Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2023 4:33:17 PM EDT
Mainly for curiosity as everyone does it and I will too.

Situation.  45HP CUT, 30MPH town owned road, and only going 500' to my side gate many, many times back and forth.

RSA 265:160

"265:160 Utility Vehicles and Compact Utility Tractors; Operation on Ways Restricted. – No person shall operate a utility vehicle, including an agricultural/industrial utility vehicle as defined in RSA 259:2-a, a compact utility tractor, as defined in RSA 259:13-a, or an off highway recreational vehicle as defined in RSA 259:69, except on a way where the posted speed limit is 40 miles per hour or less or, in the case of compact utility tractor, 35 miles per hour or less, and the route or crossing being used is open to such vehicles and at such times and under any other special operating conditions established by the government authority having control of the way. Any person operating or in actual physical control of such a vehicle upon a way shall hold a valid driver's license."

That says it's legal.

Double checking the definition of CUT in RSA 259:13-a

"    259:13-a Compact Utility Tractor. – "Compact utility tractor" shall mean any self-propelled 4-wheel vehicle utilizing diesel fuel, with a rated horsepower not to exceed 28 horsepower, that is capable of carrying not more than one occupant, is equipped by the manufacturer with at least one PTO (power take-off) in addition to any PTO installed for the purpose of an under-tractor mower deck, and has no provision for carrying a load other than attached implements such as snowplows, tool boxes, or bucket loaders."

Well poop, there is a 28 HP limit.

A 45 HP tractor isn't an agricultural/industrial utility vehicle under RSA 259:2-a as that specifically excludes tractors.

So what's the deal besides just do it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:00:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: obewan] [#1]
Here are some more questions:

Does that vehicle have to have license plates? Or is this without plates.

I know for sure that a OHRV can only be operated on roads that are specifically posted as open to them but once it has been registered and has plates it is subject only to the restrictions as mentioned above and may operate on any road with a speed limit less than 40 mph.   Is this the same for a compact tractor?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By obewan:

I know for sure that a OHRV can only be operated on roads that are specifically posted as open to them but once it has been registered and has plates it is subject only to the restrictions as mentioned above and may operate on any road with a speed limit less than 40 mph.   Is this the same for a compact tractor?
View Quote

It does not have plates as covered by 261:41-a and won't as it is not an ag/industrial vehicle.  Also does not meet the pleasure or recreational purpose of an OHRV under 215-A:1 or 259:69.

OHRV rules are pretty well covered under the F&G statutes and towns opening up roads to them.

Seems an amusing oversight altogether for mid sized compact tractors.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By obewan:

View Quote

I'll chime in on the OHRV laws, state-maintained roads that are "shared use," are open until 10/31 then open back up after mud season (mid may).....I believe the limit for OHRV's on shared roads is 40 MPH, despite speed limit postings of 55/50....not that the 40 MPH thing is observed at all.

Town roads are up to whatever the town want's to do. For instance Berlin the roads don't close for OHRV's until mud-season(so they only really close for about 1.5 months).

We do not have plates for OHRV's, just registration stickers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
In your town I would recommend that you just do it as politely as possible and "aw shucks" whatever Trooper you might have the off chance of seeing.

Just don't hit a car.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 5:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#5]

That's about what I've been doing today since it got delivered last night.

Love this thing.  Cleaned some giant logs and stumps out of the side yard and started shuffling wood around with the grapple.

Then of course the third function decided to quit on the open function.  So it will likely go back to the dealer tomorrow.  Feels electrical, not even making the solenoid click.  Hope they have the parts.

ETA:  yep, just a relay.  Sounded like it had water in it.  Dealer's son fixed it in my yard, gave me a spare relay just for the heck of it, and I spent the whole day playing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top