Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 3:04:11 PM EDT
In summary, I need an engineer or architect to sign and seal an application I made to build a non load-bearing wall to divide a bedroom into two in a 1980's back to back townhouse, where all the weight is carried by the exterior walls (there are no walls anywhere near, above or below, the proposed wall).  I was stupid enough to have applied and paid a non-refundable fee of over $750 thinking I should do the right thing. Since I'm out $750, I might as well see how much an additional signature would cost me.

I'm not having any luck finding professionals that focus on residential projects.  Yelp pitches contractors and yellow pages online sends me information for companies that are no longer in business.

If anyone knows an engineer (the gov did not state during the application that an engineer's signature would be required nor what type of engineer they're looking for, but I suspect it's structural).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot help you, however I would check with a roof truss manufacturing plant...84 Lumber, Builders First Source to give you a couple names.  They probably will not have an engineer on site but might be able to send you in the right direction.  That was an expensive lesson, off the top of my head I suspect to get the plans "sealed" is going to be close to if not over $1k
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would anyone need a permit for a non-load bearing wall?  It should not add that much weight to your floor joists.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:03:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MG-70] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GE-Mini-Gun:
I cannot help you, however I would check with a roof truss manufacturing plant...84 Lumber, Builders First Source to give you a couple names.  They probably will not have an engineer on site but might be able to send you in the right direction.  That was an expensive lesson, off the top of my head I suspect to get the plans "sealed" is going to be close to if not over $1k
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion of checking with a lumber supplier! That's a great idea.  For larger projects, info on sizing load-bearing beams, etc., I'm sure there is info, tables, etc., at the library.

FOLLOW-UP to this that may be useful for others.

From a bit of research, it's cheaper to hire a structural engineer than an architect (who many times subcontracts the engineering portion of the project). After many failed attempts calling structural engineering firms found through yelp and the online yellow pages, I came across a website affiliated with the old Angie's List called Homeadvisor.com in which I entered some basic info about my project and authorized supposed "vetted" professionals to bid on the job, as in send you quotes.

In a matter of two days I received bids from four or five companies who work with small projects and selected one to inspect the space prior to advising me on how to modify my plans (drawn on the free version of sketchup). He then added some general description of the proposed work, signed and sealed the plans, and sent them back to me so that I could resubmit them.

I haven't received a reply from the county, but the highest bid I received for someone to "sign and seal" my plans, without ever viewing the plans or visiting the property, was $1200. I paid three bills. The non-refundable application fee to Montgomery County was $750. If the engineer was to draw the plans, I can only imagine the cost. Montgomery County, MD charging an exorbitant price for a building permit for a non load-bearing bedroom partition wall and requiring an engineer or architect to sign the plans is Big Government at its Ugliest!!! I now understand why so many people don't pull permits.

My suggestion for anyone in the same position, especially for such a small project, is to simply not apply for a permit and do the work to code, or hire someone to do the work to code, regardless if the person is licensed or not.  The International Building Codes codes are available for viewing, but not printing, online (print screen works, although is tedious), and libraries have them as well. If you ever decide to sell the property and are worried about a permit not having been pulled, then sell it in "as-is" condition.  Governments, local, state, and federal, sell properties in as-is condition every single day; from homes to vehicles and everything in between.

After living in Montgomery County for 40 years, I can truly say it's sad to see what has become of it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I still don't understand why you need a permit for a non-load bearing interior wall.  This state is fuked up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top