Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2021 11:21:09 PM EDT
I’m in San Diego Ca. My wife is from Texas and still has family there in Sanger, she’s on board to move ASAP. For work I’m am elevator mechanic so I can move to Dallas or Austin relatively easy. There’s a little more work in Austin, but her family said Austin is kind of what I’m trying to get away from as far as homeless and all that. I’m looking to live within an hour drive to either city.

We’re driving there in April for a couple of weeks to check it out. I’m still on the fence because I would be transferring jobs and having to get to know everyone/etc and leaving my parents who are getting older. However, I would like to get away from the liberal bullshit here and be able to have my ARs un-neutered and live in a free state.

Any info you guys could give would be appreciated.

And I know this isn’t GD but just to add, I won’t be bringing any liberal voting because I hate liberal commie shit.

ETA: I guess what I wrote is a little vague. I’m more specifically asking about the different cities and surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been to Austin several times but am not that familiar with it. So I don’t know which suburbs, neighborhoods or schools are good or bad. Austin is supposedly smaller than Dallas, but I thought the traffic was worse than Dallas traffic, and Dallas traffic can be pretty bad, especially during rush hour. I’ll leave it to Austinites to fill you in on that.

As for the Dallas area, the northern suburbs are supposedly preferred and have decent schools. But they’re pricier and getting more saturated and with more traffic. I live about 30 miles south of Dallas. Less traffic, more laid back, but it’s growing fast, as is pretty much all of Texas and the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex area. So housing everywhere is getting ridiculous, but I’m guessing it’s still less expensive than San Diego. All in all the DFW area is decent and the economy is strong for now.

As for ARs, you don’t have to worry about any of that stuff here in Texas. No mag limits and Texas is a shall issue state for License to Carry (open or concealed). Lots of local gun shops and several indoor and outdoor gun ranges to choose from. The main problem now is the one facing the rest of the nation - guns and ammo shortage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If your trying to escape CA then Austin is not the place.  If you want CA lite then it is the place for you.  Austin is full of self serving liberals that enjoy the smell of their own farts.  The white guilt there is extremely high.  So much so the decided they wanted to defund the police to prove they are not racist. The traffics also sucks because the infrastructure for cars sucks.  For decades they refused to expand their roads correctly because they were trying to “save” a salamander or frog or what ever small creature that was the latest cause of the month.

The DFW area gives you much more options on where to live with the values that you enjoy.  The traffic can suck in DFW but is sucks because of the distance.

This is also coming from someone who’s hometown is Austin and now lives in the DFW area,  At one time Austin was a very nice place to live.  It had a nice mix hippies and kickers that balanced each other.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Austin area is nice. I love the hill country. But the stupidity is spreading. Rapidly. I'd go west of DFW. Mostly like the hill country scenery wise but minus the crap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dallas has a much worse homeless problem than Austin; but it is confined to a particular area of Dallas and if you don’t live or work there, you’ll only see it as you drive past on the interstate.  In Austin, the homeless numbers are actually less but they are much more “free flowing.”  You’ll run into Austin homeless in nice suburbs outside of Austin.  They’ll be camped out next to million dollar homes.  And for whatever reason, Austin seems to draw more of the mentally ill in that crowd.

If you have a million dollar home in Dallas, homeless people will get fucked up if they camp there (Though how that happens may involve more money).

Central Texas (Austin) is best and prettiest Texas outdoors wise.  Dallas, on the other hand, is the retail capital of the U.S. almost. You want a store specializing in food from a tiny ethnic tribe in northwest Siberia?  Dallas will have that store and the American newspaper in that tribe’s language.  Whole Foods actually started in Austin.  There’s like one or two of them in the whole fucking city and it’s suburbs.  There are four Whole Foods within 15 minutes of me and I don’t even live in actual Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You might consider living someplace between Austin and San Antonio (e.g., San Marcos or New Braunfels) - That would give you opportunities to work in either area.

While Austin proper has some vagrancy (and parts of San Antonio have it, too), you wouldn't be living in it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate all the replies. I’ve never moved out of state before and I’ve only been to Texas once when I was 16 which was over 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I live near New Braunfels just east of San Antonio. We’re just over an hour from Austin. San Marcos is sort of the midway point and is a really nice area.

My wife is a real estate agent. She covers from San Antonio out to San Marcos/Kyle. If you’re interested in looking west of Austin shoot me a PM and I’ll send you her contact info.

ETA: We’ve made several cross-country moves and our last move was from CA. I know it can be stressful. My wife partnered with Conservative Move which is a group that helps and encourages conservatives to move to TX.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
DFW made us a GRAND living for thirty years but like any metro area the traffic and the daily grind will make you dream of leaving it all behind. I can't imagine how bad the traffic is now as we left ten years ago. Good luck.

I'd certainly look at the SW side of Ft. Worth as there is a new tollway that is probably the best commute in the area. Sanger would be the opposite side of the Metroplex.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DFW made us a GRAND living for thirty years but like any metro area the traffic and the daily grind will make you dream of leaving it all behind. I can't imagine how bad the traffic is now as we left ten years ago. Good luck.

I'd certainly look at the SW side of Ft. Worth as there is a new tollway that is probably the best commute in the area. Sanger would be the opposite side of the Metroplex.
View Quote

No doubt I’d like to get away from any city. I (poorly) chose a trade that ties me to cities.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might consider living someplace between Austin and San Antonio (e.g., San Marcos or New Braunfels) - That would give you opportunities to work in either area.

While Austin proper has some vagrancy (and parts of San Antonio have it, too), you wouldn't be living in it.
View Quote

I'd think this would be a good option to check out.  You could be a hour away from either in San Marcos / New Braunfels area - it would be more commute, but higher quality of life, plus it is beautiful & not in either "Blue City" with crime & crappy liberal policies (San Antonio is nearly as liberal crazy as Austin - but NO one beats Austin when it comes to being "California on the Colorado" (river).

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
North Texas (particularly the Sanger area) would be quite the culture shock for you (hopefully in a good way).   I suspect you'd be able to find an opening in Dallas/Fort Worth almost as easy as Austin.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve lived in the San Antonio area for almost 40 years.
In your industry you obviously need vertical structures, we have them but the downtown area is small in comparison to other cities.
Our layout is more horizontal.
I’d be happy to show you around though.
If you live in California you may be able to tolerate an IH-35 commute.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m looking to live within an hour drive to either city.
View Quote

That gives you an amazing radius for DFW.  An hour outside the big city is a big circle.  Weatherford, Granbury, Ennis, Greenville, even Sanger.  They're all within an hour of the big city with plenty of elevators to service (unless you specialize in high rise elevators or something?  Fort Worth only has 6 buildings over 30 floors, while Dallas has 35 towers that have 30 or more floors).

After getting out of the Marine Corps, I moved to North Texas after decades of living in North County (Esco, O'side).  For me, almost all of the culture shock was positive.  People are so friendly, but leave you alone if you want to be left alone.  Personal freedom (and responsibility) is respected and valued.  Not nearly as many commies here, although there are nests of 'em in the big cities.  It's great.  Especially if you're selling a home.  Jump on Zillow and see what you can get for the price your home is selling for.  You'll be amazed.  The house I paid $180,000 for would be worth, well, the closest thing I found on Zillow (it's smaller than my house and on a tiny lot) in SoCal is listed for $875,000.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Within an hour for an off peak travel time might well mean 1.5 hours or more in rush hour.  

Within an hour of the city, might mean 1.5 hours to the city center/downtown in Dallas.  

For reference, 26 miles from Down Town Houston often means 45 minutes travel time off peak, and a solid hour plus commute during peak times.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Within an hour for an off peak travel time might well mean 1.5 hours or more in rush hour.  

Within an hour of the city, might mean 1.5 hours to the city center/downtown in Dallas.  

For reference, 26 miles from Down Town Houston often means 45 minutes travel time off peak, and a solid hour plus commute during peak times.

View Quote

Very true.  As an example, I used to live in Granbury and work just outside downtown Dallas.  If I left my house at 5am, it would take me just over an hour to get to work (empty highways and driving a bit fast).  Leave a couple hours later, and it might take twice as long.  It would regularly take me 3 hours to get home in heavy traffic.

Regardless, being prepared for an hour commute opens up much of the metroplex and a LOT of rural areas!
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies and info. I talked to the the guy in charge of work out there and he said Dallas and Austin are both needing people to do my job. I’m looking forward to going out there in April to look around, check out traffic and different cities.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m a Dallas guy and have lived there since the 90s minus military service.  I’ll tell you this right now.  I’ve spent plenty of time in Dallas.  I’ve sat in bumper to bumper traffic on I45 in Conroe trying to get to Houston.

Austin has the worst damned traffic of any city in the nation.  Not only is it bottlenecked by the hills and rivers in a way that all the bigger Texas cities aren’t; but the drivers are the most retarded fucks I’ve ever seen.  I’m not sure if that is UT or what; but someone will absolutely try to pass you at 100mph on the right with 3” between your front bumper and his back, and then brake hard because every lane of traffic ahead is doing 55mph.

And God help you if it rains while you’re driving around that forsaken city.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd recommend Houston.  An hour east of IAH airport there are lots of new neighborhoods that are very affordable.
You can reach downtown, where the elevators are, in ~45 minutes.  
Cities such as Crosby, Huffman, Dayton, Cleveland, Tarkington, Mont Belvieu, etc. have opportunities for a more rural life but an easy commute to the H.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd recommend Houston.  An hour east of IAH airport there are lots of new neighborhoods that are very affordable.
Cities such as Crosby, Huffman, Dayton, Cleveland, Tarkington, Mont Belvieu, etc. have opportunities for a more rural life but an easy commute to the H.
View Quote

Make sure OP is able to handle the often unbearable humidity down there.  There's nothing down there that could convince me that living in that oppressive humidity is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Dallas would be my recommendation over Austin.

Austin wasn't too bad up until about 20 years ago.  The Silicon Valley influx and influence helped push its already Leftist roots over to full blown Commie.

As pointed out, there are a lot of great communities in the Dallas area.  JLA would be a great resource.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dallas would be my recommendation over Austin.

Austin wasn't too bad up until about 20 years ago.  The Silicon Valley influx and influence helped push its already Leftist roots over to full blown Commie.

As pointed out, there are a lot of great communities in the Dallas area.  JLA would be a great resource.

View Quote

Dallas is heading pretty far left, as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you stay out of Dallas County, you’re OK.  The 2018 elections just destroyed Dallas County.  The Dems already dominated the Dallas County elections,  2018 is when the hard left/commies installed all their people.  They actually led Austin in that respect.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you stay out of Dallas County, you’re OK.  The 2018 elections just destroyed Dallas County.  The Dems already dominated the Dallas County elections,  2018 is when the hard left/commies installed all their people.  They actually led Austin in that respect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the reasons why we looked in Rockwall County and Collin County.  The Missus found her "dream house" (LOL) in northern Collin County, so here we are.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't move here.  We have refugees from Mexico invading us as we speak.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a couple hours west of DFW, but I know that I'd much rather live in an hour radius of Dallas and driving into Dallas to work than ever having to stick my toes in Austin.

I think I could live outside of Austin, ie Cedar Park (capitol armory hq) Leander area, or south of Austin maybe Wimberly New Braunfels, but hell no on driving into Austin to work. Those areas would have your best Texas scenery though.

I don't know much about Houston liberal wise I'm sure it's not much less blue than Austin, but I'd look at Houston before Austin if DFW doesn't work out. I do know Houston has some nice commute communities. The main negative there though is smothering humidity with 100 heat on top.

Dallas though should be your first choice for your type career, and the commute communities I believe are pretty right wing if you can afford to live in them. I doubt though coming from CA you'd be too blown away by pricing any Frisco area real estate, but by Texas standards it's in pretty high demand/high price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Sanger. Near Ray Bob, I35 runs through it. Several ranges close by to shoot. Bacon sammiches at Snap Shop.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Make sure OP is able to handle the often unbearable humidity down there.  There's nothing down there that could convince me that living in that oppressive humidity is worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could deal with humidity but my company doesn’t have as much work there so Houston isn’t on my list.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m a Dallas guy and have lived there since the 90s minus military service.  I’ll tell you this right now.  I’ve spent plenty of time in Dallas.  I’ve sat in bumper to bumper traffic on I45 in Conroe trying to get to Houston.

Austin has the worst damned traffic of any city in the nation.  Not only is it bottlenecked by the hills and rivers in a way that all the bigger Texas cities aren’t; but the drivers are the most retarded fucks I’ve ever seen.  I’m not sure if that is UT or what; but someone will absolutely try to pass you at 100mph on the right with 3” between your front bumper and his back, and then brake hard because every lane of traffic ahead is doing 55mph.

And God help you if it rains while you’re driving around that forsaken city.
View Quote

My wife’s family feels the same about Austin. It’s looking more and more like Dallas and surrounding areas is the place. I still want to check it out because I’ve never lived outside of San Diego. I hate the politics here and shitty gun laws but I’ll be leaving my family and familiarity behind. My wife is ready to go right now.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't move here.  We have refugees from Mexico invading us as we speak.
View Quote

That’s actually a thought I have. I’m trying to convince my wife that we should consider Idaho as well, but I haven’t checked into work up that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top