Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 11:41:52 PM EDT
I really enjoy snorkeling and have noticed lots of lionfish around reefs. I want to help reduce their numbers with a hand spear. What do you suggest? Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I can’t help with a recommendation. Just curious where you are seeing the lion fish?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
All over in the Caribbean and gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on ya. Those suckers are devastating reefs and unless someone figures out a sciencey solution, it just takes constant culling. Half length hand spears work well because you can easily get them.off into a bucket with a small semi flexible opening that you can make with duct tape or other material.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are up for it, you might try posting this in GD or in the SCUBA sub forum under the General group for more input.  May find more people into spear fishing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well it's been 30 years, so I'm a little out of the game. But back when I lived in the Florida Keys, I did some spearfishing.  We were free diving, and using "regular" spearguns for grouper, hog snapper, and such.   For lion fish, I would guess something like a small  pole spear, or maybe a Hawaiian sling would work well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are up for it, you might try posting this in GD or in the SCUBA sub forum under the General group for more input.  May find more people into spear fishing.
View Quote
I may do that but I think I have my mind made up. I am going to go with a 28 inch pole spear. Can't beat the price for $30.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good on ya. Those suckers are devastating reefs and unless someone figures out a sciencey solution, it just takes constant culling. Half length hand spears work well because you can easily get them.off into a bucket with a small semi flexible opening that you can make with duct tape or other material.
View Quote
Yep. It's a shame to see reefs getting devastated by these things. I can't wait to get after them.  I'm going to try and cook them also, I hear they are tasty.. I think I'm going with a 28" pole spear. Easy to swim with and inexpensive. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
all you need is a maui sling or a little JBL, after we would get our limit of lobster we'd go after lion fish.  always a good time!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

just be careful removing them

-T
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Try these guys.  They have several different styles and they are good quality. Cannot beat the price.

harpoons
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top