Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2023 1:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974]
On my way back home and saw a bald eagle flying through traffic at the C / S. Country Club drive intersection. Looks like it caught a fish from a nearby pond. It was flying so low, and the Renegade in front of me had to stop mid turn to avoid hitting it. In all my years here, it's the first one I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats odd you dont see many.

I see trees where they are thicker than crows.

I wish I would have taken better pictures last spring during the carp spawn. Dive bombing and trying to grab 10+ lb carp. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Thats odd you dont see many.

I see trees where they are thicker than crows.

I wish I would have taken better pictures last spring during the carp spawn. Dive bombing and trying to grab 10+ lb carp. Lol.
View Quote

I would say the fish it had was a good 2-3 pounds. Either way, they bird seemed to be struggling with it. I wish I could have taken a picture, as it's only the second one I've seen in the wild.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a nesting pair along the Bourbeuse a few years back. Right along the road that runs next to the bluff overlooking the river.  Pretty close to town.  I've seen a few on the edges of town.

Mostly it's peregrine falcons in town though. Have at least two within kitten eating distance of my house.
I had a group of Scouts prepping for a hike in the front yard when a Grey kitten from a neighbor's litter came walking out to say hi. We were watching it make its way over to us when a falcon swooped down and carried it off to the top of a tall sycamore tree.  My youngest son at the time was trying to be friendly with the kittens and insisted it was a squirrel and not the cat. His brothers still like to bug him about that 10ish years later now.

Would be interesting to see a bald eagle do that. We've seen lots of them along the Missouri, Meremec, and from the bridge over the Gasconade.

Some places they seem to becoming a minor nuisance.  Rivers get I threshing when the eagles and otters return. I'm not much of a fisherman so I don't mind, but they do create a change in the balance of nature.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
Had a nesting pair along the Bourbeuse a few years back. Right along the road that runs next to the bluff overlooking the river.  Pretty close to town.  I've seen a few on the edges of town.

Mostly it's peregrine falcons in town though. Have at least two within kitten eating distance of my house.
I had a group of Scouts prepping for a hike in the front yard when a Grey kitten from a neighbor's litter came walking out to say hi. We were watching it make its way over to us when a falcon swooped down and carried it off to the top of a tall sycamore tree.  My youngest son at the time was trying to be friendly with the kittens and insisted it was a squirrel and not the cat. His brothers still like to bug him about that 10ish years later now.

Would be interesting to see a bald eagle do that. We've seen lots of them along the Missouri, Meremec, and from the bridge over the Gasconade.

Some places they seem to becoming a minor nuisance.  Rivers get I threshing when the eagles and otters return. I'm not much of a fisherman so I don't mind, but they do create a change in the balance of nature.
View Quote

Had one steal a wood duck I shot about 10 years ago.

Splashed the duck about 25' from shore, start the walk from the blind and the eagle just swooped down and snagged it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
very thick down here by current river... i went to the barn two days ago and jumped four off the carcass pile left over from deer season....
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Had one land on a limb about 15' away from me while I was bow hunting along the Missouri River.

It was focused on something 180 degrees away from me so it never knew I was there.

Birds of prey while deer and turkey hunting are commonplace for me.  I still feel very fortunate every time it happens.

Most kick-ass episode to date?
I was so close to the owl, I could hear the skin being ripped off the tweety bird when it was feeding.  2006 or 2007 timeframe.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Saw two this morning.......in the winter months it's rare that I DON'T see at least one along the Meramec.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#10]
We see them year-round in North Central Missouri.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a nesting pair about halfway between my house and the nearest small town.  I know they're not uncommon here, but it's still hard not to stare at them every time I drive by.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I live near Stockton Lake and we see them quite often. I know where a couple nests are and in the spring, they're always nearby.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Had one steal a wood duck I shot about 10 years ago.

Splashed the duck about 25' from shore, start the walk from the blind and the eagle just swooped down and snagged it.
View Quote
I had one try to catch a wood duck less than four feet from me as I was sitting in my kayak.  So close it splashed me.  The duck escaped.  This was on the north prong of the Cuiver River north of Troy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FshHead:
View Quote
North East too.  I see them year round.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FshHead:
View Quote
I see eagles on a regular basis here in Montgomery County.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I see eagles on a regular basis here in Montgomery County.
View Quote

Same here in Callaway County. In fact, there's a mature bald eagle that frequents the pond in my subdivision. I've watched it from my back deck many times.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
I saw one standing in shallow water just to the west of the highway 141 bridge over the Meramec river in Valley Park on Saturday.

See quite a few of them along the Mississippi, but have seen them now along the Meramec on a few occasions as well.
View Quote

Pretty cool spot to see one!

I've cruised through that spot in my old River Jon with/ the red jet conversion many times.  When the water is low, you only have a few feet width of water that's deep enough to make it through that spot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
There’s at least one nesting pair just south of the southwest power plant in Springfield. And I’ve seen one occasionally at the landfill I work at.

My FIL sees them all the time near California, Mo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
There has been a pair nesting at Simpson Lake in Valley Park for a number of years. I have not checked recently to see if they are still there. There has been another pair nesting approx. 3 miles West of Simpson Lake on the Meramec behind my house that I see quite often.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Starting to see more and more in my area. Past spring going to town, I got attention of wife in car that 2 mated eagles were flying along side us. Couple years ago I got a pic on my cell phone when I stopped in my driveway to drop off groceries and a mature eagle was in a tree in back yard about 30yds from where I stopped.

All my barn/yard cats also saw it, as not one cat was out in the open as usual when we drove up.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#22]
See them a lot around Duck Creek and Mingo  NWR.
Seen some around Otter slough too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in BOCO not far from Mingo or Castor River Conservation area. They're thick down here, I usually don't go a week without seeing a couple. Had one sitting in the middle of HWY 34 eating a dead Le Pew about a month ago. Growing up I was always taught how majestic they were and they only are fish. Then I move here and I always see them sitting on the side of the road eating roadkill like some kind of crackhead.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Used to watch them fish from one of our treestands on the banks of the sac, couple miles north of 54. God i miss that place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1271] [#27]
I'm near Warrenton and we had a bald eagle make a couple passes at the chickens lol.

The wife was out there and it peeled off after noticing her.

We see them fairly regularly.

Attachment Attached File

This was out the window of a friend's new place he built at Innsbrook. We were there for Thanksgiving dinner. He has stocked the lake on which he lives with trout and has a feeder programmed to go off each afternoon. The eagle has figured this out and shows up regularly for dinner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like nobody posted this Eagle story yet.   https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/12/must-see-bald-eagle-lands-mans-shoulder-after/
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:21:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#30]
tons of eagles and eagle nests along the big muddy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top