Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2018 6:19:11 PM EDT
I took my son to Hunter's Ed training today and the local Conservation Officer stated that hunting with suppressors is illegal in NH.  I thought that former governor Maggie Hassan signed "Hunting with Suppressors" bill into law back in June 2016.  Did something happen since then to put a hold on that?  The 2017 NH Hunter's Digest does not mention suppressors and I don't have a copy of the 2018 Digest yet.

Can anyone point me to a better source than 2-year old news articles?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It is legal. Sad that the guy that would enforce the law does not know it. And you know he would charge you and seize your gear.

https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2016/6/24/suppressors-now-legal-in-nh-and-vt/
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I took my son to Hunter's Ed training today and the local Conservation Officer stated that hunting with suppressors is illegal in NH.  I thought that former governor Maggie Hassan signed "Hunting with Suppressors" bill into law back in June 2016.  Did something happen since then to put a hold on that?  The 2017 NH Hunter's Digest does not mention suppressors and I don't have a copy of the 2018 Digest yet.

Can anyone point me to a better source than 2-year old news articles?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
That guy needs to be alerted that he is giving bad information.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It's getting really old really fast the amount of LEO's who don't know jack shit about the laws they are sworn to enforce. RSA 207:4 "silencing devices" was repealed in 2016.

207:4 Silencing Devices. – Repealed 2016, 234:2, I, eff. June 10, 2016.

Another common fun & games misinformation tidbit is that you can't have more than a 5 rd magazine in any semi automatic rifle. That is incorrect, you cannot have more than 5 rds in any size/capacity magazine (+1 in the chamber making 6 rds total) and .22 rimfire is excluded.

207:3 Lawful Methods of Taking. –
I. Wildlife shall be taken in the daytime between 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset with a gun fired at arm's length or bow and arrow, unless otherwise specifically permitted.
II. A full automatic rifle shall not be used at any time nor shall a semi-automatic rifle be used to which is attached a magazine or clip holding more than 5 cartridges, nor shall a full jacketed metal case bullet be used, either in its original form or any alteration thereof.
III. Paragraph II shall not apply to the use of .22 or smaller caliber rimfire firearms.
IV. A person may take wildlife during the open season therefor with the aid of a dog, unless otherwise specifically prohibited.
Source. 1935, 124:1. RL 241:3. 1945, 146:1. RSA 207:3. 1977, 247:2. 2006, 19:1, eff. May 22, 2006.

When asking LEO's about any law ask them for specific RSA numbers. Odds are they won't be able to tell you them.

NH fun & games are some of the biggest clowns going and their gestapo mentality is the main reason I haven't hunted or fished in years. Not to mention the price of licenses now. They seriously need to be disbanded.

If you have any RSA questions there are link in the "important threads" section above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top