Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2021 10:35:02 AM EDT
All,

I've been looking to acquire a few acres in Warren County.  The wife unit and I want to build our forever home, and Mom wants to build a small place to be her retirement home.  She will be retiring in about 4 years.

Currently she's closer to Cincinnati and with my siblings North of town it's kind of a haul for Maw to see the grandbabies.  We don't have kids so we though being close to mom will help as she gets older.

We have been having a hell of a time finding something at a reasonable price South and Southwest of Lebanon.  Reasonable price is define as something between $8k and $12.5k per acre.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? We have already started looking on the county auditors website and sent a few letters to land owners inquiring about buying a few acres of a larger property.  The last response we did get wanted something in excess of $30k/acre.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You are not likely to find anything south of Lebanon for that price. That is the hot spot for developer's right now and they are paying around $50,000 per acre.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You can’t be serious. All the recent comps went between $8.4k and $12.5k. Nobody in their right mind is paying $50k an acre for disused farm land.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you my mother has a signed contract for $2.5M for about 50 acres and the neighbor has very similar, and it's not farm land it's timber that will need a lot of work to develop.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into Harlan Twp or Washington Twp.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you my mother has a signed contract for $2.5M for about 50 acres and the neighbor has very similar, and it's not farm land it's timber that will need a lot of work to develop.
View Quote

The timber could pay for the land itself. Look up what an acre of walnut trees is worth.

If I were looking to buy land, I'd take an undercover lumber contractor with me
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The timber could pay for the land itself. Look up what an acre of walnut trees is worth.

If I were looking to buy land, I'd take an undercover lumber contractor with me
View Quote

Unfortunately it was about 80% ash, emphasis on was.

My uncle is a lumber broker, he said it's the worst he's seen anywhere.

Basically total decimation, it's not safe to be in there if there is more than a gentle breeze.

We are going to timber anything worth a damn before the sale, but it was just done about 15 years ago so there isn't a whole lot left.

But since the developer doesn't care, and they'll just clear cut it anyway, everything worth taking will get cut.

It's going to suck not having hunting grounds 5 minutes from home, but 2.5M buys a lot more hunting ground than that 50 acres.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Look in maineville. There is a farm that is selling parcels at sr 48 and schlottman rd.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look in maineville. There is a farm that is selling parcels at sr 48 and schlottman rd.
View Quote

Thanks @Alphabilly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
There's farm land on mounts rd in Maineville I think they're selling in 5 acre lots
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top