Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2020 7:03:48 PM EDT
Please, no out of towners fill this thread with opinions and what not.

I just got an email from UAA. They are extending spring break for a week. UAA is moving classes to an online platform for the rest of the semester. They are advising students who live in the dorms to make plans to go to their permanent residences if they are not currently there for spring break. I'm going to the store to stock up on every day food and sanitation items. We are solid as far as emergency food rations but figured I'd inform those who may not know that this is going on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wife was at Costco in Fairbanks last night and they didn’t have any tp or paper towels. Napkins were limit 2 per customer.

Still had beer though and that’s what really matters.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
ASD added a week to spring break
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wife was at Costco in Fairbanks last night and they didn’t have any tp or paper towels. Napkins were limit 2 per customer.

Still had beer though and that’s what really matters.
View Quote
Fred Meyer, Lowe's, and Three Bears are all out of toilet paper and sanitation items. I'll assume Wal-Mart and other stores are the same. I heard FM had TP at 5am this morning but were sold out by the time I got there at 2:30pm. Just a thought, there is still good amounts of baby wipes. Apparently the hoarders aren't stock piling that stuff. So may add that as option if you didn't stock up on TP, which we did not.

I'm guessing the news of schools extending spring break, and UAA going to an online platform to finish the semester got everyone spooked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Safeway is OOS on a lot of stuff and has zero restock or restock sells the moment it hits the floor.  Rationing is in effect in a lot of places.
UAF is closing dorms by Tuesday according to the News Miner, among other things.

Any major restock is 2-3 weeks in transit at minimum, so pucker up.  Lots of things are OOS on the distributor level as well, so it might get interesting.

Between this destroying tourist season and oil prices going through the floor, I'm absolutely looking forward to the utter chaos in Juneau when budget plans get laid out.  We're boned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Safeway is OOS on a lot of stuff and has zero restock or restock sells the moment it hits the floor.  Rationing is in effect in a lot of places.
UAF is closing dorms by Tuesday according to the News Miner, among other things.

Any major restock is 2-3 weeks in transit at minimum, so pucker up.  Lots of things are OOS on the distributor level as well, so it might get interesting.

Between this destroying tourist season and oil prices going through the floor, I'm absolutely looking forward to the utter chaos in Juneau when budget plans get laid out.  We're boned.
View Quote
Yes, Alaska's going to be a lot like Maine or Vermont in a few years. Small population with no major industries or companies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Will be like the old days before big oil came.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have post access Wainwright commissary still had all the essentials as of last night but it was going fast.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have post access Wainwright commissary still had all the essentials as of last night but it was going fast.
View Quote
That's a good idea. I should go check JBER.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Even ammo at Sportsmans is rationed now per Rosta97, sheesh....

I am decent on emergency supplies but we need to go grocery shopping for more day to day.

This is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I was at Walmart in Fairbanks this morning and they had paper towels baby wipes etc. but it definitely got busier the longer I spent there and saw people say later they were sold out of all that stuff.

And yeah I went to sportsman’s and Ammo is limited to 3 boxes per person per caliber unless the box is 100rds or more it’s 1 box. Most of the people in there were buying Ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah I was at Walmart in Fairbanks this morning and they had paper towels baby wipes etc. but it definitely got busier the longer I spent there and saw people say later they were sold out of all that stuff.

And yeah I went to sportsman’s and Ammo is limited to 3 boxes per person per caliber unless the box is 100rds or more it’s 1 box. Most of the people in there were buying Ammo.
View Quote
Must be a fairbanks thing.  Bought some ammo today at Sportsmans and there was no limit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
FFD sent home an entire shift to self quarantine.  One guy just got back to the US from a hot country and was symptomatic on shift.

This employee was displaying some of the symptoms that are consistent with COVID-19 and has recently returned from an area that has been hit hard with the virus. The employee is being tested for COVID-19 and we will know the results tomorrow [Saturday]. In an abundance of caution, the entire shift has been sent home to be quarantined until the results are known, the department will be undergoing extra cleaning, and mutual aid departments will be covering our fire/EMS calls until we get other FFD personnel in to cover the shift.

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/news/Fairbanks-Fire-Department-employee-being-tested-for-coronavirus-568787951.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFD sent home an entire shift to self quarantine.  One guy just got back to the US from a hot country and was symptomatic on shift.

This employee was displaying some of the symptoms that are consistent with COVID-19 and has recently returned from an area that has been hit hard with the virus. The employee is being tested for COVID-19 and we will know the results tomorrow [Saturday]. In an abundance of caution, the entire shift has been sent home to be quarantined until the results are known, the department will be undergoing extra cleaning, and mutual aid departments will be covering our fire/EMS calls until we get other FFD personnel in to cover the shift.

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/news/Fairbanks-Fire-Department-employee-being-tested-for-coronavirus-568787951.html
View Quote
Former roommate of mine was on the shift, good times.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope your former roommate is ok.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Fred Meyer in Palmer is pretty decimated. Canned foods, cold juice, deli meats, baking aisle, and obviously the TP/sanitation aisles are almost, if not completely wiped out. The people stocking the shelves had very little to restock, as I was walking through this evening.

Much thanks to those still serving the public.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope all of you and your loved ones are doing well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top