Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2021 10:29:56 AM EDT
Wife and I think we want to relocate to the Tyler area.  Any and all input - good and bad - from members familiar with the area would be most appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Good friend moved to Bullard last year,they like it there.
He is building a place on Lake Palestine now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks bigthicket.  

Anyone else able to give any insight?  May post a similar thread in GD to see if I can get any more input there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Grew up there but moved away.  Most of my family is still in the area.  I would look at far south Tyler, Bullard, Flint and Whitehouse.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Bullard and love the area. I used to live in Flint before that but the neighborhood we lived in turned to rent houses very quick. Avoid some areas around Lake Palestine as some of the POAs out there are rough and full of dopers. Another great area north of Tyler is the Lindale area. Whitehouse is also pretty nice as well. If you have kids Bullard, Lindale and Whitehouse school districts are all very good but get ready to pay some school taxes. All in all it's really a great area that still has the small city vibes with decent shopping and food choices. I moved out here about 4 years ago from North Texas and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again guys.  

We’re in the DFW area now - have lived in this general area for almost 30 years.  

We want to move further east (we miss the piney woods) but would like to stay within a couple of hours of DFW because wife still has family here.  My work situation gives me the ability to live just about anywhere.  However, we have to be near decent hospitals due to wife’s medical conditions, so that limits our focus a bit.  The Tyler area seems to check most of those boxes.  

Since I won’t be commuting into work, we’re planning to stay outside the outer “loop” as we look for houses.  We also are older and don’t have any school age children so schools aren’t really a concern.  So far we’ve looked in the Whitehouse, East Lake Tyler, Lindale and Hawkins areas, and really like what we’ve seen.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know much about Tyler, but you have to take into account that they have a hospital/doctors there. People get old when they retire, they develop health issues. If you're an hour away by ambulance, that works against you.

I don't know what's in the "suburbs" of Tyler, but my wife and I like to drive through those areas and hit the little small towns when we go that way on business.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Wills Point but grew up in Canton. I have family members all around the Tyler area, with most of them living in either Chandler or Brownsboro. I really like the property around Chandler and Edom if I were to live there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
South Tyler is nice and where the money is.

Lindale is growing and has amazing schools.

Mineola is also becoming a very nice place and can be in South Tyler in 45 minutes with the new toll road.

I grew up in the area all my live.

31 north is the ghetto, 31 south is the azela/historic district and the ever expanding south Tyler.

Bullard/flint is going to rape you in taxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top