Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2020 11:47:49 PM EDT
I know this is going to be a stretch, but a buddy and I are looking for a hog hunting spot that's not going to cost. Preferably free since it's the first stab at it and may not be a regular thing. We're not on a hunting lease or anything and will go WMA if we have to but hoping we can find something better. Maybe a farm with a hog problem or something to that effect.

In the Columbus, Ga area but not opposed to a bit of a drive is anyone knows of such an opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I just came to HTF to make a similar post
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Got any friends on Benning that can sponsor you?  The post is covered up with them..
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got any friends on Benning that can sponsor you?  The post is covered up with them..
View Quote
"Friend" might be a strong word but maybe a good enough acquaintance. Do you know what having someone on post sponsoring me entails/how that works?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Grew up in Columbus and now in Atlanta. A friend from Columbus went up to the Cohutta Wildlife Management Area in Epworth, Ga or north central Ga to check out spots for black bear hunting. On the way back to his car, he was walking down a main trail head that was more of a access path for trucks to get in for maintenance. When he was a few minutes to his car, he saw about 20-30 hogs, mostly comprised of young hogs, just siting in the middle of the path. This was a few months back around October. Needless to say there are hogs up there. I’d check the hunting guidelines but he said as long as it’s rifle season for where you are they are fair game so obviously can’t shoot rifle during bow season for deer up there but again I’d check the hunting laws. I plan on heading up there soon to check it out
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Grew up in Columbus and now in Atlanta. A friend from Columbus went up to the Cohutta Wildlife Management Area in Epworth, Ga or north central Ga to check out spots for black bear hunting. On the way back to his car, he was walking down a main trail head that was more of a access path for trucks to get in for maintenance. When he was a few minutes to his car, he saw about 20-30 hogs, mostly comprised of young hogs, just siting in the middle of the path. This was a few months back around October. Needless to say there are hogs up there. I’d check the hunting guidelines but he said as long as it’s rifle season for where you are they are fair game so obviously can’t shoot rifle during bow season for deer up there but again I’d check the hunting laws. I plan on heading up there soon to check it out
View Quote
Great info. Atlanta metro here, as well. Will add this to the list. Have to research night hunting on public land - but assuming it’s a no-go
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I gather on the Georgia DNR website night hunting and over bait are no go, and any gun that's allowed for whatever is currently in season (i.e. bird shot or rimfire when small game is only thing in season).

But on private land night, bait, and any legally owned firearm are all good to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From what I gather on the Georgia DNR website night hunting and over bait are no go, and any gun that's allowed for whatever is currently in season (i.e. bird shot or rimfire when small game is only thing in season).

But on private land night, bait, and any legally owned firearm are all good to go.
View Quote
Dang - figured. Thanks for the info.

have a spot to hunt in south Florida on private land at night, but I’ll settle for day hunt closer to home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top