Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 5:06:18 AM EDT
LANSING – The Michigan Capitol Commission has sought legal advice and could make a decision Monday on whether guns should be banned inside the Capitol, the vice chairman of the commission said Tuesday.Freep Article MI Wants To Ban Guns @ Capital
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]

You should start a thread in GD on this; wait and see how many here on ARFcom will come out in support of banning guns inside the Capitol.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Not really a surprise....now, is it?

The way the media twisted it, you could see this coming.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Not surprised a bit.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Is setting a tripod up aiming at the front door standing next to it brandishing? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally would never carry a rifle on the Capital grounds, let alone inside the building.

I don't like the image created and given enough time (1 year, 10 years, 100+ years) some idiot will discharge one, accidently or not and enable our enemies to pass bills that have nothing to do with the Capital grounds.

I wear casual business attire when attending protests, I think our interests would be better served if I wore a suit and tie. Growing up in the 60's I remember the civil rights protestors being attacked by dogs and beaten by police while wearing suits and ties. I feel their choice in clothing made the general public more receptive and supporting to their cause. We take much of what they fought for by granted nowadays, nothing was granted then.

Image is important. If you can't see that freedom's enemies are using this against us, I don't know what to say.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I personally would never carry a rifle on the Capital grounds, let alone inside the building.

I don't like the image created and given enough time (1 year, 10 years, 100+ years) some idiot will discharge one, accidently or not and enable our enemies to pass bills that have nothing to do with the Capital grounds.

I wear casual business attire when attending protests, I think out interests would be better served if I wore a suit and tie. Growing up in the 60's I remember the civil rights protestors being attacked by dogs and beaten by police while wearing suits and ties. I feel their choice in clothing made the general public more receptive and supporting to their cause. We take much of what they fought for by granted nowadays, nothing was granted then. 

Image is important. If you can't see that freedom's enemies are using this against us, I don't know what to say.
View Quote

Fuck all lot of good that has done so far. Hope the knees on your pretty suit don't get dirty and worn from you living on them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

Fuck all lot of good that has done so far. Hope the knees on your pretty suit don't get dirty and worn from you living on them.
View Quote

I'm not going to live on my knees ever. At the last COVID-19 protest only a handful of people had firearms, but who's picture made the front page? If you can't see this as counter-productive, providing our political foes fuel for their fire, then you don't have an elementary understanding of politics.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, it looks like this is happening.  Possibly as soon as Monday.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/michigan/state-attorney-general-says-commission-could-ban-firearms-at-capitol

State attorney general says commission could ban firearms at Capitol

...With exceptions to those tasked with protecting our Capitol, the only way to assure that a violent episode does not occur is to act in concert with the many other state legislatures around the nation that have banned firearms in their capital facilities...

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally would never carry a rifle on the Capital grounds, let alone inside the building.

I don't like the image created and given enough time (1 year, 10 years, 100+ years) some idiot will discharge one, accidently or not and enable our enemies to pass bills that have nothing to do with the Capital grounds.

I wear casual business attire when attending protests, I think our interests would be better served if I wore a suit and tie. Growing up in the 60's I remember the civil rights protestors being attacked by dogs and beaten by police while wearing suits and ties. I feel their choice in clothing made the general public more receptive and supporting to their cause. We take much of what they fought for by granted nowadays, nothing was granted then. 

Image is important. If you can't see that freedom's enemies are using this against us, I don't know what to say.
View Quote

I completely agree with you sir.

I may not choose a suit and tie, but I would look respectable.

Not like a yee-hah heathen redneck with a testical call of duty gun.  I'm embarrassed to be associated with these types, they soil our image.

It's also a shame to have your gentlemanly opinion shamed by one of those types.

This wasn't any type of firearm related protest, and there was no need for them to be there.

In my opinion, it was selfish "look at me" cock-wagging simply for the Facebook photo ops, and a hope to get on TV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Fine work boys
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not really a surprise....now, is it?

The way the media twisted it, you could see this coming.
View Quote

You could see this coming after the 2A event.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm not going to live on my knees ever. At the last COVID-19 protest only a handful of people had firearms, but who's picture made the front page? If you can't see this as counter-productive, providing our political foes fuel for their fire, then you don't have an elementary understanding of politics.
View Quote

We had guns at the first one too. They cried non-stop about the lack of social distancing, the “ambulance that was blocked” and stopping hard working Lansing residents from getting to work. Wah fucking wah.  

They had to cry about something else for the second one since everything they said was bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Benefactor:

Unfortunately, it looks like this is happening.  Possibly as soon as Monday.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/michigan/state-attorney-general-says-commission-could-ban-firearms-at-capitol

View Quote

act in concert with the many other state legislatures

Well then, we should also act in concert with many other state legislatures and make FOIA the law also.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Board Finds it Has Authority On Guns At Michigan Capitol

LANSING, Mich. (AP)  A board overseeing Michigan's Capitol determined Tuesday that it has the legal authority to decide whether guns will continue to be allowed in the building and on its grounds.

The Michigan State Capitol Commission reviewed a formal legal opinion by attorney Gary P. Gordon that said the board had the power to prohibit firearms at the Capitol...
View Quote

More at link
https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/board-finds-it-has-authority-on-guns-at-michigan-capitol/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top