Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 9:05:21 PM EDT
Several years ago while living in another state I purchased a couple of AR 15’s from a dealer... I just moved to MA and got my LTC-A. Didn’t think my ar’s could be in the state, but was told by a MA gun shop yesterday that they could be legally brought in since they were legally purchased prior to moving to MA... He was emphatic about it. Agree?

Confusing to me
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Per MGL as long as they meet the MA AWB (evil features) they are legal to possess in Mass.

The AG BS is just that (IMNSHO but IANAL) and not something I lose any sleep over. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you can register them via eFA-10.  As long as they are in a ban compliant configuration.
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to read up on what ban compliant is exactly... Some may
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
State level version of 1994 AWB.

As an aside - GOAL.org has loads of great, clear, MA specific info.  You'll be back there a few times.

briefly, a semi auto rifle which can accept a detachable magazine may only have one additional feature from this list

pistol grip
bayonet lug
grenade launcher
threaded muzzle to accept a flash hider or a flash hider [pin a muzzle brake / thread protector to comply]
collapsible / folding stock

http://goal.org/masslawpages/firearmsinfo.html

http://goal.org/masslawpages/newresidentinfo.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the info you need on what MGL calls an illegal to possess "assault weapon" and large capacity mags. Anything made on/before 9/13/1994 is grandfathered regardless of these "evil" features.]

Federal Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Feeding Device Law as it existed prior to September 13, 2004
18 U.S.C.A.  921 This Federal law was repealed on September 13, 2004

921. Definitions
"The term 'semiautomatic assault weapon' means
(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine."

The term 'large capacity ammunition feeding device'
(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; but (B) does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Gents
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI - there is no requirement to "register" any of your previously-owned firearms when moving into MA since there has been no transfer (they were already yours).
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI - there is no requirement to "register" any of your previously-owned firearms when moving into MA since there has been no transfer (they were already yours).
View Quote
That is not the reason, but you are correct that nobody moving into MA WITH THEIR GUNS has to register them. If you move in, get your LTC and then bring the guns in, you must register them per MGL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top