Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 8:08:44 PM EDT
Hey all,

I'm looking at selling my house in VA and jumping the border into West Virginia, and looking for some input. I work from home, but I am tied to an Arlington, VA office and HR policy is living within 100 miles of the office aligned to. My job is pretty safe I believe, especially since I can't be outsourced (must be US citizen) but just in case would be good to not be super far from IT jobs (I do networking, firewall, cloud).

The link below shows the approximate range into WV, which would be a few areas of Eastern WV.

100 mile radius

*fixed link, i think

Looking for input on counties I should start off the search for a house in. I would like to get enough acreage to shoot on if possible, and need to be within reasonable distance of good primary care doc and cardiology. Decent schools may be a good idea in case I snag a WV bride, ha. And even if not, better for resale down the road I spose. I'm single with no kids at the moment.

I'm not really familiar with much of WV except for Charlestown and Morgantown, so I don't really know anything about the counties.

*ETA, as I work from home I need fast reliable Internet.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Jefferson and Berkeley counties both close enough to Arlington, and good cardiology close by in Winchester (or Jefferson in Charles Town if an emergency).  Ranges too, such as 340 defense and peacemaker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good cardiac care puts you close to Winchester not Martinsburg.

Fast, reliable internet and enough land to shoot on are mutually exclusive.

I would look in south Berkeley not Jefferson County.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, thanks guys! I probably won't be looking to buy for months, so maybe I will get lucky and Starlink will become available.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]
suggest you spend time finding a GOOD realtor.  just went through this exact thing, PM me if you want details.  Good luck!

Anyone in the know on Starlink re: WV, what is the estimated availability in WV?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Went through the same move last year, sold my home in Loudoun and moved to Jefferson County. I only have 3 acres (half open half wooded) but my neighbors are cool so I have a little setup in my woods and sometimes they join me to play. High Speed was essential and although I have almost half a mile of gravel road to get to my home, we have comcast. We looked all over Virginia and WVA but once we started looking at Culpeper and Clarke and further out in VA, WVA actually had more high speed availability - but that is purely anecdotal to us. A great realtor is a must and we had a great one. This was a 2 year process but when we saw things turning in 2019 we set our sights on WVA and it was not a hard decision. With Covid traffic, leaving at 630am or so, I can be in DC in a bout 1.5 hours and I don't even have to take the toll road. I only have to commute in once a week so i'm happy.
gene

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Devotedad, wife and I are looking to move to WVA as well. Could you tell us who your realtor was?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
We do some photography work for this guy.  He's one of the top realtors in the EPH each year.
https://www.longandfoster.com/AgentSearch/WAaronPoling-10482105
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We do some photography work for this guy.  He's one of the top realtors in the EPH each year.
https://www.longandfoster.com/AgentSearch/WAaronPoling-10482105
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Devotedad, wife and I are looking to move to WVA as well. Could you tell us who your realtor was?
View Quote

I'll send you a PM
Thanks
DD
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll send you a PM
Thanks
DD
View Quote

I received your PM and responded. Not sure if it went through because I didn't save my reply.
I just wanted to make sure I thanked you for the information. The wife and I appreciated it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I received your PM and responded. Not sure if it went through because I didn't save my reply.
I just wanted to make sure I thanked you for the information. The wife and I appreciated it.
View Quote

Yes sir... had to do my once a week pilgrimage to DC today and didn't get a chance to reply. Will do in a bit.
Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top