Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 12:58:00 AM EDT
So I'm doing an 80% pistol. I live in PA, and no serializing required here. But I want to be able to shoot it in NJ with friends there.
So.... it's my understanding that it must be serialized, or it's a felony if in NJ without one?
So my question is NOT about the actual serial # itself, but rather the "name/manufacturer" part.
As I understand it, it must have 1) name/manufacturer 2) city/state and 3) actual serial # (which could be anything).

The only part I'm hung up on what to use as "name/manufacturer". I'm the "builder" (and will be doing so in my home state of PA), so I'm assuming I have to use MY name (or is a fictitious name allowed)?
For either... does it have to be FULL name (full first, full middle, full last), or can it be initials? Or full first, middle initial, full last? Or just full first and full last name?
Any help here greatly appreciated, as confusing as NJ laws are, I'm trying to stay fully legal.
Thanks for any help/info!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, we're talking about S2465, which was just signed into law earlier this month.  This law makes it a crime to acquire the parts necessary to assemble a firearm without a serial number.  It does NOT simply state that possession of a firearm without a serial number is in and of itself a crime - because as we know, serial numbers were not required until 1968.

But - if you wanted to err on the side of caution, and TRY and make your "assembled outside of NJ under applicable state and federal laws" firearm kosher in NJ, you'd be screwed, because this statute declares that "a firearm frame or firearm receiver which is not imprinted with a serial number registered with a federally licensed manufacturer" is contraband.

Once again, NJ further muddies the waters as to what is and isn't illegal in this state with respect to firearms.  I suspect even paid legal advice would net you a definitive "maybe" to your question.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, we're talking about S2465, which was just signed into law earlier this month.  This law makes it a crime to acquire the parts necessary to assemble a firearm without a serial number.  It does NOT simply state that possession of a firearm without a serial number is in and of itself a crime - because as we know, serial numbers were not required until 1968.

But - if you wanted to err on the side of caution, and TRY and make your "assembled outside of NJ under applicable state and federal laws" firearm kosher in NJ, you'd be screwed, because this statute declares that "a firearm frame or firearm receiver which is not imprinted with a serial number registered with a federally licensed manufacturer" is contraband.

Once again, NJ further muddies the waters as to what is and isn't illegal in this state with respect to firearms.  I suspect even paid legal advice would net you a definitive "maybe" to your question.
View Quote
Dang!... I did not know that it had to be of a "federally licensed manufacturer".
Well... there goes that idea.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt bring it here. If something happens and they find it, you may be in for a world of pain.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldnt bring it here. If something happens and they find it, you may be in for a world of pain.
View Quote
Duly noted and will abide. I've decided it's not possible to do an 80 (even if fully serialized) and cross into communist NJ with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top