Posted: 7/9/2018 12:16:48 AM EDT
Me and my family are on our annual trip to Florida. This year we'll be adding
Key West to our journeys. In short, what are some tips & tricks that we should
be aware of during our time there, such as places to see, things to do, and/or
places to eat?

So far on our list is the Hemingway Home, Mallory Square, Southernmost Point,
Truman Beach, and Butterfly & Nature Conservatory. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions!

By the way, that was an awesome race last night at the Speedway!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Key West Lighthouse gives the best all-around view, across the street from Hemingway House.

If  the weather is good, the ferry out to Fort Jefferson is a nice ride, visit the fort, snorkel if you want -- it is an all-day thing.

The Tropic Cinema is a neat art-deco movie theater [only one, Regal still closed from Hurricane Irma] that serves beer, wine, real butter, unique snacks.

A little "touristy", but if you have never been to KW, do one of the Conch Trains/Trolley. All the different companies are fine, pick any one.

Sunset drinks and/or tour at the USS Ingham [near Fort Zachary Taylor and Eco-Discovery Center].

Eco-Discovery Center is small, but free and free parking.

Fort Zachary Taylor requires admission, but nice beaches without being hassled.

Only one gun range in the Keys [not counting Key Largo], on Big Coppitt http://www.bigcoppittgunclub.com/ about 8 miles from KW proper.

Don
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas is a day trip by boat. A Civil War era fort that Dr. Mudd was sentenced to for setting J W Booths broken leg after shooting Lincoln at the Ford Theater.
Good snorkeling and a tour of the fort plus an hour boat ride back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The salvage museum is pretty cool. Sunset at Mallory square is fun- lots of wacky street performers. Lots of great Cuban food at various holes in the wall. The coolest bar there is Cpt. Tony's- lots of interesting history there- along with the history of The Captain himself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Take the Conch Train or Key West Trolly tour.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We're in Key West now as a matter of fact.  Find out what the cruise ship schedule is and try to go to the more touristy spots (Hemingway's, the Southernmost Point, etc.) when the ships aren't in port.  Our second day here had two Carnival and a Norwegian ship in.  It was a madhouse anywhere near Duval St.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Key West Food Tours will get you a decent sampling of real Key West food.

Blue Heaven for breakfast, Seven Fish for dinner (Reservations recommended),   El Siboney for cheap and fantastic Cuban, Pepe's Cafe for breakfast (under the bougainvillea), Two Friends and Harpoon Harry's for breakfast/brunch, Louie's Backyard for drinks on the deck but the food is nowhere near what it was two decades ago, Higgs Beach is right there so spend some time at the beach while at Louie's, White Street Sandwich Shop (look for the laundromat) for Cuban Coffee, Fort Zach for the real beach, walk in to avoid paying but it's a bit of a hike, Bahia Honda for snorkeling, otherwise a boat to the reef or Dry Tortugas, and...

A walk down Duval at night, then again in the daylight.  Different worlds.

For a real treat, look for the Garden Club tours and do the Fort Zach tour as well as the East Martello museum and West Martello tower and gardens.  If you decide to take the Ghost Tour, You're Doomed! :)

My advice, find a hammock and chill.

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Pepe's on Caroline St. for breakfast.

If Pete & Wayne are at Sloppy Joe's you will laugh your ass off for four hours. However, it is NOT a show for kids.

"Danger" Charters for a great booze and kayaking cruise. You sail out to "the lakes" kayak around the mangroves for a while, snorkel and drink beer/wine.

Stop by Captain Tony's Saloon and say hello to Mitch for me. Also, a great little dive to drink cheaper beer during the day.

The Mel Fisher Treasure Museum is interesting. kinda pricey but interesting.

Mallory Square at Sunset. Make sure to see Dominic the Lunatic and his Cat show.

The Key West Aquarium

The ghost trolley tour.

Take a walk through the Key West Cemetery. Visit the graves of the unclaimed from the USS Maine.

Top of the Roof at the La Concha.

Margaritaville (the original on Duval and/or the new resort at what was the Westin) if you like Jimmy Buffett at all. Personally I think he is a narcissistic douche but his '70s & '80s stuff I still listen too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.currymansion.com/

This is an awesome place to stay - right in the heart of where you want to be....

With the parking, breakfast, and happy hour - it will just about pay for itself.

You can thank me later.

Do stop in the wide worlds sportsman and see the sister boat to Hemingway pillar

I would recommend you stay a day or two in marathon - snorkel the reef and check out the work camp under the seven mile bridge.  rent a boat and go make a day of playing at Molasses key - go skinny dip with the lady - LOL

Rent a convertible - it makes the keys more fun.

Red
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top