Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 12:05:17 PM EDT
Me and my son started Kayaking, and we wanted to share some of the places we have been and pick up a few tips.

I have an inflatable two man kayak (because I'm overweight--it is just for me).

I just bought him a menards kayak to replace his inflatable which kept getting holes from the truck or fences we dragged them over.

One place we liked that we found no info on was Sunrise pool #1 in Stacy, which we best accessed East of Stacy at dam #1 early this spring.  
We also tried to Access it from the South via where it runs under the bridge, but the water got to about 3" at the second turn to the left so we went back.  We saw two Heron, a turtle head, and a huge colony of swallows under the bridge, plus some pregnant leeches stuck to our kayak bottoms.  Lots of bugs.  My brother used to bow hunt carp here and it was my dads favorite fishing hole his whole life.

Dam Access put in at cursor:
Attachment Attached File

Road access and kayak popping fence put in at cursor:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Been trying to find time to go hit Minnehaha creek again. I’m to lazy for lakes, I kayak rivers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats it like on a river--we want to try but just started and dont know where would be a good starter river.

Do you paddle back upstream to your start point or do you get dropped off and picked up?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats it like on a river--we want to try but just started and dont know where would be a good starter river.

Do you paddle back upstream to your start point or do you get dropped off and picked up?
View Quote

Rivers are mostly tame. Minnehaha is something like 22 miles if you go from lake Minnetonka to just before Minnehaha falls.

We use two vehicles and go back and pick up the drop off vehicle once done.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Rum River from the Rum River Central Regional Park to the Anoka County Fairgrounds is nice and tame. That’s my wife’s favorite paddle.

We drop off my wife’s car at the downstream end-point. She hops in my truck and we go to the upstream start-point and put in the river. Once done, she stays with the ‘yaks while I take her car and go grab my truck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Kayaking is awesome. Was kayaking and hiking in the bwca last week.  I fish from my kayaks most of the time. Practice getting in them from the water where it’s calm. You never know when you’ll capsize so it’s good to practice beforehand.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Down in the metro my wife and I kayaked Rice Creek from Lexington Ave to Mounds View Blvd, which was pretty nice.  You can kayak it longer than just that stretch.  You do have to consider the water level in the spring though as it runs under county road I and it might be wise to get out and portage.  The portage spot is before you can see the bridge/culvert so if you don't make your decision before hand things could get tricky.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Robinson Park in Sandstone which is on the Kettle River is pretty popular for Kayaking.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We are contemplating a river run but i want to upgrade from my 2 person inflatable before then

We have yakked howard lake (w of forest lake) twice, and little lake near center city.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thinking about kayaking this weekend, but the rivers are low.

Minnehaha is too low.

Considering:

Cannon River from Faribault to Northfield or maybe a different stretch
St Croix from Taylors falls to Osceola landing
Rum from Isanti to St Francis

Anybody have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are willing to travel a little further check out the Crow Wing river. I canoed and floated it many times as a kid. You can do day trips or 2-4 day trips. There are campgrounds along the way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are willing to travel a little further check out the Crow Wing river. I canoed and floated it many times as a kid. You can do day trips or 2-4 day trips. There are campgrounds along the way.
View Quote

I've camped up there, that would be fun. Not enough time this trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top