Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2022 3:47:00 PM EDT

Whatever the Hall or Jeff recommend, just vote the opposite. Easy Peasy.

As you sit down to cast your vote, please be sure to vote on the four critical state-wide ballot measures.

Here's where I stand on each of these critical issues.

Measure 111 ? VOTE YES

Health care is a human right and Measure 111 recognizes that right in our Oregon Constitution. It declares that the state must work to ensure that every Oregonian has access to affordable health care. Learn more at RightToHealthCareOregon.org.

Measure 112 ? VOTE YES

Oregon is one of about 20 states with a constitution that explicitly authorizes slavery for individuals convicted of a crime. Slavery has no place in our Constitution. A bipartisan group of lawmakers referred Measure 112 to give voters the opportunity to remove this language and affirm that slavery is not an Oregon value. Learn more at OregoniansUnitedToEndSlavery.com.

Measure 113 ? VOTE YES

Legislators are elected to do the people's work – not skip town when there's a vote they don't agree with. Measure 113 says that elected state legislators who purposely skip 10 or more legislative sessions without a valid excuse will be barred from running for reelection. It's a simple rule: If you don't show up for work, you can't keep your job. Learn more at VoteYesOn113.org.

Measure 114 ? VOTE YES

Our country has a gun violence epidemic; one that's impacted far too many families in Oregon. Measure 114 requires that a gun purchaser complete a background check and a gun safety course. It also limits the sale and use of large-capacity ammunition magazines that play a significant role in many mass murders. These are reasonable, common-sense gun policies that will save lives in Oregon. Learn more at LiftEveryVoiceOregon.com.

Election Day is coming up quickly, on November 8. Please join me in voting Yes on these four measures.

Jeff

Express Donate:
If you've stored your info with ActBlue Express, we'll process your contribution instantly:
$5
$15
$25
$50

Paid for by Jeff Merkley for Oregon.

This email was sent by Jeff Merkley
Jeff Merkley for Oregon
PO Box 14172
Portland, OR 97293
United States

Email is an important way for Jeff Merkley to keep supporters like you informed about critical issues and to build a winning grassroots campaign. Too much email? Switch to our less email option or unsubscribe here.

You can also update your name, email address, or mailing address. Questions or concerns? Contact us here.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Is 112 really about something? I agree slavery has no place, but last I checked there is no slavery in Oregon.

I think I heard something about this being about getting rid of prison work crews or something? Don't prisoners view work crews as a reward for good behavior?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeff Merkley needs to FOAD.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is 112 really about something? I agree slavery has no place, but last I checked there is no slavery in Oregon.

I think I heard something about this being about getting rid of prison work crews or something? Don't prisoners view work crews as a reward for good behavior?
View Quote

Most of the propaganda about 112 that claims it abolishes slavery is to get people to vote. Oregon doesn't explicitly make illegal the practice of using the labor of convicted prisoners, meaning labor as part of a criminal punishment. As far as I know, it virtually never happens in Oregon, though. So the propaganda about abolishing slavery is just that, to get it passed.

Look up the term "convict leasing".
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most of the propaganda about 112 that claims it abolishes slavery is to get people to vote. Oregon doesn't explicitly make illegal the practice of using the labor of convicted prisoners, meaning labor as part of a criminal punishment. As far as I know, it virtually never happens in Oregon, though. So the propaganda about abolishing slavery is just that, to get it passed.

View Quote

It is likely to be used against the pot growers who are basically imprisoning migrant workers. It really is a thing down here in the south. Even so, any measure that changes the constitution of the state should probably be voted down. There is always language that serves the agenda of a certain group…
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It is likely to be used against the pot growers who are basically imprisoning migrant workers. It really is a thing down here in the south. Even so, any measure that changes the constitution of the state should probably be voted down. There is always language that serves the agenda of a certain group…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may turn out to be true for 112, because it may really prohibit any prisoners from doing any kind of work (all such work is voluntary in Oregon at least) while serving a sentence. I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That may turn out to be true for 112, because it may really prohibit any prisoners from doing any kind of work (all such work is voluntary in Oregon at least) while serving a sentence. I don't know.
View Quote

The prisoners also are compensated at an hourly rate so they may not be affected. But I see this as an opportunity for a convict to say “FO, I’m not doing shit.”

In the case of the pot slaves, I can get behind that because I know first hand it is happening with the cartels down here. Fuck them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top