Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2019 6:19:23 PM EDT
Say a guy is tired of schlepping up to Pawnee and wants to do some shooting. What are the options?

Preferrably not from a bench, with a pit where I can move and shoot and run drills.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What side of town are you on?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs, Pueblo???
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, I probably should’ve added that info.

I’m in Broomfield.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Pawnee is probly gonna be your best bet. The moutains are to crowded now. Maybe look in to a local gun club that has tatical bays.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pawnee is probly gonna be your best bet. The moutains are to crowded now. Maybe look in to a local gun club that has tatical bays.
View Quote
Got any leads on local clubs with tactical bays? Problem that I'm running into is no one has them or the waitlist is on the order of years.

More and more it's feeling like I might just need to open my own damn range.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Got any leads on local clubs with tactical bays? Problem that I'm running into is no one has them or the waitlist is on the order of years.

View Quote
You do that and I got dibs on membership numero uno.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
4-5 million and your good to go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great Guns in Nunn has tactical bays, but not sure of the access/rules
View Quote
They have two 25yd bays, can pretty much do whatever you want in the bays as long as you're not being a complete retard.  That's the only place where steel is OK at Great Guns unless you manage to get special permission (typically that only happens for classes on any of their other ranges).  They have stands for paper targets in them and each bay has a table for all your range items.  They are reservable too, but I don't know the details about that.  You would have to call and ask them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Nunn. I’ll  check it out - thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Colorado Clays (Brighton) and the Summit County Range (Keystone) but just bays, no shoot and move.

I did find the following Boy Scout Range down in Pike NF:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boy+Scout+Shooting+Range/@39.3225116,-105.264483,15z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x876b6654cce61155:0xd883c257412ab248!2sOsprey+Campground!8m2!3d39.3492588!4d-105.1765615!3m4!1s0x876b69542ea7109f:0x366d22fdb2aef989!8m2!3d39.3299635!4d-105.2494231

It's small and full of trash, which pissed me off (carted off a trunk load), but probably 50 meters to manuever in. I went on a Saturday morning last month and nobody was there which was great.

I'd love to go with a group someday and shoot and help clean up the place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Gateway error
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.wcfw.org

I don't know about the wait. I joined 8 years ago and the wait was a few months.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd love to go with a group someday and shoot and help clean up the place.
View Quote
Let's get a HTF event together and do it!

We as shooters need to take more responsibility for our trash and clean out these ranges. Otherwise we'll end up with more Lefthand Canyons and fewer Pawnees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Lothbrok, you should go to Ben Lomond Gun Club, they might have something for you.  It's SE of Denver, you're NW, but you might find it interesting:

https://www.blgc.org/

Drive down to Dragon Man's sometime, E of the Springs off Hwy 94.  Everybody should visit Dragon Man's at least once.  

https://www.dragonmans.com/
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lothbrok, you should go to Ben Lomond Gun Club, they might have something for you.  It's SE of Denver, you're NW, but you might find it interesting:

Drive down to Dragon Man's sometime, E of the Springs off Hwy 94.  Everybody should visit Dragon Man's at least once.  

View Quote
Eh, Dragon Man's is like the wal-mart of shooting ranges... clientele notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Eh, Dragon Man's is like the wal-mart of shooting ranges... clientele notwithstanding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL  It can be that... which is why I said "at least once".    Dragon's military museum is worth a visit all by itself.  See the website for details.  I was wondering, I haven't heard anything about the full auto shoot this year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Let's get a HTF event together and do it!

We as shooters need to take more responsibility for our trash and clean out these ranges. Otherwise we'll end up with more Lefthand Canyons and fewer Pawnees.
View Quote
I'm up for it. Saturday mornings work for me most weekends and if pressed, I'll take off work early some day during the week.

28th or 5th are good probably.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL  It can be that... which is why I said "at least once".    Dragon's military museum is worth a visit all by itself.  See the website for details.  I was wondering, I haven't heard anything about the full auto shoot this year.
View Quote
I did understand the , just wanted to make sure OP knew what he was in store for.

...that, and I don't care much for Dragonman after he negligently cut his wife in half.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I did understand the , just wanted to make sure OP knew what he was in store for.

...that, and I don't care much for Dragonman after he negligently cut his wife in half.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's harsh--Mel did not "cut his wife in half".  She was struck and killed by sketchy pyrotechnics while they were filming the end of the show.  Some say the pyros were supplied by the show's producers, some say they were made by Mel's brother.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Eh, @daemon734 knows better than I do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's harsh--Mel did not "cut his wife in half".  She was struck and killed by sketchy pyrotechnics while they were filming the end of the show.  Some say the pyros were supplied by the show's producers, some say they were made by Mel's brother.
View Quote
Well, as somebody who is very familiar with the event and everything following I would say he negligently disemboweled his wife with a homemade smoke rocket of illegal size that his brother manufactured on his property with his knowledge.  They severely burned someone something like 3 days earlier doing similar antics so the entire pass the buck bit on their part is a bit nonsense.  Also saying that Mel was responsible for killing his wife isn't a severe stretch of the imagination.

Mel was a severe douche way before this happened, i'm not sure how anyone can justify his reputation remaining intact afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Dragon man discussion not withstanding what are the recommended ranges for south metro area? I am in centennial and have been on a severe lack of shooting recently.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dragon man discussion not withstanding what are the recommended ranges for south metro area? I am in centennial and have been on a severe lack of shooting recently.
View Quote
Ramah will be your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, as somebody who is very familiar with the event and everything following I would say he negligently disemboweled his wife with a homemade smoke rocket of illegal size that his brother manufactured on his property with his knowledge.  They severely burned someone something like 3 days earlier doing similar antics so the entire pass the buck bit on their part is a bit nonsense.  Also saying that Mel was responsible for killing his wife isn't a severe stretch of the imagination.

Mel was a severe douche way before this happened, i'm not sure how anyone can justify his reputation remaining intact afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mel had appeared on other shows of the time, including Larry the Cable Guy paying a visit.  They had some really sketchy pyros then too, made by Mel's brother.  Shit was flying all over the place, unguided (misguided) rockets, etc.  I haven't had the heart to go back out there since the incident, frankly.  Accusing Mel of complicity in his wife's death is harsh, though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mel had appeared on other shows of the time, including Larry the Cable Guy paying a visit.  They had some really sketchy pyros then too, made by Mel's brother.  Shit was flying all over the place, unguided (misguided) rockets, etc.  I haven't had the heart to go back out there since the incident, frankly.  Accusing Mel of complicity in his wife's death is harsh, though.
View Quote
It wasn't an act of God. They chose to do something that had already gone wrong and hurt people, and he put his daughter and wife in the middle of it chasing money and fame.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, way off topic here boys.

If there's a HTF meetup, count me in. I'll even help with the range restoration if we want to tackle that and maybe bring a couple friends.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, way off topic here boys.

If there's a HTF meetup, count me in. I'll even help with the range restoration if we want to tackle that and maybe bring a couple friends.
View Quote
I'm up. I can still come out this Saturday or the following (Oct 5th) or a weekday will work if I get enough advanced warning. I would bring some kids for slave labor, trash bags and tools for clean up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Did the range in Idaho springs close?   That used to be a good pistol range.

I looked it up, looks like the clear creek county sportsman club will be hard to get into unless you live in Clear creek county.  Too bad, but it would be overwhelmed unless they had some limits on membership.

https://cccsclub.com/membership
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Can someone direct me to a rifle range open to the public? I’m in the front range and I am on the waitlist for at least one. I can drive if needed, but would like to avoid more than an hour.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can someone direct me to a rifle range open to the public? I’m in the front range and I am on the waitlist for at least one. I can drive if needed, but would like to avoid more than an hour.
View Quote
That Como range I posted about is probably not a bad drive if you are the west side.   But it has been 30 years since I lived on the front range, so what used to be an hour is now prolly two.

Possibly snowed in most of the winter too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That Como range I posted about is probably not a bad drive if you are the west side.   But it has been 30 years since I lived on the front range, so what used to be an hour is now prolly two.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one? The clear creek range?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nunn Guns is nice up near Pawnee. If you’re not in the north metro it’ll be over an hour, though.

Colorado Clays has a couple rifle lanes too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well the clear creek club is closer but they have a wait list

This one.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Found-another-new-range-Como/20-638068/
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one.
Thanks for posting, that is definitely doable. It does not seem to be on google maps. You just went over to 15 off 285 for a mile and it’s there?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
It is nearly right across from the como turnoff on 285, about a mile in on the right.

I doubt those rifle lines are done this year.  Looked like they were getting ready to pour concrete for the bench area when I was there for second elk.

Somebody spent a lot of $ on this place for sure.  It’ll be really nice at some point. And they are gonna have to gate it at some point, it must be unsupervised seeing the vandalism and empty beer cans.

There is actually a small building that looks like a range office.

This is the turn to the range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting, thanks for the details. I’ll do some research and check it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nunn Guns is nice up near Pawnee. If you’re not in the north metro it’ll be over an hour, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man, I may have to run up there despite the drive. I looked over CCs range and they only have a 100 yard range. I need something longer to test my upcoming build.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#40]
There's always the Chaffee County range
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I still need to make my way out there and bug you just because.....
Although, since my best friend is now a Park County Deputy....hes closer to bug
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I still need to make my way out there and bug you just because.....
Although, since my best friend is now a Park County Deputy....hes closer to bug
View Quote
I'm still on the western slope. It's just a badass range lol
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let's do a meetup after ice season, I'm pretty busy through then.

Maybe late April-early May
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Let's do a meetup after ice season, I'm pretty busy through then.

Maybe late April-early May
View Quote
I'd be down
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#45]
The waitlist can be really long at some clubs but I've yet to encounter any waitlist that cost to be on.  I had to wait 11 years for membership at one place I shoot but it didn't cost a penny to be on that list.

Find somewhere to shoot in the meantime but go ahead and be on a few waitlists if there's somewhere closer you want to shoot.  The slot will eventually open up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I would go help clean up that mess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top