Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2023 6:45:26 AM EDT
Looking to move from CT to the Cheshire County Area any good town suggestions?
Wanting to go more rural and leave the suburbs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Planned on it next week, something outside the Keene area was what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Tied to Keene for work?  It's sort of off the beaten path in the corner.  

I know nothing of that AO, you could grab one of those cheap hotel tourist maps and scribble on it as you drive around.  

You can also look at voting records to get a view of the town, but even if it is a blue town it may be OK.

The trick is NH is everything is super dependent upon the town.  One may be a free for all no zoning or permits paradise and the town next door could be restricted all to heck.  Gotta dig into each town that looks interesting to you.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FDC:
Tied to Keene for work?  It's sort of off the beaten path in the corner.  

I know nothing of that AO, you could grab one of those cheap hotel tourist maps and scribble on it as you drive around.  

You can also look at voting records to get a view of the town, but even if it is a blue town it may be OK.

The trick is NH is everything is super dependent upon the town.  One may be a free for all no zoning or permits paradise and the town next door could be restricted all to heck.  Gotta dig into each town that looks interesting to you.  

I’m retired so the sky is the limit, just looking for a place with low taxes that’s not heavily populated.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Stoddard.  Nice small town, one of the lowest tax rates in NH.  Good lakes and woods.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rigger7:

I’m retired so the sky is the limit, just looking for a place with low taxes that’s not heavily populated.

View Quote

You can have some fun with this.  

You could try multiple trips spending a little bit of time in each area to see if it fits your preferences.  Luckily this is easy for you being nearby in CT.  I did some flying up and checking for areas to rent from 1700 miles away.  Rented site unseen around the center of the state and started looking for what I wanted.  Living in the basement of my new house now while the rest is getting finished.

Looks like you got a lead down thataway, so happy hunting.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
@rigger7

Did you get up north to look around? Any luck finding your ideal piece of NH?
View Quote

I did not, I had some  family issues come up but I’ll but I plan on going before the end of October.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Head further north
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, did you look at Stoddard?  It is the northernmost and most rural town in Cheshire County.  Has the lowest tax rate in the state and is right off of Rt 9, 20 minutes to Keene, 45 minutes to Concord.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Head further north
View Quote

Truth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top