Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2023 7:38:48 PM EDT
I may be scouting some areas N of Anchorage and down the Kenai peninsula from Kenai to Anchor Point / Homer.
As far as the touristy areas of the Kenai peninsula, does/is a lot of the area closed up for the off season?

Generally, is there any increased frequency of bridge, tunnel, road closures that start up as soon as October?
I wont be taking any ferries, this is just going to be a lot of weekend driving, checking neighborhoods and rural areas then heading right back out.
A few RV rental places are already closed for the season.

Is the flooding over yet? Did it cause much damage or anything?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the peninsula shuts down after September, almost nothing is open on the homer spit, lots of seasonal homes down here on the peninsula. It gets nice and quiet when everyone leaves. Kenai and Soldotna have more year round open places than the rest of the bigger towns down here but its still slow. As far as flooding its pretty bad on the Kenai, seeing lots of bad photos from friends who have homes on the river, I flew out for work right before the flooding got bad so I haven't been home to see it first hand. Are you looking to move down here?
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I had some hints and suspicion of things shutting down a bit, so I was trying to gauge potential conveniences and inconveniences of coming in the off season.
Then I saw the news about the flooding. One of the RV rentals I was going to use already closed up for the season.

The intent is to find at least a place to go spend time in when we can, if not full time. I have been looking a while and started looking primarily into cabins, dry cabins, what might turn out to be wet dilapidated moldy shacks with questionable foundations, but are almost priced accordingly and reducing. So its getting near time to narrow some areas down and maybe grab something. Might hang out in something like that to look around the state more while waiting to see what the market does, maybe even just a property to park a camper on seasonally if nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be aware, it seems glamorous but most of remote living in Alaska is a full time job in and of itself. The elements beat the hell out of everything and require a lot of maintenance. You'd need to have someone in the winter to manage snow loading, most land in Alaska is a swamp so trying to get a piece of land that has usable water (The peninsula is all water but most of it is full of tannins and arsenic) it seems like everyone and their brother watched the shows about up here and bought up everything trying to live the dream. For most, its not working out, its dark, cold and wet except for a couple months out of the year. On top of that its expensive to get most raw materials. Alaskans are getting pretty fed up with transplants so it'll take a while for most to accept you, especially if you're coming from a blue state. They won't be rude or anything but contractors etc... won't answer your call most times with an out of state number and if you can get someone out to do the work they'll charge you an exorbitant amount. Its a great place to live but its not easy, recommend coming up and staying a while during the worst parts of the year and learning more about it first hand before committing to a property. It really helps to have a support system here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top