Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 3:32:27 AM EDT
So after the cold we have had I wanted to get supplies I have used in Illinois and North Dakota. Will, I used them again? Don't know but better to have a not need than need and not have! In my experience!

I'm looking to buy another kerosene heater! Yet looking for a place that will sell the fuel, not at a cutthroat price! $7.00+ for a gallon that's everyday!

So looking for a dealer who can sell me a lot of a gas station that sells it by the gallon! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Right now, you're looking to buy the same things that several million other people are looking to buy.

Suggestion: Wait a few months.

When summertime temperatures are well over 100 degrees - and this cold spell is nothing but a distant memory -  heaters and fuel will be plentiful, and dirt-cheap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been buying Jet A at the local airport for general purposes, though I don't have a heater at this time.  (Looks like I will be getting one, after that last freeze.)

For my lanterns and for charcoal lighter it seems fine, and likely is cleaner than most kerosene based fuels.  Cheaper than the store brand kerosene.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Austin and I've tried on and off over the years to find a bulk 1K Kerosene merchant in the area.  No luck.  I used my 10K btu heater this past storm . . . running six days straight . . . refilling every 8 hours of so.  Interrupted sleep is just peachy

I have a 23.5K btu heater coming in tomorrow.  Now, all I need is the kerosene.  I used my two 5 gal cans that were over 10 years old; they were still perfect.  I used another 10 gallons that I purchased in the last year or so.  But, like you, I'm tired of paying $7-$10 per gallon.  And, today, there isn't any to be found anywhere.  As I find it over the summer, I'll buy all I can if the price stays below $8.

If anyone knows of bulk kerosene (1K) available somewhere between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, please tell me.  I'll gladly drive to stock up on it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now, you're looking to buy the same things that several million other people are looking to buy.

Suggestion: Wait a few months.

When summertime temperatures are well over 100 degrees - and this cold spell is nothing but a distant memory -  heaters and fuel will be plentiful, and dirt-cheap.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Call some of the rural fuel coop’s near you.  Some of them have bulk tanks you can get it from if you have card access.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Kerosene availability and price volatility is one of the reasons I prefer propane for backup heat.

It also works great for running a generator.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with what Skibane said ^^^

Several years ago I wanted to get kerosene heaters for backup.  Fortunately I started looking for kerosene first.  It used to be available at a couple of gas stations by the gallon, but no more.
So I called a couple of oil distributors and could order it in by the 55 gallon drum for $5 a gallon...No...

Switched to propane and never looked back.

Also, don't I remember that some Jet A has anti icing additives and etc. added to it?  Might not be too good to inhale when burned...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Before I posted above, I should have checked around a little more.  I just called Sun Coast Resources (512-410-3400; 7759 Johnny Morris Rd, Austin, TX 78724) and they said they sell 1K kerosene (dyed) for about $5/gal bulk or in 55-gallon drums . . . didn't ask price for drums as it is likely higher per gallon than bulk).  He said it is dyed because it can only be used for heating and there is no sales tax because of it.  AWESOME!  He said bring whatever you like to fill up . . . even buckets
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Try here,
https://goo.gl/maps/TMpwVrHFaCeZajw79

I buy from their location in Odessa Tx
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Yes but on High on a Big Buddy heater a 20 lbs lasted less then 24 hours. (Might be because it's 10 years old?)

When I had a kerosene heater I could uses it on high for 12+ hours on 2 gallons of fuel. So 5 gallons would last 24+ hours and 20 gallons last 4 days.

I was going to wait until summer to buy it anyway I was just trying to find a place that sold it! I might go to my propane guy and see if he might be able to help me out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The google map link in my post above is in Abilene
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try here,
https://goo.gl/maps/TMpwVrHFaCeZajw79

I buy from their location in Odessa Tx
View Quote

$hit thanks! I did not read you post before I posted! That's only an hour drive for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top