Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 7:26:38 PM EDT
Like the title says, I just moved here from South Carolina. I’m an active duty Marine and will be here for the foreseeable future. I’m looking for some guidance on shooting ranges and public hunting opportunities. From my google searches, I haven’t been able to find much into long distance shooting ranges. I have been getting into PRS and long range hunting and would like to find a range that’s 500+ yards. The only ones I’ve found nearby are 100 yard ranges with range officers, that’s not really my style. For hunting land, it seems like the southeast of the state offers the best opportunities.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Spring Valley shooting range is pretty nice.  It just got revamped not too long ago.

It's about 30 minutes from the Dayton area.

https://ohiodnr.gov/go-and-do/plan-a-visit/find-a-property/spring-valley-wildlife-area-shooting-range

ETA- Sorry..I see you wanted longer ranges.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spring Valley shooting range is pretty nice.  It just got revamped not too long ago.

It's about 30 minutes from the Dayton area.

https://ohiodnr.gov/go-and-do/plan-a-visit/find-a-property/spring-valley-wildlife-area-shooting-range

ETA- Sorry..I see you wanted longer ranges.
View Quote

Thanks, yeah I’ve seen that one and it looks like a nice range. I may head over there this week to check it out. I’m trying to get more distance though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It’ll be a drive from you but Thunder Valley over near Kimbolton goes past a mile. Never been myself, but I have heard mostly good things. No other long ranges that I know of really, for sure not by me.

As for hunting, SE Ohio is great! Thats my region, and pretty much everyone hunts. I don’t know much about public land however.

Welcome to Ohio. Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You should definitely take advantage of being near Camp Perry, and go to a shoot at least once
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
welcome!

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thunder Valley and Rayner's are the two long distance places in the state from what I hear.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’ll be a drive from you but Thunder Valley over near Kimbolton goes past a mile. Never been myself, but I have heard mostly good things. No other long ranges that I know of really, for sure not by me.

Welcome to Ohio. Enjoy your stay.
View Quote

Thunder Valley is a must, owned and run by Tom Sarver, a Scout Sniper. Been up there off and on over the past 15yrs. His set up is nice, and I've shot off the line out to 1,200yrds, and took part in a competition many many years ago, but had no idea what I was doing. I have more of a clue now and have DOPE on my 6.5cm out to 1,200yrds.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to Ohio!

Maybe someone in the Indiana HTF knows for sure, I thought there was a long distance range in Indiana not too far from Dayton.  Maybe that would work?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the place in Indiana I was thinking of http://cihprs.wildapricot.org/ is a couple hours from Dayton, and longest distance is 1200yds.  Active military can join for free.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info everyone! I’ll check out the range in Indiana and thunder valley for sure. I’ve been through camp perry a bunch when I used to drive to Nebraska to stop at the cmp store. I’ll definitely be making a few trips up there while I’m here, especially to fish around port Clinton.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the area and SEMPER FI!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in Washington Township/Centerville.  My wife is stationed at Wright-Patt.

It's a bit of a drive from Dayton, but Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmans Association is a great club.

Give me a shout if you'd like to go shoot  
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
A lot of us here in hometown are members of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association.

The best way I can describe it is what gun shows used to look like in decades past. Shows are in Wilmington which is an easy drive from the base area.

Its members only but thats not an issue

OGCA
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I belong to a private club just across the state line in Boston, IN.
Pistol, movable targets to 25 yd
Rifle 100 yd with target holders at 25, 50 , 100
Another Rifle 200 yd.
One day a week shoot over 100 and 200 for 300 yd.

$70 a year. No range officer.

Old trails rifle and pistol range.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top