Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 12:14:18 PM EDT
Over Memorial Day week I plan on taking a several day road trip with a friend of mine.  I figure I will be spending a day or three in NH.  

I am doing so because I have never set foot in the state, but also with an eye towards New Hampshire being a possible place for me to move to in 6 years when I can leave my current job (don't worry, I'm trying to get away from the NYC liberalism that is destroying NY State, not looking to spread it).  

I was hoping someone can give me an idea of things to do or places to go or see while I am in the state.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

-K
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Well what kinda touristy stuff you looking to do?

Sight see?
hiking?
camping?
fishing?
visit ranges?
gun stores?
see mountain vistas?
visit local pubs?
historical stuff?

just looking where to point is all
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sight see?
hiking?
camping?
fishing?
visit ranges?
gun stores?
see mountain vistas?
visit local pubs?
historical stuff?

View Quote

@Archangel1972

Thank you for the help.  I hate to give such a flippant answer, but... yes.  

I would be up for pretty much all of that.  Sight seeing for sure, hiking yes, not so much for camping or fishing or shooting.  I actually wouldn't mind visiting a decent gun store in a free state (even though it will just make me sad), mountain vistas and local pubs are an absolute yes, and I'm a history buff, so yes to that too.  

-K
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well for shorter hikes there are some pretty decent spots in the Campton/Thornton/Waterville area.

There is one trail called Dickey-Welch that loops together 2 smaller mtns  and takes like 2 to 3 hours to do from what I recall and had one or two spots that had some really decent views.

There is the "Kanc" to travel which also has some decent views in a few spots. It travels from Lincoln over to Conway  there are quite a few different bars at each end to visit. I do not know though due to Covid what will be open and what may have closed.  I am no longer local to those areas

I have taken my bride to a place called the red sleigh inn  a few year back its a nice little B&B in that area or was 4 or 5 years ago.

There is always Portsmouth too for bar crawling, however due to covid that maybe diminished HARD

truth of the matter is a lot of restaurant and pub stuff maybe really pooched.

I'm pretty sure the hiking trails will still be open but a lot of the attractions Im scared to recommend cause who knows what will be and what wont be at that point.

Sorry Im not much help.

Um for a store to visit I would say check out Shooters in Manchester/Hooksett

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well for shorter hikes there are some pretty decent spots in the Campton/Thornton/Waterville area.

There is one trail called Dickey-Welch that loops together 2 smaller mtns  and takes like 2 to 3 hours to do from what I recall and had one or two spots that had some really decent views.

There is the "Kanc" to travel which also has some decent views in a few spots. It travels from Lincoln over to Conway  there are quite a few different bars at each end to visit. I do not know though due to Covid what will be open and what may have closed.  I am no longer local to those areas

I have taken my bride to a place called the red sleigh inn  a few year back its a nice little B&B in that area or was 4 or 5 years ago.

There is always Portsmouth too for bar crawling, however due to covid that maybe diminished HARD

truth of the matter is a lot of restaurant and pub stuff maybe really pooched.

I'm pretty sure the hiking trails will still be open but a lot of the attractions Im scared to recommend cause who knows what will be and what wont be at that point.

Sorry Im not much help.

Um for a store to visit I would say check out Shooters in Manchester/Hooksett

View Quote

@Archangel1972

Sincerely, thank you.    I will look into all of that.  It's not just me, but also my travel buddy, and I'm not as sure what she is up for.  I think we will be spending the night in Portsmouth our first night, and then from there I'm not sure.  

By chance, can you tell me anything about Lebanon?  I'm thinking I might want to visit there for a look-see.

-K
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well not I. We had a dealership up there so I know a little about that area, BUT Very little

I do know someone whom did work there so I shall ask him see what he says about the area.

I do think there is some things to see just across the border into VT
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well not I. We had a dealership up there so I know a little about that area, BUT Very little

I do know someone whom did work there so I shall ask him see what he says about the area.

I do think there is some things to see just across the border into VT
View Quote

Thank you!  I am familiar with Vermont and have family there, but I don't think I can stand the politics - and it's only going to get worse.  That is a part of why I'm considering New Hampshire - a lot of the good without as much of the blue state stupidity.  

-K
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Mount Monadnock is a very popular hike if you're in the SW corner of NH.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mount Monadnock is a very popular hike if you're in the SW corner of NH.
View Quote

I think I will be in that area.  Thank you!  

-K
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

By chance, can you tell me anything about Lebanon?  I'm thinking I might want to visit there for a look-see.

-K
View Quote

I’m new to the state, so I’m still seeing things through the eyes of a newb.  A few of our doctors are in Lebanon, but the town there I really like (to visit, anyways) is Hanover, just north of Lebanon.  It’s a college town that appears to have a bit of a foodie culture.

We’ve only driven through Portsmouth but it has a great downtown.  We’re planning a weekend there as soon as Covid calms down and more places reopen.  Keene is another area I’d like to explore.  And if you are in Nashua and are looking for a unique restaurant / bar, there’s a speakeasy themed place.

Less stomach and more nature related, the Lake Winnepesaukee area is great if you like lake life.  Everyone needs to visit Franconia Notch State Park and walk the loop.  And there are more gorgeous areas in the White Mountains than you can shake a stick at.  The Conway area has many great B&Bs, if that looks appealing reach out and I can recommend one in particular that has private cabins in case y’all get a little loud.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@Archangel1972

I would be up for pretty much all of that.  Sight seeing for sure, hiking yes, not so much for camping or fishing or shooting.  I actually wouldn't mind visiting a decent gun store in a free state (even though it will just make me sad), mountain vistas and local pubs are an absolute yes, and I'm a history buff, so yes to that too.  

-K
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sight see?
hiking?
camping?
fishing?
visit ranges?
gun stores?
see mountain vistas?
visit local pubs?
historical stuff?

@Archangel1972

-K

@Special-K

Not to come off as a dick but that's a lot of what NH is. If you want to come here and do touristy shit then by all means do so. Drop off plenty of money and then leave.

You mentioned eventually moving here, please don't unless you're willing to learn to mind your own business, help your like minded neighbors and be self sufficient. A lot of our population very much enjoys the things you said "not so much" to.

We don't want big governments and all kind of services to wipe our asses for us. We take pride in being able to take care of ourselves and neighbors.

Our state motto is "LIVE FREE OR DIE"

If you don't like that then by all means please stay in your fucked up state and enjoy the shit you voted for and created for yourself.

Again, I don't mean to come across as a dick but since COVID hit I've seen more NY, MA and CT license plates than I ever have. I was born and raised here. If you think you're going to bring your bullshit, fucked up politics here then think again.

You people need to learn that you're coming here to escape your bullshit Liberal utopias that you've created and are fleeing from isn't welcome. I'm tired of watching the southern half of the state turn Blue because of the parasitic migration north from Liberal shitholes like yours.

Fuck that, Reap what you fucking sowed or be willing to grow some balls and learn how to take care of your own shit!

ETA: I grew up in a small town and a development went in the neighborhood. We often went out back shooting and once the development went in suddenly got a visit from the cops for a  noise complaint for the shooting. Invited the cops to come see where we were shooting and the officer declined saying it wasn't necessary and we were well within our rights. As soon as he left we went back out and shot twice as long to make the point to our new Karens.

If you don't like it go back to where you came from.......

You're coming here for a reason. Stop and think about that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Special-K

Not to come off as a dick but that's a lot of what NH is. If you want to come here and do touristy shit then by all means do so. Drop off plenty of money and then leave.

You mentioned eventually moving here, please don't unless you're willing to learn to mind your own business, help your like minded neighbors and be self sufficient. A lot of our population very much enjoys the things you said "not so much" to.

We don't want big governments and all kind of services to wipe our asses for us. We take pride in being able to take care of ourselves and neighbors.

If you don't like that then by all means please stay in your fucked up state and enjoy the shit you voted for and created for yourself.

Again, I don't mean to come across as a dick but since COVID hit I've seen more NY, MA and CT license plates than I ever have. I was born and raised here. If you think you're going to bring your bullshit, fucked up politics here then think again.

You people need to learn that you're coming here to escape your bullshit Liberal utopias that you've created and are fleeing from isn't welcome. I'm tired of watching the southern half of the state turn Blue because of the parasitic migration north from Liberal shitholes like yours.

Fuck that, Reap what you fucking sowed or be willing to grow some balls and learn how to take care of your own shit!
View Quote

@preemptiveStrike  sorry, but yeah, you sound like a dick.

Quite frankly, I'm going to do what I want. If you don't like it, too effing bad.

Yes, I understand that camping and hiking and fishing is a big part of New Hampshire. That's great. That's part of why I am thinking of moving there. But it probably isn't something I'm looking to do on a day or two worth of road trip. Sorry that offends you. Actually, not sorry in the least.  But even if those things aren't something that interest me, so what? Does that keep you from enjoying that? No, it doesn't, does it? Again, you sound like a dick.

You tell me that you don't want the government doing all of those those things for you. Yeah, great. Has it occurred to you that that is maybe why I'm looking to leave the shit hole that New York state has become? Apparently not... Again, you sound like a dick.  And taking care of yourselves? Yeah, again, that's great. What makes you think I won't be able to do that myself? Again, you sound like a dick.

Regarding my state and my vote... Do you have any idea what the fuck you are talking about? Obviously you do not. Again, you sound like a dick. I live in Western New York, south of Buffalo, up against Lake Erie. You cannot get any further from the bullshit of New York City and still be in New York state. I am trying to get away from that bullshit, not perpetuate it.  I have been on this site longer than you have. What makes you think that I am some kind of idiot New York City liberal who votes for this kind of bulshit? Again, you cannot get further away from New York City's bullshit than I am. I do not perpetuate that bullshit, I am a victim of it. Again, you sound like a dick. You have no idea who I have voted for, or how often. In fact, you probably are entirely ignorant of the fact that every state and federal level politician where I am from is a REPUBLICAN - whom I have personally met and voted for.  My US  congressman is a Republican, my state assemblyman is a Republican, and my state senator is a Republican-in who's living room I have had drinks or breakfast on a number of occasions.  I did not vote for ANY of the bullshit that New York City politicians are inflicting upon our entire state.  If anything, I will be a refugee from that bullshit.  I thought I made that pretty clear in my initial post.

If having a conservative refugee from a liberal shithole state moving into your state offends you, like I said, too effing bad. Kiss my ass. If I'm going to move into your state I'm going to do so, and you have nothing to say about it. Again, kiss my ass.

Here, look at this map. It is a map of the United States by voting Precinct. I am in the far southwest corner of New York State. You may notice that New York state is a hell of a lot more red than New Hampshire is, isn't it...

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quite frankly, I'm going to do what I want. If you don't like it, too effing bad.

Yes, I understand that camping and hiking and fishing is a big part of New Hampshire. That's great. That's part of why I am thinking of moving there. But it probably isn't something I'm looking to do on a day or two worth of road trip. Sorry that offends you. Actually, not sorry in the least.  But even if those things aren't something that interest me, so what? Does that keep you from enjoying that? No, it doesn't, does it? Again, you sound like a dick.

You tell me that you don't want the government doing all of those those things for you. Yeah, great. Has it occurred to you that that is maybe why I'm looking to leave the shit hole that New York state has become? Apparently not... Again, you sound like a dick.  And taking care of yourselves? Yeah, again, that's great. What makes you think I won't be able to do that myself? Again, you sound like a dick.

Regarding my state and my vote... Do you have any idea what the fuck you are talking about? Obviously you do not. Again, you sound like a dick. I live in Western New York, south of Buffalo, up against Lake Erie. You cannot get any further from the bullshit of New York City and still be in New York state. I am trying to get away from that bullshit, not perpetuate it.  I have been on this site longer than you have. What makes you think that I am some kind of idiot New York City liberal who votes for this kind of bulshit? Again, you cannot get further away from New York City's bullshit than I am. I do not perpetuate that bullshit, I am a victim of it. Again, you sound like a dick. You have no idea who I have voted for, or how often. In fact, you probably are entirely ignorant of the fact that every state and federal level politician where I am from is a REPUBLICAN.  My US  congressman is a Republican, my state assemblyman is a Republican, and my state senator is a Republican-in who's living room I have had breakfast on a number of occasions.  I did not vote for ANY of the bullshit that New York City politicians are inflicting upon our entire state.  If anything, I will be a refugee from that bullshit.

If having a conservative refugee from a liberal shithole state moving into your state offends you, like I said, too effing bad. Kiss my ass. If I'm going to move into your state I'm going to do so, and you have nothing to say about it. Again, kiss my ass.

Here, look at this map. It is a map of the United States by voting Precinct. I am in the far southwest corner of New York State. You may notice that New York state is a hell of a lot more red than New Hampshire is, isn't it...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46102/DHV3ZG3FCUZ2ZFFELP2MTHLE44-1780429.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Special-K

Regarding my state and my vote... Do you have any idea what the fuck you are talking about? Obviously you do not. Again, you sound like a dick. I live in Western New York, south of Buffalo, up against Lake Erie. You cannot get any further from the bullshit of New York City and still be in New York state. I am trying to get away from that bullshit, not perpetuate it.  I have been on this site longer than you have. What makes you think that I am some kind of idiot New York City liberal who votes for this kind of bulshit? Again, you cannot get further away from New York City's bullshit than I am. I do not perpetuate that bullshit, I am a victim of it. Again, you sound like a dick. You have no idea who I have voted for, or how often. In fact, you probably are entirely ignorant of the fact that every state and federal level politician where I am from is a REPUBLICAN.  My US  congressman is a Republican, my state assemblyman is a Republican, and my state senator is a Republican-in who's living room I have had breakfast on a number of occasions.  I did not vote for ANY of the bullshit that New York City politicians are inflicting upon our entire state.  If anything, I will be a refugee from that bullshit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46102/DHV3ZG3FCUZ2ZFFELP2MTHLE44-1780429.jpg

@Special-K Ok, then I like your attitude. When you come here let me know..... you'll get a handshake without a faggy mask on and beers on me

Signed----- The dick

ETA If you have a MC lets arrange it for the summer and I'l take you on a great ride. In NH you don't have to wear a brain bucket

ETA#2 Fuck your state!

ETA#3 bring guns because NH is constitutional carry and everything is legal (NFA items with proper paperwork), range time is on me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Special-K Ok, then I like your attitude. When you come here let me know..... you'll get a handshake without a faggy mask on and beers on me

Signed----- The dick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Special-K

Signed----- The dick

@PreemptiveStrike

... Takes deep breath...

I'm sorry.  I have had several drinks, and I have been a bit annoyed of late. I probably should have waited until tomorrow before I responded. I could have been a bit more diplomatic, and a bit less testicly in my response. The character of my response was unnecessary.

I remember when I was in the Army, many years ago, and people would ask where I was from. They would automatically assume that I was from the concrete jungle of New York City when I told them I was from Chautauqua County, New York. Such is the nature of this terrible state.

One of the things that most annoys me is hearing about the people who leave New York, fleeing the liberalism of New York City, but then voting for the same bullshit that created the conditions that they themselves just fled. We see it in Virginia, and we see it in Florida. We the same thing in Nevada, Arizona, and soon to be Utah and Idaho from California. Colorado as well. Liberalism is a disease. It is a virus. And much like locusts, after destroying one area, they move on to another.

I should not take such offense at your not unreasonable assumption that I would do the same.

I would ask the question - who hated the Nazis the most? Was it the British? Was it the Americans? No... It was the French and Dutch resistance Fighters, who had to live and experience Nazi occupation firsthand, in their face. I am not a Nazi, but rather a Dutch or French resistance fighter escaping across Enemy Lines. Nobody hates them more than me. Because I, hopefully unlike yourself, have seen, firsthand, what New York City liberalism actually does.

I do not know you, but I will acknowledge that you are, in real life, probably not a dick.  

Yes, I have an MC, but I have not ridden it in a number of years after a close encounter with a herd of deer.  Regardless, my lady friend and I will not be traveling on that!

Yes, fuck New York State! And fuck Andrew Cuomo, and fuck the New York City liberals who have turned New York State into what it is! That's why I'm leaving - and taking my tax dollars and productivity with me. Fuck masks too - they are as useless as Hunter Biden's child support order.

I don't know about guns though - I lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident on Lake Erie.  NFA stuff sounds like a dream come true though!

-K

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@PreemptiveStrike

... Takes deep breath...

I'm sorry.  I have had several drinks, and I have been a bit annoyed of late. I probably should have waited until tomorrow before I responded. I could have been a bit more diplomatic, and a bit less testicly in my response. The character of my response was unnecessary.

I remember when I was in the Army, many years ago, and people would ask where I was from. They would automatically assume that I was from the concrete jungle of New York City when I told them I was from Chautauqua County, New York. Such is the nature of this terrible state.

One of the things that most annoys me is hearing about the people who leave New York, fleeing the liberalism of New York City, but then voting for the same bullshit that created the conditions that they themselves just fled. We see it in Virginia, and we see it in Florida. We the same thing in Nevada, Arizona, and soon to be Utah and Idaho from California. Colorado as well. Liberalism is a disease. It is a virus. And much like locusts, after destroying one area, they move on to another.

I should not take such offense at your not unreasonable assumption that I would do the same.

I would ask the question - who hated the Nazis the most? Was it the British? Was it the Americans? No... It was the French and Dutch resistance Fighters, who had to live and experience Nazi occupation firsthand, in their face. I am not a Nazi, but rather a Dutch or French resistance fighter escaping across Enemy Lines. Nobody hates them more than me. Because I, hopefully unlike yourself, have seen, firsthand, what New York City liberalism actually does.

I do not know you, but I will acknowledge that you are, in real life, probably not a dick.  

Yes, I have an MC, but I have not ridden it in a number of years after a close encounter with a herd of deer.  Regardless, my lady friend and I will not be traveling on that!

Yes, fuck New York State! And fuck Andrew Cuomo, and fuck the New York City liberals who have turned New York State into what it is! That's why I'm leaving - and taking my tax dollars and productivity with me. Fuck masks too - they are as useless as Hunter Biden's child support order.

I don't know about guns though - I lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident on Lake Erie.  NFA stuff sounds like a dream come true though!

-K

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Special-K

Signed----- The dick

@PreemptiveStrike

... Takes deep breath...

-K

@Special-K All good, when you decide to visit seriously let me know  (I don't visit the site a lot so @ me and that should push it through). All my offers stand firm....

-The dick I'm heading to bed. Good night to you and yours.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
@preemptiveStrike

Again, on an additional reading of what I posted, I apologize.

I responded to you like I would have responded to some idiot liberal on my congressman's or local news station's Facebook page instead of an American Patriot who believes in the same things I do.  You didn't deserve that.

I should pour myself another drink, but instead I'm going to go to bed.  I wish you the best, and perhaps there will be beers involved. If the first round is on you then the second will be on me!

-K

ETA lol we're posting past eachother! Seriously, life is good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@preemptiveStrike

I responded to you like I would have responded to some idiot liberal on my congressman's or local news station's Facebook page instead of an American Patriot who believes in the same things I do.  You didn't deserve that.

I should pour myself another drink, but instead I'm going to go to bed.  I wish you the best, and perhaps there will be beers involved. If the first round is on you then the second will be on me!

-K

View Quote

@Special-K

I'm the one who should apologize. My rant wasn't directed at you, I was venting about the mass influx we've seemed to have over the last year especially. Cookie cutter developments are popping up everywhere and a lot of it is people moving up here from southern New England states, bringing their politics with them. A lot of open land and farms are disappearing and NH is losing the things that make us NH.

Again, my apologies and my offers stand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I find it difficult to come up with a list of things to do, here in the Hanover/Lebanon area. And I live in this area. A very large portion of the appeal here is the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, skiing, sledding (snowmobiling), off-roading, hiking, etc.

Lebanon is The Shopping Town, or at least W. Lebanon is. Hanover is home to Dartmouth College, the Ivy League and bastion of liberal political  overlords for the entire area . But there is lots of good food in the cluster of towns including Hanover, Lebanon, Lyme and across the river in Norwich VT.

If I were to find myself in Portsmouth, I'd make sure I headed across the Maine border to Kittery Trading Post. They are a very large retail outfitters with everything you'd ever need for hunting and fishing, boating, clothing, if-they-don't-have-it-you-don't-need-it kind of place. Also, at least in the past, they had a very large firearm section, new and used guns galore. Probably have to check to see if they're open.

And if I went to KTP, you can betcha I'd walk across the parking lot and have a pile of fried seafood at Bob's Clam Hut. I never miss a visit to the Clam Shack when I'm at KTP.

As others have mentioned, the White Mountains are full of attractions. A good way to get an initial impression is to drive up or down Rt 93 right through the middle of it. Rt 3 parallels 93 and is how you get to all of the touristy spots. And definitely worth driving across the Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112). Anybody who has lived in NH for more than a couple months pronounces it, "Kankamangus". It was many years before I realized there was no "n" in there.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you're in the Whites, Bretton Woods is pretty cool. Depending on the weather, they have an excellent golf course. And whether you golf or not, its very cool to go sit on the outdoor veranda of the Mt. Washington Hotel and nurse a gin and tonic or a scotch and enjoy the view. Gorgeous place.

There are historical attractions all over the state. It's fun to stop at the historical markers and read about what occurred at that location. Do a search for NH historical attractions. Here's a sample, History!

It would behoove you to check ahead to see what's going to be open due to covid.

Enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@Special-K

I'm the one who should apologize. My rant wasn't directed at you, I was venting about the mass influx we've seemed to have over the last year especially. Cookie cutter developments are popping up everywhere and a lot of it is people moving up here from southern New England states, bringing their politics with them. A lot of open land and farms are disappearing and NH is losing the things that make us NH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@preemptiveStrike

-K

@Special-K

D'aww you guuuyss
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

D'aww you guuuyss
View Quote

No shit..  two drunks making out online..  

LOL

hopefully they woke up the next day and did not have to chew off an arm to get away
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL

hopefully they woke up the next day and did not have to chew off an arm to get away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D'aww you guuuyss

LOL

Super Troopers - Stinks like sex in here

I'm detecting some jealousy......
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find it difficult to come up with a list of things to do, here in the Hanover/Lebanon area. And I live in this area. A very large portion of the appeal here is the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, skiing, sledding (snowmobiling), off-roading, hiking, etc.

Lebanon is The Shopping Town, or at least W. Lebanon is. Hanover is home to Dartmouth College, the Ivy League and bastion of liberal political  overlords for the entire area . But there is lots of good food in the cluster of towns including Hanover, Lebanon, Lyme and across the river in Norwich VT.

If I were to find myself in Portsmouth, I'd make sure I headed across the Maine border to Kittery Trading Post. They are a very large retail outfitters with everything you'd ever need for hunting and fishing, boating, clothing, if-they-don't-have-it-you-don't-need-it kind of place. Also, at least in the past, they had a very large firearm section, new and used guns galore. Probably have to check to see if they're open.

And if I went to KTP, you can betcha I'd walk across the parking lot and have a pile of fried seafood at Bob's Clam Hut. I never miss a visit to the Clam Shack when I'm at KTP.

As others have mentioned, the White Mountains are full of attractions. A good way to get an initial impression is to drive up or down Rt 93 right through the middle of it. Rt 3 parallels 93 and is how you get to all of the touristy spots. And definitely worth driving across the Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112). Anybody who has lived in NH for more than a couple months pronounces it, "Kankamangus". It was many years before I realized there was no "n" in there.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you're in the Whites, Bretton Woods is pretty cool. Depending on the weather, they have an excellent golf course. And whether you golf or not, its very cool to go sit on the outdoor veranda of the Mt. Washington Hotel and nurse a gin and tonic or a scotch and enjoy the view. Gorgeous place.

There are historical attractions all over the state. It's fun to stop at the historical markers and read about what occurred at that location. Do a search for NH historical attractions. Here's a sample, History!

It would behoove you to check ahead to see what's going to be open due to covid.

Enjoy your trip!
View Quote

@JCoop thank you.  So maybe Lebanon and the surrounding areas won't much be to my liking.  Real Estate prices seemed really high from what little I looked, and I suppose that explains it.  

I will definitely check out Trading Post, and my travel buddy is excited to check out Bob's - that's why we're going into Maine, she wants lobster.  The White Mountains will be on our list and we'll make sure to see about taking 112.  Thank you for the Breton Woods tip also!  

-K
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQgAhEB5OF4

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

D'aww you guuuyss

LOL

-K

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It'd be the best you ever had and you wouldn't ever go back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Let me know if you need a hook up for a hotel room while in the seacoast area.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]
@preemptiveStrike can you IM me?  Your inbox is full...  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top