Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2020 12:08:08 AM EDT
Metro Mayor Greg Fischer announced today that the Metro government would pay the family of Breonna Taylor $12 million to settle their lawsuit. The taxpayers of Jefferson County will foot the bill. There is also a Go Fund Me account that collected $6.5 million for the family. Mayor Fischer also announced several "reforms" that will be implemented by LMPD. Protesters say they will continue to protest until the LMPD officers involved are indicted. LMPD offices will now be required to say "please" when they try to make a stop and "thank you" when they are shot or beatten.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like precedence to holding a city hostage through riots and threats of force
Im gonna look up the krs for extortion
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to hold anyone liable for extorting money from the city when the Mayor is a willful party to the extortion. Wasn't it just a few months ago that he was saying they were going to have to shut down essential services because of a lack of funds? Now they have $12 million to give away.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to hold anyone liable for extorting money from the city when the Mayor is a willful party to the extortion. Wasn't it just a few months ago that he was saying they were going to have to shut down essential services because of a lack of funds? Now they have $12 million to give away.
View Quote

wouldn't the cities insurance pay it or something?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

wouldn't the cities insurance pay it or something?
View Quote

That is possible but many larger cities are self-insured. I doubt that any insurance companies would keep insuring Louisville after all the claims that keep rolling in year after year. What do you think their premiums would be? If there had been an insurance co. involved, I doubt there would have been a settlement this soon. A simple Open Records Request would answer that question. Maybe I'll send one tomorrow as I am waiting out this virus.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Louisville is self insured. With a population of about 600,000, it's about 20 bucks a head the Mayor spent from everyone's pocket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Louisville is self insured. With a population of about 600,000, it's about 20 bucks a head the Mayor spent from everyone's pocket.
View Quote

Thanks for that information. I assumed that was true and I'd bet the Ky. League of Cities is breathing a
sigh of relief, since they sell liability insurance to most Ky. cities. Remember not all residents pay tax to the Metro government. Unless you own real property or a business there are probably no taxes due from a resident of Jefferson County. The personal property tax on vehicles is capped at the value of the vehicle and shared with the state and will not enter into that money. The true percapita involvement in this outlay is probably double your estimate because only half of the population actually pays any county taxes. At some point, taxpayers of Jefferson County may decide a moving van is cheaper that continued residence in Louisville Metro. Property values will take a hit on this, too. Oldham, Bullitt and Shelby Counties look better every day. Don't forget that the premiums for individual liability insurance for property owners is going up too since insurance companies consider the risk of more claims in that calculation. Get your checkbooks out boys.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone who feels the police treated them poorly should be suing.  If the Mayor doesn't pay they should protest and demand justice.  He set a terrible precedent by doing this and it is going to cost the city for a very long time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing COC compliant to say...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top