Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2021 12:20:07 PM EDT
Anyone from Gainesville down to Arcadia, Punta Gorda, (specifically near the peace river) over to brandenton and Tampa,  have any land with creeks and what not that a fellar can look for fossils in?

I'm up in Pensacola and always have wanted to look for ice age mammal fossils as well as older marine (sharks like megalodon, whale, etc) in that corner of the state. Plenty of public places to access but they are pretty picked over so if I'm going to make that drive I'd like to have a more private place to hunt.

Hunting would mostly consist of sifting a creek bottom. I would not do any digging on your land and of course will leave nothing but foot prints.  I run fishing charters out of Pensacola Beach so if you're ever this way I can return the favor!

Let me know if anyone is is interested in letting a fellow arfcommer play in their dirt a bit!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone from Gainesville down to Arcadia, Punta Gorda, (specifically near the peace river) over to brandenton and Tampa,  have any land with creeks and what not that a fellar can look for fossils in?

I'm up in Pensacola and always have wanted to look for ice age mammal fossils as well as older marine (sharks like megalodon, whale, etc) in that corner of the state. Plenty of public places to access but they are pretty picked over so if I'm going to make that drive I'd like to have a more private place to hunt.

Hunting would mostly consist of sifting a creek bottom. I would not do any digging on your land and of course will leave nothing but foot prints.  I run fishing charters out of Pensacola Beach so if you're ever this way I can return the favor!

Let me know if anyone is is interested in letting a fellow arfcommer play in their dirt a bit!
View Quote

Arcadia is picked pretty good, but I still managed to pull a 3 inch meg and 3 prehistoric Makos out  the last weekend in March.   We travel from Pace down to arcadia at least once a year to sift.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got some land on the hogtown creek in Gainesville.  

Tend to reserve it for taking kids to hunt sharks teeth.  We do find dugon bones, gator teeth, etc. as well.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Arcadia is picked pretty good, but I still managed to pull a 3 inch meg and 3 prehistoric Makos out  the last weekend in March.   We travel from Pace down to arcadia at least once a year to sift.
View Quote

Awesome man. I’m actually down in GB. You hunt anywhere else?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got some land on the hogtown creek in Gainesville.  

Tend to reserve it for taking kids to hunt sharks teeth.  We do find dugon bones, gator teeth, etc. as well.

View Quote

That’s so cool! We have nothing but sand and more sand for miles and miles around me. My daughter (14) and I have been watching tons of YouTube videos of people looking for sharks teeth and itching to go one of these days!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s so cool! We have nothing but sand and more sand for miles and miles around me. My daughter (14) and I have been watching tons of YouTube videos of people looking for sharks teeth and itching to go one of these days!
View Quote

Welp if you are in the area hit me up.  Mom also has a nice little pond out front for fishing in....   Wait until fall and make a day of it - we can hit GTR in the morning to pop some primers, Hogan's for lunch, hit the creek for an hour or so, fish for an hour or so and then y'all can go catch a Gator football game.  Mom's place is only 15 minutes walk from the stadium
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Friend of mine and his son do it on the peace river, they've found some neat stuff over the years.  

It's public land so I think there's some sort of a BS permit you have to have first, but it's more of a permission slip.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top