Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2023 2:05:53 PM EDT
I'm looking at a job in South Chesterfield. Would be relocating from WI.
Pros: More money, better weather, closer to family and the beach.
Cons: More people, higher crime, ?

It's hard to shop for housing when you're not in the area.
Zillow and other websites only show the good side of places, not what the neighborhoods are like.
Any suggestions for areas to avoid?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Its really not bad. I lived in IL (Chicago area) before joining the army. I have been in VA for the past 6 years. Taxes are lower. weather is very different compared to the midwest.  I live about 45 mins south of Richmond. Depending on how far your willing to go, you can get a lot of land for your money.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I love south Chesterfield.  In terms of crime, avoid Richmond and Petersburg.  I'd try to live somewhere south of 288 and west of I-95.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
depends on what you mean by South Chesterfield,

I live in Beach Va,  which is basically an intersection in the middle of the county ,  

Jeff Davis corridor is generally not great,  with exceptions,  

VSU area is ok,  if you stay north and west from it,

P'burg has some great places to eat and get a beverage,  but don't recommend it for living,

Colonial Heights can be dicey,  in sections,  (my Sis in Law lives on Lafayette Pt ,  )

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't locked into S. Chesterfield, take a look at Prince George County and Dinwiddie County.  You can get more land and house for your money in both counties and still be in a short commute to Chesterfield and not even a long commute to Richmond.  If you have school aged kids, Chesterfield schools are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Look around the Pocahontas State park area.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Shot you an e-mail.

There's plenty of land west of S. Chesterfield. If that's what you are looking for. Midlothian also has good schools and plenty of amenities.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips.

We're going to be in the area 6/8,9,10 to visit the plant and have a look around the area.
Fixin' to spend at least one night over at VA Beach to let my kiddo dip her toes in the ocean.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Another option, if you're willing to commute some, would be Quinton -> New Kent -> Toano.  All nice areas.  On the east side of Richmond.  Closer to the beach :-).

If you do move to the southwest area outside Richmond, just try to get more rural and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips.

We're going to be in the area 6/8,9,10 to visit the plant and have a look around the area.
Fixin' to spend at least one night over at VA Beach to let my kiddo dip her toes in the ocean.
View Quote

VA Beach can be a PITA just FYI.  Prepare for crazy traffic and backups/delays crossing the bridge tunnel.  VA Beach is extremely built up/commercialized and hotels are expensive, parking can be a challenge, etc.  It's not horrible, just very congested and better for 20 year olds than retired folks if that makes sense.  Most families go to the Outer Banks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If you just want a "beachy" feel, try the beach at Yorktown.  Good family atmosphere and a whole lot easier to get to.  Or you could try some of the little beaches in Mathews County (Bethel, Bavon and Haven) on the Chesapeake Bay.  Nice beaches and the water is very kid friendly.  Just keep in mind there are NO amenities at the beaches in Mathews.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
CityData.com gives housing, crime data, etc.  There are also locale-specific forums where people chat about the questions that you are asking.  

Here's the link to Chesterfield sites there to get you started.

I lived in the region for a brief period nearly 50 years ago, and am closer to Charlottesville now, so I won't be of much help.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look around the Pocahontas State park area.
View Quote

This is my recommendation also. Depending on what you are looking for - suburban subdivision with new/newish construction, older subdivision with 2+ acre lots and no HOA, stand alone house on a larger lot - you'll find options for all of those in the area between the neighborhoods right off 360 and going south to River Road.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is my recommendation also. Depending on what you are looking for - suburban subdivision with new/newish construction, older subdivision with 2+ acre lots and no HOA, stand alone house on a larger lot - you'll find options for all of those in the area between the neighborhoods right off 360 and going south to River Road.
View Quote

and south/east off 360 to Qualla,  

it is a big park,   bordered basically by Qualla, Courthouse Rd,   split by Beach Road,  and partly by Woodpecker,

they are preparing a new Nash Rd Extension,  that will eventually hit Rt 10 (Iron Bridge )  just south/east of the Courthouse/Sheriffs office,  and was told once that is open, Beach will be closed in a near section when the bridge over Swift Creek is removed (not to be replaced)
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love south Chesterfield.  In terms of crime, avoid Richmond and Petersburg.  I'd try to live somewhere south of 288 and west of I-95.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.
View Quote

We've been living in Chesterfield County since 1985.  South of Rt. 288 (by a couple miles) and west of I95 (by about 7 or 8 miles).

Never had a break-in or attempted break-in.  House, car, garage, sheds, etc.

The last crimes I remember right around the houses on this road were years ago.  Someone broke into the house at the end of the road and stole TVs, VCRs, etc.  That was 12 or 15 years ago.  Not long after we moved in a couple of the boys from down the road "stole" a couple bicycles from the kids a couple houses down from us.

I heard from others, that the guy a couple houses down the road from us took some shots at his brother-in-law one weekend a couple/three years ago (to convince him selling drugs was at his house was a bad idea - brother-in-law didn't come back) but we weren't around that weekend.  The home owner didn't get put in jail over it, for whatever reason.

You can probably find crime statistics on the internet for the counties/towns in the area.

Oh, in Chesterfield County it costs about $35 for a concealed carry permit.  Used to be $50 for a 5 year license, the local Police Chief asked the price to be reduced  because he says he believes more people need to have their license so they can carry and protect themselves if they feel the need.

Lots of county parks, a state park, rivers, lakes, etc. for fishing, walking, bike riding, etc.

Fall and spring are great.  Winters can have some snow/ice every now and then.  Summer heat/humidity pretty much sucks for air.

You live up north?  How do you like your cars/trucks rusting out from the salty winter roads?  My 86 IROC Z28 looks pretty much new under the car.  Spots where they didn't get paint on the primer at the factory are still just gray primer.

Good luck on your move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
they are preparing a new Nash Rd Extension,  that will eventually hit Rt 10 (Iron Bridge )  just south/east of the Courthouse/Sheriffs office,  and was told once that is open, Beach will be closed in a near section when the bridge over Swift Creek is removed (not to be replaced)
View Quote

Oh dang, is that what that road work was all about recently? I thought it was just utilities related to that teardown looking house.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh dang, is that what that road work was all about recently? I thought it was just utilities related to that teardown looking house.
View Quote

nope,

Nash as it currently is,  will extend to Iron Bridge, and Beach will no longer go past Swift Creek,
sucks, yes,

but progress etc,

my biggest complaint, as someone that lives just off beach, and has a shop a few miles off beach, is the traffic, related to new developments that the county\state did not do road improvements fast enough to accommodate the traffic

but since I know have a 3 mile or so commute,  I can deal with it
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We've been living in Chesterfield County since 1985.  South of Rt. 288 (by a couple miles) and west of I95 (by about 7 or 8 miles).

The last crimes I remember right around the houses on this road were years ago.  Someone broke into the house at the end of the road and stole TVs, VCRs, etc.  That was 12 or 15 years ago.  Not long after we moved in a couple of the boys from down the road "stole" a couple bicycles from the kids a couple houses down from us.

I heard from others, that the guy a couple houses down the road from us took some shots at his brother-in-law one weekend a couple/three years ago (to convince him selling drugs was at his house was a bad idea - brother-in-law didn't come back) but we weren't around that weekend.  The home owner didn't get put in jail over it, for whatever reason.

You can probably find crime statistics on the internet for the counties/towns in the area.

Oh, in Chesterfield County it costs about $35 for a concealed carry permit.  Used to be $50 for a 5 year license, the local Police Chief asked the price to be reduced  because he says he believes more people need to have their license so they can carry and protect themselves if they feel the need.

Lots of county parks, a state park, rivers, lakes, etc. for fishing, walking, bike riding, etc.

Fall and spring are great.  Winters can have some snow/ice every now and then.  Summer heat/humidity pretty much sucks for air.

You live up north?  How do you like your cars/trucks rusting out from the salty winter roads?  My 86 IROC Z28 looks pretty much new under the car.  Spots where they didn't get paint on the primer at the factory are still just gray primer.

Good luck on your move.
View Quote

well,  brining the roads is a thing,  and the brine is starting to eat up my 2000 Tundra,

be sure to wash your vehicle often, including the undercarriage , if you drive the main roads in the winter , even in chesterfield
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good luck on your move.
View Quote

if  the OP is a Mtn Biker,  the park is awesome,

if you fish, I can say,    fish on the off days,

john boat etc,  no gas motors allowed,  and on holidays the lake is full of people,  to the point it is hard to enjoy yourself fishing,

fishing is generally good,  Bass, Bream, Shell crackers, Crappy etc,  and a long and winding lake,

lots of lily pads,  some grass,  some deeper sections etc etc,  and clean water, so eat what you catch is not a problem

holidays,   last time I fished it,  it took 30 minutes to get the boat in the water, and then I had to park up past the pool, and it was miserable trying to fish the watet (lake is winding and narrow)  with all the kayaks etc, ,

not to mention the noise from the folks walking  and talking the trails around the lake,  

go on a weekday or non holiday,,   and it is much quieter,

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Avoid the area along I95 and the Chippenham Parkway. The vast majority of crime is along those two areas (bleed over from the city)  also I would also recommend staying west or south of Rt 288
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the replies.
After much back and forth, I'm not going to pursue the opportunity and will be staying in WI for now.
It's a terrible time, housing-wise, to move. My housing costs would increase by 80% and the pay difference isn't going to cover that.
Add in commute time and costs (I currently work from home) and any positives of the new position are quickly erased.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

well,  brining the roads is a thing,  and the brine is starting to eat up my 2000 Tundra,

be sure to wash your vehicle often, including the undercarriage , if you drive the main roads in the winter , even in chesterfield
View Quote

I lived in Chesterfield for forty years...........I always went to Florida to buy my vehicles.........bought 3 trucks there...........there are a lot of rust buckets running around.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Housing prices in Chesterfield are ridiculously high............150k houses are now 300k and it is getting worse...............
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Housing prices in Chesterfield are ridiculously high............150k houses are now 300k and it is getting worse...............
View Quote

Its not just Chesterfield.  The whole metro Richmond area has gone insane with home prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top