Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2022 11:07:19 PM EDT
I’m planning on taking a weekend trip soon.  Any tips and advice?  Is this a 1 day event or do I need to plan on more?  It’ll be me, my wife and a 7 yr old boy.  Any other local attractions that we should hit up?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m planning on taking a weekend trip soon.  Any tips and advice?  Is this a 1 day event or do I need to plan on more?  It’ll be me, my wife and a 7 yr old boy.  Any other local attractions that we should hit up?  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Take one of the extended tours if possible, there were two available last time I was there, a history type dealing with launch areas and equipment from the space race and a behind the scenes that deals with SpaceX and other current projects. It's certainly worth the trip and the upgraded tours are worth the extra money.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/explore-attractions/behind-the-gates/cape-canaveral-early-space-tour

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/explore-attractions/behind-the-gates/kennedy-space-center-explore-tour

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's one day. Get there early. The main area has a bunch of exhibits you can walk through at your own pace, then there are busses that take you out to see the VAB, launch pads and the like. Hop one of those tours first thing, then when you get back to the main area you can wander about as you see fit.
They have a cafeteria, but the food wasn't very good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

“Wasn’t very good” is being polite. The food there is awful. But KSC is a good time. You can get it all done in one day, but you’ll be there for longer than you think. Cocoa Beach is close. Ron Jon is worth checking out if you’ve never been to one. Canaveral National Seashore (Playalinda), Titusville’s downtown area, Melbourne. There’s a Bass Pro in Palm Bay that has live gators.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My daughter is obsessed with rockets.  However, when we went there, I think they were prepping for a launch or something because all the bus tours were shut down.  With just visiting the visitors center, you can actually do it in half a day.  Nice day for my five year old, but the tours would have made it better.  Next time I'll call in advance.

Also agree on the crappy food.  Man, it was bad.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's one day. Get there early. The main area has a bunch of exhibits you can walk through at your own pace, then there are busses that take you out to see the VAB, launch pads and the like. Hop one of those tours first thing, then when you get back to the main area you can wander about as you see fit.
View Quote

This is correct.
I've taken my family there 3 times in last 9 years and we enjoy it a lot.
Get there early, like as soon as it opens and you can see everything by dark.
If you go in summer drink a lot of water as the sun and humidity can wear you out quick.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, they have guest speakers all the time. Former astronauts talking about their missions, stuff like that. Check that as soon as you get there and decide if it's something you want to catch. They are usually mid afternoon. Last time there had a guy who was on Skylab, was pretty interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top