Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2024 2:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
Our family (4 kids ages 4-10) have been travelling full time since last April this is our rough route:

Chantilly, VA -> Abingdon, VA -> Memphis, TN, -> Oklahoma City, OK, -> Albuquerque, NM -> Flagstaff, NM -> Carlsbad, CA -> Yosemite, CA -> Ashland, OR -> Bay City, OR -> Covington, WA -> Island Park, ID -> Conifer, CO -> Dodge City, KS -> Wichita, KS
-> Hot Springs, AR -> New Orleans, LA -> Destin, FL -> Tampa, FL -> Sebastian, FL

My wife loves it here, the kids caught a corn snake the day we got to Sebastian so they like it.

We're thinking about buying a house and maybe more to rent out because we're not done travelling but we want to set up a home pbase.

The areas we're looking at is Sebastian/Vero Beach, Haines City, Beverly Hills/Crystal River area.

Does anybody have any recommendations on those locations, or other ones?  We homeschool so we don't care about that.  

Also any other advice for non-Florida natives? Pretty sure my 3 boys wanna be Florida men, but they haven't successfully caught a lizard yet.  

We'll be exploring more of the state, going down to Dry Tortugas in a couple weeks, been to Orlando in the past so we got a feel for that area and we've spent some time a bit more north on the space coast as well.  Watched the Falcon 9 launch a couple days ago from Cocoa Beach, that was awesome.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The further south you go, the further north you are.

Stay north of Ocala.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kissfan:

Stay north of Ocala.
View Quote

Ocala has 70 year old ladies looking for the D.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Iamhere:

View Quote

You got numbers?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a great area up north of Vero. I am in Jupiter, a few hours south,down the beach. Unless you have a minimum of $1m in the bank for a house..stay away
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
That's a great area up north of Vero. I am in Jupiter, a few hours south,down the beach. Unless you have a minimum of $1m in the bank for a house..stay away
View Quote

Interesting, why is that?

Wife just sent me a house she wants to look at in Jensen, that's close to Jupiter I think.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Stay north of Ocala.

Wrong. You are thinking of the Villages which is south of Ocala. There is more Villages in Sumter than Marion. Just remember the correct luffa.

Daniel
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Where Op wented?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mustb123:
Stay away from the Vero area…..I live here…..just saying.

Welcome.
View Quote

How come?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:55:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AtomicOutdoorsman] [#11]
I'm in Fort Pierce. Vero is nice, thankfully Fort Pierce has a bad reputation so the yankees mostly go to port saint Lucie. My family moved to the Fort Pierce / Vero area after the civil war. Well like it here. If you have any questions about schools pm me. We have 3 kids in a great school.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:12:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#12]
OP, do you want salt water fishing, fresh water fishing, hunting, lots of land?  You hid your current state, but you mightfit in at Yankeetown, just north of Crystal River.  Gulf Hammock WMA is just north, the cross FL canal (never completed) is just south.  Look for the Elvis statue on Follow Your Dream Pky.

Land is cheap, crime low, good hunting/fishing rural but close enough to Crystal River.  We go there in our RV every year.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Stay north of Ocala.
View Quote

I wouldn’t say that about Collier County . Very conservative.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:

View Quote

Yup, I ain't putting up with Palies trying to march down the street.

Sign says no outlet for a reason.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
We love it out in the 710 sq mi Ocala NF. Sparsely populated and zero chance of an apartment complex or housing development popping up down the street. Ever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]

I’m a bad influence. I reload, shoot, like motorcycles, hot rods and I even fish…it’s horrible here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:

Welcome.

How come?

I’m a bad influence. I reload, shoot, like motorcycles, hot rods and I even fish…it’s horrible here.

Ahhh gotcha
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#18]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
OP, do you want salt water fishing, fresh water fishing, hunting, lots of land?  You hid your current state, but you mite fit in at Yankeetown, just north of Crystal River.  Gulf Hammock WMA is just north, the cross FL canal (never completed) is just south.  Look for the Elvis statue on Follow Your Dream Pky.

Land is cheap, crime low, good hunting/fishing rural but close enough to Crystal River.  We go there in our RV every year.
View Quote

We're kinda all over the place figuring out what we wanna do.  We're really digging a place up in Columbia County with acreage.  We're into shooting, fishing, hiking, all the outdoor stuff.  Just trying to figure out if we want to buy a few cheaper places and set them up to rent out and bounce between them or just get setup with acreage.

We're originally from the Seattle area, but spent 4 years in Virginia before traveling full time.  This is our first time spending much time in a conservative area and it's amazing!

Plastic straws, free plastic grocery bags and foam cups became were lost to us a long time ago, they feel so luxurious now.

My wife took a kid to the doctor and she asked if they wanted flu or COVID shots, my wife said no thanks and the doctor said "good answer." We loved that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:

We're kinda all over the place figuring out what we wanna do.  We're really digging a place up in Columbia County with acreage.  We're into shooting, fishing, hiking, all the outdoor stuff.  Just trying to figure out if we want to buy a few cheaper places and set them up to rent out and bounce between them or just get setup with acreage.

View Quote
Good choice. I'm the Florida Carry Region Lead in this area. Hit me up if you need any information.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Avoid the People’s Republic of Alachua County…if you enjoy Florida freedom the border counties are still free Columbia for example. Alachua County home of high taxes and higher utility rates and democrat dominated local politics. One or more home challenged earthy folks at most major intersections helping direct traffic with their signs, largest publicly administered homeless enclave in the state, City commissioners voted to double their salary but the shooting it active, have a shooting pretty much every other weekend downtown when bars are closing.
If you enjoy a challenge bring it the resistance could use some help.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
lol yep all that about Alachua county is correct. we are leaving for Columbia county for a house on acreage cant wait.

advise is the same as gadget above.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

View Quote

Are you the dude down in Costa Rica hunting reptiles ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're set on Sebastian, you might want to look for real estate just north of the county line in Brevard.   Indian River County real estate prices have gone through the roof within the last few years and everything is overpriced.   The property taxes are supposedly a good bit lower north of the county line.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Also to add:  Indian River is a hard red 2nd Amendment sanctuary county with a red Sheriff and BOCC.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
its been said north of Orlando is fl, south of Orlando is NY
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By reelserious:
its been said north of Orlando is fl, south of Orlando is NY
View Quote

and in Orlando is Puerto Rico
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Are you the dude down in Costa Rica hunting reptiles ?
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe this pictorial will help (see the Brevard County comment):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#30]

Welcome.
View Quote

Ditto.  Welcome to FL

Seriously, Vero is awesome. I shoot, ride motorcycles and explore. Its easy to do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
You are going to way overpay for a house now days. Better if you could wait a few years until the housing market collapses again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]
It's very expensive here.  My power bill was 400 last month for a 1790ft home with some heater use to keep us at 68/f.  I'm in a great church now or I would be moving.  Looking for 5 acres and a pole barn to close in and fence off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Further inland is slightly cheaper homeowners insurance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#34]
That is a great area for your family. Don't worry, your kids will have plenty of opportunity to catch lizards.

The Navy Seal museum is very close to you. Check it out, it's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Further inland is slightly cheaper homeowners insurance.
View Quote

Any zip code that touches beach has higher insurance rates and wear sunblock daily.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FB41:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41734/No_Invasion_CFL_jpg-3089633.JPG
View Quote

No lies detected.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Brevard born and raised, back here now after having lived all over this great state. This pic is not wrong! When I have to go to Orlando (which is often since my wife's cancer team is at ORMC), I'm packing a Glock on my hip and a 12.5" SBR in the trunk.

Brevard county is (currently) great. Don't buy inside Palm Bay or Melbourne city limits. Unfortunately, Viera is a cancer and it's spreading.

If you want places to rent out, and can afford the prices and the commensurate interest rates, taxes, and insurance, we have a VERY strong rental market.

If you want land, you need to go north or inland. Sebring/Highlands county is one of the last bastions of massive orange groves left, though the restaurant scene was severely lacking when my MIL moved out of Sebring six years ago. When/if interest rates calm down, we're probably going to be looking for a new place up in Clay county, likely in the Middleburg area.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GreatDane:

Brevard born and raised, back here now after having lived all over this great state. This pic is not wrong! When I have to go to Orlando (which is often since my wife's cancer team is at ORMC), I'm packing a Glock on my hip and a 12.5" SBR in the trunk.

Brevard county is (currently) great. Don't buy inside Palm Bay or Melbourne city limits. Unfortunately, Viera is a cancer and it's spreading.

If you want places to rent out, and can afford the prices and the commensurate interest rates, taxes, and insurance, we have a VERY strong rental market.

If you want land, you need to go north or inland. Sebring/Highlands county is one of the last bastions of massive orange groves left, though the restaurant scene was severely lacking when my MIL moved out of Sebring six years ago. When/if interest rates calm down, we're probably going to be looking for a new place up in Clay county, likely in the Middleburg area.
View Quote

Life long Brevard resident. I will second this, although I am in MLB, albeit very close to the river. I really enjoy living here although its getting developed much too quickly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#40]
In Citrus County I'd avoid Beverly Hills, Citrus Springs, and anything near Cardinal Lane I'm Homosassa.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

That's a good one Frank.

Op welcome to freedom and sunshine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:

Wrong. You are thinking of the Villages which is south of Ocala. There is more Villages in Sumter than Marion. Just remember the correct luffa.

Daniel
View Quote

The Villages is in Lake County, as well and expanding further south and east from Lady Lake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top