required to submit documentation of the required training and a Livescan fingerprint receipt. Additional documentation such as military service records or other documentation as requested may still be required to complete an applicant background investigation.​

A WEAR AND CARRY (HANDGUN) PERMIT IS STILL REQUIRED BEFORE YOU CAN LEGALLY CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM ON YOUR PERSON.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By eshell:
Since MD does not differentiate between resident & non-resident HGPs, you can enjoy the same hoops as the rest of us:
https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Fingerprints by a MD State Police (MSP) approved vendor (see link at the MSP site above)
Training by an MSP approved trainer (see link at MSP site...) OR military/police exemption for training.
Passport style digital photo, 600x600 pixels max (the licensing site allows a certain amount of resizing/cropping)
$75 fee to MSP upon application

Still in force for now, but expected to go away at some point:
They are still asking for 3 references (with detailed info on each, including their employer).
They are still asking for spousal information.

Our local advocate group, Maryland Shall Issue, has an excellent guide here:
https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/md-carry-permits

The biggest hurdle for most non-residents will be the 16 hours of training by an MSP approved trainer. Demand is high right now, classes are getting hard to find, costs can be high. Stupid requirement.

We have another thread here that has discussed a lot of this already:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/MD-carry-permit/29-662716/
View Quote

Thank you for your reply.  I guess I need to find a training course and set aside two days to complete it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
When will someone challenge all the bullshit restrictions on where you can carry?
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben_Shockley] [#10]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
When will someone challenge all the bullshit restrictions on where you can carry?
View Quote

I know NYSRPA is already preparing challenge to New York’s new draconian “sensitive places” list.  Yet another example of courts giving anti-Constitution states an inch and they take a mile.  It’s frustrating but completely expected.  I suspect this”sensitive place” issue will be litigated across all 50 states in coming months and years.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I talked to Hogan on the 8th. I thanked him for his executive order. He said it was the right thing to do and the AG wasn't going to move.

Me in the pink
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#12]
I talked to Hogan on the 8th. I thanked him for his executive order. He said it was the right thing to do and the AG wasn't going to move.
View Quote

The right thing to do would’ve been for fat larry to do this 8 years ago, I give him no credit. If you want to thank someone thank Donald J Trump.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:33:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#13]
Originally Posted By INMY01TA:

The right thing to do would’ve been for fat larry to do this 8 years ago, I give him no credit. If you want to thank someone thank Donald J Trump.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By INMY01TA:

Trump was vocally anti-2a. He banned bumpfire stocks, and was in favor of red flag laws without trials. Why would anyone thank him?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:32:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#14]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:

Trump was vocally anti-2a. He banned bumpfire stocks, and was in favor of red flag laws without trials. Why would anyone thank him?
View Quote

Trump put three conservative justices on the SCOTUS giving us a 6-3 majority, that is the only reason they took the Bruen case and the only reason Maryland is shall issue now. This “anti 2a” POTUS as you call him single handedly got Roe v Wade overturned and made Shall Issue the law of the land, something every other Republican has only talked about. Fat Larry has done nothing for us and only dropped g&s when forced to by the court.
Here is our cowardly RINO Governor happily signing our rights away:

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates on this? Has anyone actually been approved and received their permit?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
Any updates on this? Has anyone actually been approved and received their permit?
View Quote

YES, I have and thousands of others...

I applied for mine June 27, a few days after the Bruen decision. It took about 31 days to be approved and another week to receive my card in the mail.

Right now, it appears that average processing time is 66-67 days, and that is after mandatory overtime and adding personnel at the Maryland State Police licensing center..

I was one of the early applicants. My application number was 2022HGP0174xx. They are now up to at least 2022HGP107xxx - so about 89,000 applications since June, most approved. We only had about 25k active permits before Bruen.

Finally having my MD HGP, I was able to apply to PA and was approved by PA in 14 hours. Had to go to York, PA to pick up my card - pickup in person is required. The York County sheriff's department could not have been friendlier or more professional and I was in/out in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
View Quote

Yep I got mine a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:49:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rgaper] [#18]
For those who have gone through the process, I'm curious what content they have to fill the 16 hour training session.  I've seen the live fire course and that's a fraction of it.  I realize the whole thing is really just a deterrent for applicants, but is the classroom a "this is the end where the bullets come out" type of course?

@eshell
@INMY01TA
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My class started out  with slide about laws and holsters discussing showing how to draw. Spent hour or so  drawing dry fire dropping mag reload malfunction clearing after lunch did ammo and maintenance.
Day 2 lat the range went over safety  and live fire we did extra shooting at what the instructor called “ bad breath” distance, went back to the class more slides.  One of the instructor was a woman and she spent time going over concealed carry for woman  then had question and answer.  Took a written test then we went over the test then every student got time in the simulator. They gave us a special gun and holster. Then on a movie screen they brought up  Show of a yard a guy came walking in frame, he started circling around then pulls a large knife and then charges you with it.  I was supposed to  draw the pistol  when the knife came out then fire when he charged at me. I missed two times. One thing the instructions stressed was to stay ready of additional attackers and to scan for them.  Well while i was focused on the screen and shooting that attacker, one of the instructions snuck behind me with a large fake knife. I was supposed to catch him then turn and shoot him with the special pistol.
Some other things they talked about was becoming a md collector. They had the paperwork for the ones that are not collectors to fill out and the notarized the paper right there. They went over how to apply for the md permit  and Florida permit. They also told people with out a hql how to apply foe one after they get the w&C permit.  While people where waiting their turn for the simulator they had gunsmith and the female instructor in the classroom talking one on one with students showing all the different styles of holsters and letting people test them and answer gun questions.

It was a good class but at $325 was expensive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rgaper:
For those who have gone through the process, I'm curious what content they have to fill the 16 hour training session.  I've seen the live fire course and that's a fraction of it.  I realize the whole thing is really just a deterrent for applicants, but is the classroom a "this is the end where the bullets come out" type of course?

@eshell
@INMY01TA
View Quote

I didn't take the specific class. I am a veteran and used the exclusion.

I have had other instruction, have carried out of state for more than a decade under my FL NR, been an avid shooter for more than 55 years and I am a retired instructor.

Most people feel that the classes are just to "check the box" and are not really useful. There is no official lesson plan beyond the prescribed course of fire.

Worse, there are numerous complaints about incorrect info being given out at some classes, such as:
Can't carry with a mag greater than 10 rounds (not true).
Have to carry what you qualify with (not true).
No 'open carry' allowed (not true).
Minimum caliber to qualify is "x" (no official minimum, just that instructor's preference).
Minimum caliber to carry is "x" (no minimum, use a .22 Short if you want).

Some classes have been relatively good and positively reviewed, some classes were clearly intended to just satisfy the 'training' requirement, other classes are a nightmare of bravado, war stories and bad information. and still others take an hour out to try to sell you gun safes and carry insurance.

Anyone wishing to take the class would do well to check out the instructor/outfit carefully, and avoid any classes at any gunshop located on Veteran's Highway in Millersville, MD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I am instructor, as Eshell said they only really touch on what needs to be covered by law.

It is
the shooting course of fire ( only thing mandated )
MD law
safe storage
basic pistol everything, aka cleaning, operation.

There is no course requirement, they just say you have to do or talk about all the above. I basically go in depth of MD law, I use the nra basic pistol and ccw course for the rest. What I use for the law stuff was put together by a retired state trooper, and has quotes of the actual laws, including whats required for things like the HQL and other purchases. There is overlap with the nra classes on things like parts of a gun, describing the action etc. But its a good time to talk about different guns, with pluses and minuses of each. I also bring like 5 or 6 pistols so show different things, like sigs with the decocker, a revolver to show how to load and unload including at speed.

I can also teach up or down depending on the level of the student. Guys/gals who have been around guns more we do things like weapon retention, newer people I do a lot of sight alignment and trigger stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to applaud Maryland.
After doing a 180, post Bruen, they have their act together.
The State Police application portal is very well organized and useful.
The only real hassle in the whole process was driving to Pikesville for fingerprints.
Filed my application 9/28 and permit is in-hand 12/10!
For anybody sitting on the fence, in-state or out of state, Just Do It!
Just take the class and file the application.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I am  sure they have things up their sleeve to restrict us from carrying once the general assembly starts a new session.
Sure we will issue you a W&C permit but you will not be able to use it.  Look at what mo. Co. Just pushed trough and charles county is starting it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
As a veteran, I am exempt from the 16 hour training requirement. Being retired, it is not affordable. Thankfully, I was able to afford fingerprinting and the application fees.

Finally, approved last week and expect to see the permit before Christmas. Ho, ho, ho!
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SonofLiberty1775:
The only real hassle in the whole process was driving to Pikesville for fingerprints.
View Quote

Why did you have to drive to Pikesville for the prints? They can be done anywhere that does MdLivescan fingerprinting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top