Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2024 4:35:08 AM EDT
Anyone from the HTF making an appearance at the MOORE Show in Springfield next month? Convinced the wife to go along with the credit card available... shopping for a rooftop tent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Need deets. What's the MOORE show? And do they sell guns or prepping supplies?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zapthycat:
Need deets. What's the MOORE show? And do they sell guns or prepping supplies?
View Quote

https://mooreexpo.com/

Overlanding/off road expo. It can certainly parallel with prepping… if you’re ready to take your truck into the backcountry and boondock for a week or more at a time, that’s a leg up on a lot of folks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll be there Saturday. Taking the son with me so we can drool over stuff I can’t justify.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:
I’ll be there Saturday. Taking the son with me so we can drool over stuff I can’t justify.
View Quote

Excellent! It's my first visit to this expo, we went to the KC RV Expo last month and were wildly underwhelmed. Not our style of living at all.

Slowly building my truck out for low key overlanding, being able to camp comfortably and start exploring some of the more remote parts of this country.

We're actively looking at rooftop tents, otherwise just looking at ideas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll still be in Florida but have gone to all the past Moore Expos.

My facebook off road club (Mark Twain Mafia) has been invited to have a table there in the past but... we don't sell anything other than T-shirts and stickers with our club logo on them. Plus I don't know that anyone wants to stand around for 8 to 12 hours a day and not get paid for it.

If you haven't bought tickets yet...
One of the members of my club, Kayla (Red 4Runner with rooftop tent) will be doing story telling there and has a discount code you can use for 10% off the ticket price.

Use coupon code: KAYHENDRIC10

Last year or the year before they wanted an additional $20 for parking. I said screw that, and snuck in the camping exit at the Fair Grounds. I parked right in front of the building.

Pretty sure parking is included with the ticket prices now.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've enjoyed all the Moore Expo's it's like a car show both inside and out in the parking lot.

I rarely buy anything and mostly chat with folks I've wheeled with in the Springfield Overland / Off Road community.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, parking is part of the ticket now. We didn't plan far enough ahead so not camping there but if it looks good we'll plan better for next year. I expect to do a lot of admiring, maybe grab a few little tchotchkes, but the real goal is the tent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zercool:
Yep, parking is part of the ticket now. We didn't plan far enough ahead so not camping there but if it looks good we'll plan better for next year. I expect to do a lot of admiring, maybe grab a few little tchotchkes, but the real goal is the tent.
View Quote

What vehicle do you have?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By drobs:

What vehicle do you have?
View Quote

Nissan Frontier Pro4x.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Nissan Frontier Pro4x.
View Quote

Hello frontier brother!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Hello frontier brother!

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

ROFL'ing about your spoiler!

I don't use the 4wd for real but a few times a year, and every couple months just to make sure it still works right.

Started with a brand new '07 SE 4x4 many moons ago, drove that until 19. Sold it, bought an Altima. Good car, but didn't suit me. Finally convinced the wife that a truck was better for our life last year and got a '23 Pro4X. I absolutely love the thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]

I don't use the 4wd for real but a few times a year, and every couple months just to make sure it still works right.

Started with a brand new '07 SE 4x4 many moons ago, drove that until 19. Sold it, bought an Altima. Good car, but didn't suit me. Finally convinced the wife that a truck was better for our life last year and got a '23 Pro4X. I absolutely love the thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hello frontier brother!

Click To View Spoiler

I just sold my 2006 4x4 King Cab SE Frontier to a guy I had working on my lake house, about a year or 2 ago. He's still driving it everywhere.
Mine had all the expensive out of warranty defects - timing chain tensioners and cross contamination. That I paid out of pocket to fix. He should be good to go for another couple 100k miles.

I like the look of the new 2020+ Frontiers.

If you come down and trail ride with us, you can use that 4wd, for real. Plus the rear locker can be handy, in spots.

Myself and a buddy in Tacoma rescued a new Frontier out on Glade Top last year. He had 4x4 but stock size highway tires on it and got high centered going down a not so legal trail, I'd actually never been on / noticed before.

My buddy in the Tacoma pulled him back onto the legal trail, just as I arrived. I was like well lets go hit a trail. We went and did FS 912 which has a little bit of everything - moguls, mud, rock ledges, water crossings, an off camber hill climb, etc. It's my favorite trail and I've run easily a 100 times. It was a good confidence booster for the kid (mid 20's) in the Frontier. A locker is nice to have but not needed on this trail.

Attachment Attached File

The next time I saw the kid, he had 33 inch MT's stuffed under the Frontier.

The 1st time I ran 912 was back in 2019 in my Toyota 4Runner with the Springfield Rigs & Coffee overland group. I followed a guy in 2000 Land Rover and left my rear locker on for the whole trail.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, that looks like fun. I’ve heard GladeTop is a beautiful drive. (And I see that kid’s Frontier isn’t even the Pro4x, so no locker at all… or skid plates unless he added them!)
I’ve never done anything resembling real trail driving; mostly just cornfields and gravel road.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, that looks like fun. I’ve heard GladeTop is a beautiful drive. (And I see that kid’s Frontier isn’t even the Pro4x, so no locker at all… or skid plates unless he added them!)
I’ve never done anything resembling real trail driving; mostly just cornfields and gravel road.
View Quote

We have members in our group from all over to include KC, STL, Cape Girardeau, Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa & Kansas.
If you get down this way again give me a holler. I'll be on my way home from Florida on the 20th.

I had my 2006 Frontier out there once, without lockers - I just needed more momentum to get over stuff.

I outfitted my 2019 Toyota 4Runner (oem rear locker) for the area with full steel skids, lift, 33's, and rock sliders. I now have 35's on my Jeep but have done pretty much every trail around here with 33's and the OEM limited slip rear. Full front and rear lockers would be nice but so far not necessary.

This is another trail out there. I leveled my phone's camera with the horizon. Camera's flatten things out and make it hard to gauge hills.
This trail has 4 sections that can be fun / difficult.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have some short little vids showing the area on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21XgrK1QQQDMUld-U2XYvg

But mostly post vids to Tiktok these days:
https://www.tiktok.com/@drobst4r

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By drobs:

We have members in our group from all over to include KC, STL, Cape Girardeau, Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa & Kansas.
If you get down this way again give me a holler. I'll be on my way home from Florida on the 20th.

I had my 2006 Frontier out there once, without lockers - I just needed more momentum to get over stuff.

I outfitted my 2019 Toyota 4Runner (oem rear locker) for the area with full steel skids, lift, 33's, and rock sliders. I now have 35's on my Jeep but have done pretty much every trail around here with 33's and the OEM limited slip rear. Full front and rear lockers would be nice but so far not necessary.

This is another trail out there. I leveled my phone's camera with the horizon. Camera's flatten things out and make it hard to gauge hills.
This trail has 4 sections that can be fun / difficult.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/TW2_jpg-3171616.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Aaron_JPG-3171620.JPG

I have some short little vids showing the area on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21XgrK1QQQDMUld-U2XYvg

But mostly post vids to Tiktok these days:
https://www.tiktok.com/@drobst4r

View Quote

ordered a MTM patch for my murse the other day.  Got it today.  Gonna start going through the electrics on my TJ so I can join you goons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]

ordered a MTM patch for my murse the other day.  Got it today.  Gonna start going through the electrics on my TJ so I can join you goons.
View Quote

I think you will have a good time. We have good group of guys and gals out there wheeling almost every Saturday or Sunday.
Most have CCW's and are packing. We just did a field expedient 1st aid class taught by a member and I do a vehicle recovery class every so often.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#18]
I'm considering it. Bit of a drive for me, but could be fun.

May end up going out west for a week, so not sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top