Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 5:54:12 PM EDT
I really need a break. I already live near beaches & I don't want to go to amusement parks. I was thinking about Kennedy. I have never been there.
Are there special packages I should spring for or is a normal tour enough? 1 day or 2? Be me & my GF.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
One day is fine.  I took my son there two years back and it was $50 for adults.  A great idea if you like history and space tech.  Much more security conscious since 911.  They used to let you off the bus at a few spots like the crawlers and launch pad but those days are gone.  Lots to do.  Several imax theatres, Apollo center and Atlantis are the best.  Make sure your pockets are empty if you board the space shuttle launch simulator!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you live close enough to make it worthwhile, the price of an annual pass is about double a single day pass.

I haven't been for years, but it's time.  I love KSC.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a day, but it's a solid day, get there at opening time.

There is a bunch of stuff at the main visitor center, then there are the busses that take you out to the VAB and pads.
Jump one of those tours early, they stop running in the afternoon, then spend the remainder of the day at the main area.
There is a cafeteria place there. It's awful.
They also have various guest speakers. They are hit or miss, getting through astronaut training doesn't make you a good public speaker... some are pretty cool. Last one I caught was a Skylab guy, had some great stories. You can find out who is speaking and the times on the website.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a good day trip. They have a real actual complete Saturn V on display, and they did a great job giving Atlantis a good home. Bonus points if you can time it so there's a launch that day, but the crowds are probably ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in that area for a couple of days in Mar/Apr time frame with an old Army pilot buddy.

I think KSC was $58 per adult so we passed and went to the Valiant Warbird Museum in Titusville.

Very cool...and they have the only flyable F-82 Twin Mustang...and it's for sale!

The volunteers were fun to talk to. Some old veteran pilots from the 50's and 60's.

Just another idea.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second that the Valiant Air Command museum is worth a visit.
They have some neat stuff and the folks are friendly. They have an A-4 that still flies, the mechanic was working on it right there in the museum hanger last time I was there. My buddy asked him a question and we ended up having a 20-30 minute conversation about the bird. Good times.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The Artemis 1 launch vehicle should be at the pad 8/19 and launch is 8/29. I saw the tour buses come by a few time when it was there for testing a couple months ago. I don't know if that was a special package or not. There may be a couple days in that window that things are going on the bus will not be able to go out there, hazardous ops at pad a or b.

It can be seen pretty well from the Saturn V building but if there's a bus tour that does a drive by it may be worth it to you.

Attachment Attached File

The visitors center launch pass tickets are sold out and I think the news said local hotels are booked for launch date too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, thanks......
Booked a hotel for Sept. Staying 1 night & bought the standard tour day pass for the next day.  Space is GF approved. Not sure I could get her into the other museum.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't been in over three decades, but it was great fun for a nerdy boy. Saw many a shuttle launch too, from a distance. I keep meaning to go, but I'm not staying there and I travel with guns and what not.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep especially if you get to see a launch.
There are a lot of museums in the area.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, thanks......
Booked a hotel for Sept. Staying 1 night & bought the standard tour day pass for the next day.  Space is GF approved. Not sure I could get her into the other museum.  

View Quote

Have dinner at Dixie Crossroads. Pleasant local seafood place.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The window for Artemis launch tix opened online as I was waiting to board a flight. Got put into a queue ….no luck and sold out fast.

First time I went was in the late 70s. Shuttle was still in development, Canaveral was a “self guided driving tour” with glorious access. Went again about 15 years ago….fascinating from the history side but depressing in that it felt stagnant (and they had an A7LB suit with Armstrong’s name on it, for gods sake!).

Definitely overdue for a visit, I’m kinda geeked about Artemis…
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just there 2 weeks ago. Do yourself a favor and get there early. We went on a Saturday, arrived at 830. After they opened up we went right for the bus tour line. That brought you over to the Apollo building. We spent about 3 hours or more there. Do it first or you risk not seeing it if it's a busy day there. Once you get back you can see the rest of the museum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
KSC is well worth it.  The 'then and now' add on tour is very good.  

Reminder: if you take a firearm leave it in the car and don't talk about it.  KSC is a federal installation, they honor no CCW, and they have metal detectors.  They will arrest for possession of a firearm on the installation.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The window for Artemis launch tix opened online as I was waiting to board a flight. Got put into a queue ….no luck and sold out fast.

First time I went was in the late 70s. Shuttle was still in development, Canaveral was a “self guided driving tour” with glorious access. Went again about 15 years ago….fascinating from the history side but depressing in that it felt stagnant (and they had an A7LB suit with Armstrong’s name on it, for gods sake!).

Definitely overdue for a visit, I’m kinda geeked about Artemis…
View Quote

Spaceview park is good for launches, but I recommend this place:  https://www.explorationtower.com/

Their rooftop observation deck provides a good viewing spot.

Edit: belay that - they are closed for construction work until 2/2023
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top