Quoted:
What documentation do you carry?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

major snip

Personally, I carry documentation with me in the woods when I'm hunting with my 6.5 Grendel pistols, it may not make a difference but having documention certainly won't hurt my case either.
What documentation do you carry?
I keep a copy of the ATF letter for my brace, a copy of the state statute defining a “pistol”, and a copy of the ATF “open letter” concerning shouldering a brace. All of these are printed 2-up, back to back, and folded up in the storage are of my MOE grip.

I read though parts of this thread again and it’s laughable that anybody is giving any sort of direction on what technique must be used when firing a “handgun” while deer hunting. That idea is absurd, often times, the hunting situation at hand will dictate how the shot is made and the shot should always be taken in the safest and most ethical means available. If that means using a rest, bipod, or even stabilizing your pistol against a tree or even (gasp) utilizing a cheek weld to obtain an adequate site picture, so be it.

Another thing that I mentioned on my aforementioned phone call was how much more enjoyable the availability of these new pistols has made hunting for my kids. Shotguns with slugs are long, heavy, punishing firearms, especially in the hands of a 10 year-old (who are legally able under the apprenticeship program). On the contrary, I took my 8 year-old with major congenital cardiac defects hunting in TX a couple of years ago. At 6 years of age he was able to carry and hunt with an 11” 6.5 Grendel pistol without issue. He ended up harvesting a Ram and had a great time. He would have never been able to pack a traditional hunting rifle, even a youth model, by himself nearly as easily. Another benefit of the Grendel for him is that he could shoot it all day long without the fear of developing a flinch. The same example holds true for my then 10 year-old son who deer hunted with the same pistol. My boys are now addicted to hunting of any type. On the contrary, these guns weren’t available when my daughter started hunting and instead of a little Grendel she started with a 20ga youth model slug gun. It was more than she could comfortly carry and literally painful for her to shoot (even with reduced recoil loads). She still enjoys hunting but we’re still working on that flinch, a flinch that yet to develop in either of my boys (despite them getting started at a younger age). This isn’t just good for the kids but the deer too. My boys have made excellent shots on every animal that they’ve taken, I’m very proud of them both. With the flinch, my daughter has struggled a little bit more. I really pushed this point with my RTO since his concentration is on youth hunter safety. This advancement in technology should really be looked at as an awesome opportunity for youth involvement. Sadly, our DNR appears to be coming at this from the exact opposite viewpoint.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who sent you that, was it Mitch? I sent a query myself (including to Mitch) and have only heard back from one of those that I contacted so far (not Mitch).

I had a very long discussion with my RTO this afternoon as well (I’m a Hunter Safety volunteer as well as an 07 FFL). I get the feeling that the DNR is not happy about these “new” pistols but they can’t do anything about it other than to discourage their use. They are obligated by state law to use the definition of a pistol as it is defined in statute. Thus, as long as it’s a legal pistol per statute, it’s permissible in the shotgun zone. I even clarified the <26” OAL misnomer by crafting a theoretical 96” OAL pistol with a barrel measuring 15.999” and, per state statute, it’s a pistol and thus legal for use. The DNR is simply unhappy about the new technology in pistols, specifically the new braces, many of the COs consider a brace to be a stock. As I mentioned to the RTO, just because it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, doesn’t mean it’s a duck. They know this and don’t like it. The RTO that I spoke with, and I’d wager this is true for many of the COs as well, was not aware of the current ATF position on shouldering a brace. He stated that if that is indeed the case, that is out of their hands as well. I also asked about the various comments concerning allowed aiming devices and shooting technique, his reply on those topics was that if it’s not addressed in statue and/or a federal opinion (ATF) then, once again, it’s out of their hands.

Long story short, adhere to MN state statute and federal laws and you’re good to go regardless of the COs personal opinion. This doesn’t mean that you won’t/can’t be cited and/or charged however. Just as not every LEO can know the intricate details about ever law, we can’t expect this from our COs either. Personally, I carry documentation with me in the woods when I’m hunting with my 6.5 Grendel pistols, it may not make a difference but having documention certainly won’t hurt my case either.

Personally, as long as the current laws remain unchanged, I will continue to hunt with my little Grendel’s. BTW, I also hunt zone 603.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the letter i received.

The above regulations have to be followed in order to hunt with a pistol/handgun in the shotgun/handgun zone. Most hunters seem to understand and understand the size restrictions, but some are not understanding the requirements of how to shoot a pistol/handgun in the shotgun zone. Hunters have to realize that if they are going to use an AR 15 pistol in the shotgun zone, they CAN’T shoulder it. An AR 15 pistol that has an arm brace is legal as long as the firearm is not shouldered. If a CO sees a hunter shoulder the firearm in any way, then the hunter could possibly get a citation. You also can’t have a rifle scope on the AR because a rifle scope has to be held close to the eye. Having a scope close to your eye means that the firearm has to be shouldered in order to be fired and this is illegal in the shotgun zone. You can have a scope, but it would have to be a pistol/handgun scope and the firearm would have to be fired with arms fully extended in front of you.
Who sent you that, was it Mitch? I sent a query myself (including to Mitch) and have only heard back from one of those that I contacted so far (not Mitch).

I had a very long discussion with my RTO this afternoon as well (I’m a Hunter Safety volunteer as well as an 07 FFL). I get the feeling that the DNR is not happy about these “new” pistols but they can’t do anything about it other than to discourage their use. They are obligated by state law to use the definition of a pistol as it is defined in statute. Thus, as long as it’s a legal pistol per statute, it’s permissible in the shotgun zone. I even clarified the <26” OAL misnomer by crafting a theoretical 96” OAL pistol with a barrel measuring 15.999” and, per state statute, it’s a pistol and thus legal for use. The DNR is simply unhappy about the new technology in pistols, specifically the new braces, many of the COs consider a brace to be a stock. As I mentioned to the RTO, just because it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, doesn’t mean it’s a duck. They know this and don’t like it. The RTO that I spoke with, and I’d wager this is true for many of the COs as well, was not aware of the current ATF position on shouldering a brace. He stated that if that is indeed the case, that is out of their hands as well. I also asked about the various comments concerning allowed aiming devices and shooting technique, his reply on those topics was that if it’s not addressed in statue and/or a federal opinion (ATF) then, once again, it’s out of their hands.

Long story short, adhere to MN state statute and federal laws and you’re good to go regardless of the COs personal opinion. This doesn’t mean that you won’t/can’t be cited and/or charged however. Just as not every LEO can know the intricate details about ever law, we can’t expect this from our COs either. Personally, I carry documentation with me in the woods when I’m hunting with my 6.5 Grendel pistols, it may not make a difference but having documention certainly won’t hurt my case either.

Personally, as long as the current laws remain unchanged, I will continue to hunt with my little Grendel’s. BTW, I also hunt zone 603.
Justin Badina, is who i have been in contact with.Mitch Boyum is our local CO,i have not talked to him yet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Justin Badina, is who i have been in contact with.Mitch Boyum is our local CO,i have not talked to him yet.
View Quote
Mitch didn’t respond to my question and it’s been a week now. The “general” DNR contact address didn’t either so I’ll have to take what I was told by the one who did respond as the official word. Works for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
That sucks.

I built a 8" .300 Blk with a SBPDW brace, Vortex Viper PST 1-4× and SiCo Saker so I could hunt here. First time out with it and I killed a nice buck DRT. Apparently I harvest a deer illegally this year without knowing despite reading the regulation book back to front several times.

I believe I should follow the Federal, State definition and since it doesn't say anything in the regulation book why the hell should I follow regulations from an email that someone had to ask?

I should carry documentation next time if it isn't in the regulation book.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:why the hell should I follow regulations from an email that someone had to ask?
View Quote
Yeah, it's great when people write letters to agencies to get "clarification" on gun related things, always seems to help us out ya know.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That sucks.

I built a 8" .300 Blk with a SBPDW brace, Vortex Viper PST 1-4× and SiCo Saker so I could hunt here. First time out with it and I killed a nice buck DRT. Apparently I harvest a deer illegally this year without knowing despite reading the regulation book back to front several times.

I believe I should follow the Federal, State definition and since it doesn't say anything in the regulation book why the hell should I follow regulations from an email that someone had to ask?

I should carry documentation next time if it isn't in the regulation book.
View Quote
No you didn't shoot a deer illegally. The COs are full of shit. They're making stuff up as they go.
I'll be back in MN for deer season next year and I'll be hunting all over the state with a braced 6.5 grendel. Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fan of AR pistols.  I have not used one during MN's firearms season even though our land is in the slug zone however.  I typically stand hunt with my scoped muzzleloader and push cover with my 12 gauge semi auto.  Slug recoil has never bothered me.  I've shot 50 deer with slugs.  
But I say use your legally configured AR pistol.  Carry the ATF letter regarding shouldering braces.  If confronted by a warden, read the letter in front of him so his body camera records it.  Get him to say as much rabble babble on camera as you can so if you get cited you have evidence to back your play getting it tossed in court.  Either keep making the DNR look silly with dumb interpretations, or force the issue to change via legislature.  That could open it up or close it down though.  Given how blue MN has gone lately at the state house, good luck.

I've seen first hand what idiots do with rifles when it comes to "coyote hunting" in the same areas as the slug zone in MN.  I've seen cars hit by stray bullets on federal highways.  I've seen livestock hit.  Honestly, as much as I like rifle hunting deer, it's really easy to kill one with a slug in MN.

One thing I think MN hunters need to do a much better job of is lobbying.  Get straight wall rifle calibers approved for the shotgun zone, much like iowa did.  at least give hunters some additional options besides 20/12/mz/handgun/rifle disguised as handgun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top