Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 3:08:44 PM EDT
We currently live in the suburbs of the Twin Cities but are looking at a move to a semi rural area in an interior western state within the next 2-4 years. Political climate here is blue and changing to deep blue. Outstate is red to deep red but the Twin Cities and Duluth control the show. I just don't see us living here all that much longer which sucks because I split time between here and rural western WI in my younger years and my wife is from northern MN so this region's the natural choice for a place to live. The politics (namely gun control, taxes and general nanny state BS) will force us out eventually because I refuse to give up and/or register semi autos and NFA items (Not meaning to toot my own horn but I'm quite well represented on NFA items among gun owners in the state, according to my Class III LGS...who knows if that's true but I would say I have an above average number of stamps). I'm sure registration or outright bans are coming for this state. They already tried it with a "test bill" last year that failed in committee but the state went more blue with this election...Keith Ellison, enough said.

We're late 30's/early 40's and most would say we're very conservative with one young child (girl). We will most definitely NOT be importing any big gov't progressive/NIMBY/crazy liberal wackadoo ideas to help screw up a good thing. We just want to live our lives in peace on a small acreage outside of town and not be overly bothered by the BS we're steeped in every day here in la-la land.

Ok all that said, the Black Hills area is very intriguing to both of us for a number of reasons. It's still within a (long) day's drive or a short flight to those we leave behind in MN (family is important), according to the USDA's info most of it has a decent growing climate for gardening/fruit trees (important to the wife), the views can be stunning (also important to the wife), endless opportunities for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, hunting (mostly important to me but the wife will camp/hike occasionally), Rapid is a decent sized regional city with good access to stores, etc. Snow and cold do not bother us; we actually prefer four seasons. Weather and average precip appear roughly the same as where we're coming from, although the region is considered arid compared to the middle of MN. I own a small business that can transfer wherever and the wife is accomplished in her field with a few companies in Rapid she could get a job with if we get lucky on the timing.

It just sounds like a good fit for us looking at it from 20,000 feet. Over the past weeks I've been doing all sorts of research about the area from homes w/acreage to gun laws to what stores and restaurants are around the area to crime stats and a hundred other things. It looks like a good fit, although the property and assault crimes seem high for whatever reason.

We haven't made it out that way for the past decade or so and I'm wondering about general insights for the Black Hills area, what you like about it, what you don't like, areas that are better or worse than one another and anything else you can offer for insights.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of good info in this thread. If you want specifics on anything, let me know. I live in Rapid.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Thinking-of-moving-to-South-Dakota-HUGE-gun-guy-need-some-advice-/40-629252/
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The Black Hills is absolutely beautiful. We're planning on moving out there after I retire in a few years.

You are right (at least in my opinion) about Rapid having a high property and personal crime rate for a city its size. There are a lot of smaller communities in the Hills that might be a better choice, not to mention all of the land available if you have the money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Black Hills is absolutely beautiful. We're planning on moving out there after I retire in a few years.

You are right (at least in my opinion) about Rapid having a high property and personal crime rate for a city its size. There are a lot of smaller communities in the Hills that might be a better choice, not to mention all of the land available if you have the money.
View Quote
Give you one guess why......
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some of us don't know, which is the point of the thread Care to share?

IM is fine if you don't want to state it publicly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I don't have to guess. I know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some of us don't know, which is the point of the thread Care to share?

IM is fine if you don't want to state it publicly.
View Quote
Feather not dot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, as a born and raised former resident of MN, I can tell you that relocating to SD could be one of the best decisions you'll ever make.  I moved here 16 years ago from western MN.
I like the hills, but personally, could never live there.  I'm just not a fan of the type of work ethic I see on jobsites when I'm out there for work.  It's like everbody is slightly under the influence of weed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, I don't have to guess. I know.
View Quote
late to the game... but I would point out that parts of Rapid City are fine. Other parts bring the average crime rate up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
late to the game... but I would point out that parts of Rapid City are fine. Other parts bring the average crime rate up.
View Quote
Better late than never. What parts are good? Bad? What areas around Rapid are better than others?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Better late than never. What parts are good? Bad? What areas around Rapid are better than others?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
South and west are better, east is ok, north is not generally speaking.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
There are some stunningly beautiful lots and a few homes available in the development my parents retired to in the Nemo area, far enough out for the riff raff to keep away but close enough that its only a 10-15 min drive into the heart of Rapid.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are some stunningly beautiful lots and a few homes available in the development my parents retired to in the Nemo area, far enough out for the riff raff to keep away but close enough that its only a 10-15 min drive into the heart of Rapid.
View Quote
Been out there a few times, there's some awesomely beautiful ATV trails out in that Nemo/Mystic/Custer Peak area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I moved out to Rapid about 2 years ago. Hard to go back east after you live here.

Lots of jobs and a booming economy. I think we just hit 76k in rapid.

Houses are pretty inflated right now and surplus is very low.

Summertime gets busy but still beats the metro. Fall and spring are awesome with little traffic.

I haven’t found a downside yet
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish I could convince the wife to move out to RC.  I hate SF.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I am also relocating to SD,
from WA, in a few years.
Washington being destroyed.
Don't worry.
I'm Ultra Conservative, Veteran, etc...
Moving to Watertown,
Kids, Grandkids are there.
Easy choice...
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I moved out to Rapid about 2 years ago. Hard to go back east after you live here.

Lots of jobs and a booming economy. I think we just hit 76k in rapid.

Houses are pretty inflated right now and surplus is very low.

Summertime gets busy but still beats the metro. Fall and spring are awesome with little traffic.

I haven’t found a downside yet
View Quote
And there it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top